IGNORED

Temple of Apshai Trilogy

Gunstar

I've been playing this game with nostalgia and fond memories and creating some new fond memories this weekend. I like the improved graphics of the trilogy, but my first experiences with it were on the original tape version. I did buy the trilogy when it came out in '85, so this isn't new to me, and I always loved the fact that you could save your character in the trilogy, which wasn't possible with the original tape (how about the original disk?). Anyhow, are there any other fans of this classic series here? Do you prefer the original or the remake? What system was your first experience with it; Atari, or another?

I introduced my 12 year old nephew to this game yesterday, and he's in love with it himself (he's a big Poke'mon/Zelda adventure fan, but likes this more now-at least he says...).

I had the original cassette but sold it in an auction. Loading took too long for me & I tried to transfer the BASIC parts to disk but I don't recall if it worked. I remember referring to the room/locale descriptions in the manual which helped me make my own adventure games. I also enjoyed "Gateway to Apshai" & considered it my first true RPG-type game for my 800XL as it was disk-based & had HUGE maps (8 levels w/ 16 dungeons/level!) I asked for hints from EPYX as I couldn't figure out what some of the items/spells did & they mailed back a flimsy, vague pamphlet which didn't help very much...

I first played the game on my Apple II compatable Franklin Ace 1000 back in the early 1980s. This wasn't the trilogy. It was just Temple of Apshai. I loved the game. I still have the original manual. I have Temple of Ashai Trilogy for both my Atari800win emulator and for PC DOS. I have an Apple II emulator but I can't find the original Temple of Apshai disk image ANYWHERE. I want to find it.

Baldur's Gate: Dark Alliance for PS2 is as close to a modern remake of Apshai as I've found.

I used to love "Temple of Asphai" when I picked it up on disk AGES ago...

However, I somehow ruined the disk and it doesn't work anymore... grrr! I suspect I was trying to make a copy of it and probably tried to write to that disk by mistake (ah... the memories of using one disk drive and all the constant swapping)

Cheers!

Joey

However, I somehow ruined the disk and it doesn't work anymore... grrr!

Same thing happened to me... I think the disk didn't have write protect label on and I saved a character or something like that. With the copy protection the disk had you couldn't recover from this either. I ended up giving it to a C64 owning friend as the flipside had their version :|

The Trilogy was great, I've never played the originals... I remember seeing the tapes but I only had a 16K 600XL at that time.

Mark

I bought the original Aphsai and Curse of RA on disk and had fun with them until I saw the C64 versions - The 'Trilogy' version is 10 times better IMHO - faster and looks better - makes you not imbarresed to show your C64 friends :)

The original brings back some good early 800 works memories when graphics and speed didnt matter :)

I bought the original Aphsai and Curse of RA on disk and had fun with them until I saw the C64 versions - The 'Trilogy' version is 10 times better IMHO - faster and looks better - makes you not imbarresed to show your C64 friends :)

The original brings back some good early 800 works memories when graphics and speed didnt matter :)

Yes, for the most part the Trilogy is far superior graphically, but, I do remember being disappointed in a few of the monsters like the Antmen in the Trilogy; in the original they were animated as well as some other monsters and in the trilogy the monsters are all static. :sad: