IGNORED

Arcade Cabinet Modification Project

VectorGamer

That thing is looking great, man! Is that control panel from a real Galaga? Looks like it is.

The control panel, overlay, buttons and joystick are from MikesArcade.com

Overlay

Control Panel

Joystick

This is looking really good so far, keep up the great work.

If I may, I'd like to put in my two cents regarding the monitor. I use an authentic arcade monitor in my MAME cabinet and then I tie it to a very cool device called the Universal Video Converter made by Ultracade.

I also use the controller interface called the GP-Wiz. they make one that uses the standard PS2 keyboard input on a pc or USB.

With these two devices in place your arcade experience will be much more realistic and the cost is not too bad either.

Whatever you decide, just keep plugging away at it :)

Can you refer me to a vendor to purchase the monitor from? I need a 19" CRT monitor for this cabinet. Maybe you know someone besides Happs Controls?

Can you refer me to a vendor to purchase the monitor from? I need a 19" CRT monitor for this cabinet. Maybe you know someone besides Happs Controls?

Whate we did was consult local arcade and entertainment rental places. they usually have warehouses full of old crap they want to get rid of so check your local yellow pages and make some calls.

if that does not work, scour craig's list and ebay. you'll find one soon enough for cheap, possibly even free.

• 1 month later...

I haven't updated in a while and I will post pix soon of my progress. I am soon at project completion as I started mounting the boards in the cabinet and I just need a monitor, marquee and monitor with trimmings to complete it.

Question:

I am going to need a 19" vertical CRT monitor to mount in the Satan's Hollow cabinet. I need it to hook up to a PC and it needs to be powered as you would a standard PC monitor.

Anyhow, since the monitor will be the most expensive piece, does anyone have a list of recommendations so that I can shop around for the most cost effective solution?

I haven't updated in a while and I will post pix soon of my progress. I am soon at project completion as I started mounting the boards in the cabinet and I just need a monitor, marquee and monitor with trimmings to complete it.

Question:

I am going to need a 19" vertical CRT monitor to mount in the Satan's Hollow cabinet. I need it to hook up to a PC and it needs to be powered as you would a standard PC monitor.

Anyhow, since the monitor will be the most expensive piece, does anyone have a list of recommendations so that I can shop around for the most cost effective solution?

refer to my post above, especially when it comes to checking the yellow pages for local arcade dealers. craig's list works sometimes too.

Another question:

I know that in networking you need to keep your copper runs away from fluorescent lights. Does this hold true for keeping fluorescent lights away from the control panel wiring? If so, what is the distance to maintain?

Might want to ask Cassidy Nolen about this one. he's a member and moderator her on AA.

dang, what exactly caused the frying? those things ain't cheap, does it still work or no? lookin' good so far. hard to tell how the cab looks on whole since these are all close ups but it seems to be pretty clean. are your refurbing the control panel or are you gonna add more controls to it? have you decided if it is going to be an all out mame cab or to keep it satan's hollow? it would be nice if it could be both but you need some more controls on there to do that, maybe make it two player.

dang, what exactly caused the frying? those things ain't cheap, does it still work or no? lookin' good so far. hard to tell how the cab looks on whole since these are all close ups but it seems to be pretty clean. are your refurbing the control panel or are you gonna add more controls to it? have you decided if it is going to be an all out mame cab or to keep it satan's hollow? it would be nice if it could be both but you need some more controls on there to do that, maybe make it two player.

That's a brand new control panel and overlay from Mike's Arcade. I'm converting the Satan's Hollow cabinet to make it look like a Galaga Arcade cabinet.

As far as the disk goes, it cost $36 but I'm going with another vendor which costs about $75. The motherboard is no financial loss since I got it free from work.

I do have the original Satan's Hollow control panel which I am going to put on display in the man cave.

That's a brand new control panel and overlay from Mike's Arcade. I'm converting the Satan's Hollow cabinet to make it look like a Galaga Arcade cabinet.

As far as the disk goes, it cost $36 but I'm going with another vendor which costs about $75. The motherboard is no financial loss since I got it free from work.

I do have the original Satan's Hollow control panel which I am going to put on display in the man cave.

sounds like and excellent plan... take photos to share as you do it :)

CN brings up a good point... I'm building a Centipede style cabinet for my project. I found an actual Centipede cabinet on Craigslist yesterday, in excellent condition, for $350. I have $300 just into the computer to run my cabinet. If I just wanted to play Centipede, that would save a lot of time, money, and effort.

The computer is not an issue for me because I get retired machines that are earmarked for disposal at no cost. I have a machine in my basement running Dr. DOS - it's probably around 500 MHz or so.

remember dosbox 0.72 is a nother choice for dos witch works great for nesticle o43 complete w all sounds it buzzes a little but but it still works good.

to note you can gut a computer trackball into a arcade trackball by doing this

on trying to make a birdie king II board work w joystick inputs i got from mikes arcade as joystick inputs I found out they are actually trackball inputs not joystick inputs !! anyway scratch the up and down portains of the opto isolator wheel inputs from both sides up down left and right then the other single infra red led is the transmitter so its 5v+ on both wheels inputs then the output leds are up down left right I think if you scratch the +5v in to the wheel optoiso you can figure out witch ones to leave then the output ones are simple they are the ones not gnded to the chips on the mouse or trackball you can scratch the pcb traces then solder youre own wires so you would have

1 5v+

2 up

3 down

4 left

5 right

6 pcb board ground or gnd..

i actually used a small usb trackball thumbwheel trackball mouse for my arcade cabinet and modifyed it to have the actuall arcade output instead of usb witch will never work again this is in p2's joystick hole and fits perfectly i mounted it w tie wraps and it seems to stay good. then the left joystick i replaced w new ms pacman joysick i got off ebay then i hooked up birdie king II 1st then mr do so if i change games i have to unplug jamma connectors witch i made from old broke arcade boards and made my own jamma finger boards witch work then i used original monitor plugs for bking II then used extra screen chasses video connectors for mr do so i can just unhook screen from each board not having to use the jamma connection for both games one game mr do uses almost the whole jamma connection the birdie king uses external amp cause i blew up 12v input and dont like using 12v on board in the 1st place luckally the mr do board uses its own amp but i can change from mr do and bking w jamma connector I guess i should change out so its totally jamma then i could leave the r g b sync and gnd hooked up for both games and just change jamma connector but im lazy .. I did however found a guy nammed chris on ebay in maplewood MN who can repair youre arcade monitor to new.

I had changed from bking II to mr do and had power on when flipping YOKE wires on screen cause mr do is upside down compared to bking II and blew motherboard on arcade monitor almost threw it out untill i asked him about a 13 inch screen he had and he said he repairs screens 19 inch k4600 series too mine is a 4600 series its not the exact same number but he had a new chassis motherboard witch looked like it had just been manafactured and cleaned it was tested and new and worked great SO now w the old cabinet being from a WIZ wor with burnin and klax burn in it now plays mr do and birdie king II . I also changed it from horizontal to veritical went to home depot and got some brackets and some screws and carrage bolt and nuts and lock washers and viola i changed it from horizontal to vertical I never hooked the degauss coil back up and dont need it anyway I can use my solder gun and wave it by to do that..

ALSO I also got a Data east cabinet off ebay had to drive from MN to boarder of Kansas iowa to pick it up got two for $70 it was worth it now i got screen 13 inch off ebay new from slot machine has 2 pits in glass but when inside cabinet you cant see and they dont look like scratches and you cant even see them then i finnally got the pacman pcb to fit into the cabinet this was a royal pain in the butt but i finnally got it to work had to remove a socket on board to make it fit

SO if i change roms in pacman i can get Miss packman PLUS © 1982/1983 Midway namco not for hire

ms pacman normal dut board and regular pacman the blunt fruit roms are in roms 5e and 5f the maze and ms pacman are in daughter board... I wish i could combine all roms to make 4 in one board w misspackman + ..

SO i have 3 arcade cabinets the 1st one being Space invaders PArt II deluxe Midway in cabinet shown in my avatar a data east cabinet runnning pacman and a wiz wor stand up w rare Mrdo marquee yellow.. GOOD LUCK if you need any tips or mame32 version 067 or old mame32 for asteroids or any of my mame versions that let you skip disclaimers let me know..

oh i almost forgot I have a old IPAc controler chip for mame its ps2 but still probably works if you want it i could part w it for cheap if you plan to make mame cabinet it has 13 inputs its made from ultimarc also if you make mame cabinet i still have some unbutcherd usb thumb mouse trackballs witch you could use as usb trackballs.

I hope you post some pictures and youre project comes out great... REMEMBER IF YOU HAVE EXTRA $$$ wells Gardner had some upto 800x600 arcade monitors that still do cga too so you could have mame cabinet and arcade galaga pcb and use jamma to connect computer to controls ..

Pain in the butt!

I told the vendor that I need a monitor for a Galaga cabinet, vertical, 19" and he ships out one that would mount on a shelf like a TV set.

Title of the email thread "Monitor for Galaga Cabinet." I sent about 10 emails to make sure that I was getting the right part.

He said he didn't have any PDFs to send me with the dimensions or diagrams. I took his word that he would send me the right part given that he has a link on his site for detailed Galaga Information!

I guess that's the growing pains associated with these projects...

Pain in the butt!

I told the vendor that I need a monitor for a Galaga cabinet, vertical, 19" and he ships out one that would mount on a shelf like a TV set.

Title of the email thread "Monitor for Galaga Cabinet." I sent about 10 emails to make sure that I was getting the right part.

He said he didn't have any PDFs to send me with the dimensions or diagrams. I took his word that he would send me the right part given that he has a link on his site for detailed Galaga Information!

I guess that's the growing pains associated with these projects...

ouch! jeez, is he gonna refund your money including return shipping? maybe you can resell it?

ouch! jeez, is he gonna refund your money including return shipping? maybe you can resell it?

I can't do anything with this monitor so he's going to have to refund my money include the return shipping.

I can't understand - keywords "Galaga cabinet" & "19-inch" & "vertical" and I'm shipped a monitor that would be appropriate for an Asteroids cabinet and from a guy that has a page dedicated to Galaga technical info? And I apologized beforehand for asking him too many questions just to make sure that I would not be shipped the wrong part?

I wanted to get this knocked out today so this thing could be up and running this week - guess that's not going to happen.

Someone else chime in with a similar experience since misery likes company! : ]

hello I would if you still have the tube message chris25810 on ebay ask a question about a nother type chassis than the one you want so you are not

interfering w current ebay acution example he was selling a 13 inch monitor so i asked about a k4600 series monitor chassis on the 13 inch auction in general question about monitor!!! and I found out he was only 20 miles away I drove over w cabnet since wiz wor has wheels and he said ok youre 3 boards from ebay were worth less than you paid junk but he said since i could use parts and flybacks were probably good exept the one i had had finnaly cracked must have been the day it started to rain at state fair when was in outside tent in midway!!! I remember that I played silverball mania pinball...

anyway he said i usually get like $75 for that board I said i only have like $$ and need $ for gas he said ok if thats all you have in pocket was like more than ½off that was only cause i let him test my screen in his frogger bench tester!!! it was so cool to see frogger on my wiz wor screen I already changed it from horizontal to vertical just using brakets from home depot real easy if you have a helper to hold tube whilst you install brackets just long metal pieces w holes drilled in them to extend horizontal mount longer to hold tube verticly deguass coil not hooke and dont plan to gnd ok but still using the smaller MIDWAY transformer as existing isolation transformer!!!!!!!!!!! important to use line filter/isolation transformer on screen to seperate it from game pcb supply and game pcb via sync red blue green gnd .

I had a k4616 series monitor and he said same thing chris has other types of montors too probably could get youre screen you used to have if you still have old tube if neck pins yoke and screen is not cracked and you know soldering and can remember witch wire goes where you could swap chassis pcb and get old one back on! then you would need vga to cga arcade or arcade to vga or jamma tv then use scan converter like tvview.. there are a lot of options you should think about what you want ..

? are you making a Galaga cabinet using side art stickers and control panel? and real arcade pcb.

remember using a computer power supply just solder the ps on green wire from the atx connector and then u have crowbar saftey short circut power on reset type protection Normal arcade power supplys just short out FIRE HAZARD computer power supplys DONT HAVE THAT PROBLEM at least the new p4/athalon dual core type ones you dont probably need more than a old compaq power supply those do the power crow bar thing and squeal when you short them out plus you could use both arcade pcb and computer and just swap plug and use computer printer parralell switch and just snip off old printer cord and wire to screen then chop two more and hook one to computer and the other to galaga pcb then find a computer to cga converter pcb and u could use arcade monitor but jamma tv would allow you to use a tvview non pci external scan converter and you could just use tv w composite in and rf mod or just use a video input on newer tv you would then need cga to composite for the real galaga pcb!.. I have a tvview they are great ! on a 20 inch memmorex regular tv using my vcr since it only does ch3 or zenith cable box rf mod i can read 800x600 i can bareley read 1152x864 but it will do 2048x1536 at 200Hz you cant read it but it looks cool 1400x1050 added into custom mode on nvidia custom mode is cool I usually pick 640x480 or 800x600 when using my tv to surf net .. I had the tvview hooked

http://pcpowerzone.com/tvmipcvico.html

the device find on ebay or amazon cheaper

I had it hooked to my space invaders monitor since i had chopped the video to the screen and added a rca female on screen side and male on pcb out side this way i could watch espn on my arcade cabinet nice grainy basket ball in b/w on my sylvaina super set!!!!!!! ok its a wells gardner but it says sylvaina on screen!!! .. i can do 800x600 and still read it i have to choose high contrast mode cause colors wont raster on b/w it just makes differnt patterns looks cool then i ripped it back out and repaired space invaders pcb took out computer amd k62 and replaced arcade 11-5-79 midway space invaders board w a deluxe space invaders board and deluxe cocktail II sound board and after $300 boards later off ebay to figure out all 8 lm3900's need chaned it now after new 330pF and 470pF not uF changed out now flyby ship hit noise works and i am using some huge cement/ceramic little devils resistors wirewound resitors to get 7.5v from 12v dc and sound amp never gets hot I also figured out most arcade sound amps come on w 5v and if you need 7.5v radio shack sells car lighter socket to 7.5v adaptors witch is safer than using 12v cause it wont over heat.. I know for a fact the hitachi chips in pacman need pure DC not centertaped ripple dc .. so if i was u i would think about weather u want mame cabinet or dedicated galaga but think about using vga to cga or v and cga to composite and tvview or computer monitor and cga to vga board... and use printer switch to swap arcade pcb and computer then use only one computer power supply plug and two computer supplys the green atx ps on wire to gnd then unsolder all but 12v 5v unles you need arcade space invaders or golden t4 you wont need -5v or 3.3v orange ones or white one. arcade supplys wont crowbar and will keep running and blow youre chips a computer power supply usually just shorts out and crow bars sqeeks and will reset if unpluged for 1 minnute.. an arcade one you cant turn it off or on its always putting out 12v it wont sence a short like computer power supply and we all know tolerances for computer power supplys dont need adjusting for 5v!!!!! GOOD LUCK

? are you making a Galaga cabinet using side art stickers and control panel? and real arcade pcb.

I have the control panel and marquee and will be buying a Galaga bezel as well. I have not decided on purchasing the side art as yet.

The game will be powered by MAME32 and I have WinXP pretty well hidden.

I had planned on mounting the motherboard and power supply to the cabinet but honestly there is no advantage to going through the trouble of trying to figure out how to wire up a remote on/off switch to the motherboard in order to gain a few feet on the cabinet.

I can't do anything with this monitor so he's going to have to refund my money include the return shipping.

I can't understand - keywords "Galaga cabinet" & "19-inch" & "vertical" and I'm shipped a monitor that would be appropriate for an Asteroids cabinet and from a guy that has a page dedicated to Galaga technical info? And I apologized beforehand for asking him too many questions just to make sure that I would not be shipped the wrong part?

I wanted to get this knocked out today so this thing could be up and running this week - guess that's not going to happen.

Someone else chime in with a similar experience since misery likes company! : ]

Well the vendor, Arcadeshop.com, won't pay for return shipping. Apparently it's my fault in his mind and I'm technically challenged. I don't see it possible mounting this vertically without a special mounting kit which I was left out of the loop on.

Take it for what its worth - maybe you view this as ignorance on my part for using blind faith in purchasing what was said to be the part that I need.

For the extra money, I could have purchased from Happ Controls who have detailed documentation onsite for the respective product.

It's too bad that Mikesarcade doesn't sell monitors because I have gotten excellent customer service from them throughout this project.

• 2 weeks later...