IGNORED

HSC Season 6 Week 32: Go Fish!

Ze_ro

Important Note: This weeks competition is over and no further scores will be accepted.

Pops had said as he sent me outside today. "Eat or be eaten, Junior. Remember; that's the law of the sea."

I struggled to remember all the other advice I had been given in preparation for this day, my first out alone in the sea. The only thing that came to mind was, "Beware the shark!" I shivered in the early morning chill. I hoped not to see any sharks- and then all such thoughts were driven from my head by the sight of a tasty little fish swimming by, blissfully ignorant of me and my suddenly complaining stomach.

"That looks like breakfast," I thought as I began to glide towards the still-unaware fish. I came right behind him and gulped him down in one bite. Mmmmm! That was pretty good!

"This is the life," I murmured happily as I spied a few more swimming treats across the water. As I moved in their direction, however, a few larger fish languidly moved in the view. As I eyed them warily, I couldn't help but notice that they were looking at me with the same hungry expression that had been on my face just moments before...

s_GoFish_SP_5.png

Game Information
  • Game Name: Go Fish!
  • Released By: Bob Montgomery, 2005
  • Left Difficulty: Your Choice (A to start as a larger fish)
  • Right Difficulty: N / A
  • Game Mode: Default
  • Chosen By: toymailman

Post your scores right here in this thread, and I will add them to the list. Remember to play the game with the recommended game mode and difficulty settings as shown above so that your scores will be consistent with everyone elses. The deadline for posting scores is Wednesday April 15th at 1:00 AM (CST).

Current High Scores
  1. 9999 (Deteacher) [+11]
    9999 (toymailman) [+11]
  2. 4371 (Impaler_26) [+10]
  3. 3907 (darthkur) [+9]
  4. 3209 (SeaGtGruff) [+8]
  5. 3120 (Kurt_Woloch) [+7]
  6. 1834 (SpiceWare) [+6]
  7. 1831 (aftermac) [+5]
  8. 1668 (mcge0053) [+4]
  9. 1461 (Wickeycolumbus) [+3]
  10. 1443 (vdub_bobby) [+2]
  11. 1393 (theKLT) [+1]

Best Tips
  • Kurt_Woloch [+2]

Challenges
  • None yet

TwinGalaxies Top 3
  1. Not in TG database.
(Game 1, Difficulty B)
Current Standings

1. 8
  2. toymailman [305]
  3. Deteacher [279]
  4. aftermac [223]
  5. darthkur [221]
  6. Kurt_Woloch [145]
  7. Impaler_26 [133]
  8. DarthCalvin [117]
  9. jjd [87]
  10. Mister VCS [79]
  11. LarcenTyler [64]
  12. shadow460 [56]
  13. Hornpipe2 [55]
  14. SpiceWare [52]
  15. the 5th ghost [47]
  16. Nathan Strum [46]
  17. mcge0053 [28]
  18. doctorclu [26]
  19. Jess Ragan [26]
  20. homerwannabee [22]
  21. Zoyx [22]
  22. Jred [20]
  23. theKLT [20]
  24. Spector [20]
  25. SeaGtGruff [20]
  26. Omegamatrix [19]
  27. ClassicGMR [18]
  28. IHATETHEBEARS [16]
  29. MrBeefy [14]
  30. iangamer [14]
  31. Shannon [13]
  32. LoneWolfSeth [12]
  33. roadrunner [11]
  34. midnight magicman [11]
  35. ed1475 [10]
  36. Random Terrain [10]
  37. maf [9]
  38. TimsterAA [9]
  39. vdub_bobby [9]
  40. DtY [8]
  41. godzillajoe [8]
  42. missioncontrol [8]
  43. chuckwalla [7]
  44. LS_Dracon [7]
  45. LaserHawk3000 [7]
  46. BSA Starfire's girlfriend [7]
  47. RJ [6]
  48. lucifershalo [5]
  49. phaxda [5]
  50. Vectorman0 [4]
  51. vintagegamecrazy [4]
  52. joeypsp [2]
  53. rheffera [2]
  54. ratfink [2]
  55. Lendorien [1]
  56. Yar76 [1]
  57. Artlover [1]
  58. holgibo [1]

Scoring Points in Go Fish!
  • Larger fish are worth more points
  • At certain point levels, your fish gets larger and can eat larger fish
  • For a more precise list of point values, see this post from toymailman

Hints and Tips
  • If you need a breather, you can hide safely in the reeds growing in the ocean floor.
  • Beware the left and right sides of the ocean - enemy fishes (and worse!) can appear without warning from the murky depths.
  • Know thy enemy. Learn the behaviour and appearance of the other creatures inhabiting the sea. Some of them might behave differently at different times during your game!
  • If you are playing two-player Go Fish! with growing enabled, try to grow as fast as possible, even at the cost of being eaten a few times - the advantage of a larger size than your opponent will be hard for him to overcome.
  • Bouncing your opponent into the waiting jaws of a larger fish, in two-player Go Fish!, is an especially satisfying path to victory.
  • Your fish will increase in size, through the first five sizes, when he has earned 5, 19, 55, and 132 points in the one-player game on the NOVICE setting. Beyond that...?
The Manual
As always, you really should read the manual. In case you don't have the manual, I've scanned it and posted it in this post. Here are the hints it provides:
Deteacher
If you need to take a break, hide down in the seaweed. The other fish don't swim that low.
Kurt_Woloch
On the lower levels where everything is still slow, you can swim easily about. However, you should prioritize eating the biggest possible fishes (that is, fishes that are not bigger than you). Sometimes it can be tough waiting for the next edible fish to come when all that comes out is fish bigger than you and other unedible stuff.
As the fishes get bigger and faster, it's best to stay down in the seaweed and only dive up when there's some fish to eat. The fishes will get so fast that you won't be able to get most of those being in the upper rows anyway. In the row directly above the seaweed, if there's nothing swimming in that row, the next fish won't come out before you dive up there. So be careful if you're down in the seaweed and see something edible swimming above you... you just might get caught by another, fast fish or shark coming out below it. However, if there's already something in the row above the seaweed, nothing else will be able to appear in its place, so you can take advantage of a slow-moving fish swimming there by crossing that row behind it in order to eat a fish in the row above. However, as you do this, you should always be prepared for another fish coming out in the row you just cleared that's bigger and faster than you. For that reason, try to stay in the middle of the screen in the later levels, and don't go too far left or right because otherwise you may easily be gobbled up by a fish coming out there.

--Zero

OK, big improvement here... 3120.

post-8393-1239385003_thumb.png

Here are some tips:

On the lower levels where everything is still slow, you can swim easily about. However, you should prioritize eating the biggest possible fishes (that is, fishes that are not bigger than you). Sometimes it can be tough waiting for the next edible fish to come when all that comes out is fish bigger than you and other unedible stuff.

As the fishes get bigger and faster, it's best to stay down in the seaweed and only dive up when there's some fish to eat. The fishes will get so fast that you won't be able to get most of those being in the upper rows anyway. In the row directly above the seaweed, if there's nothing swimming in that row, the next fish won't come out before you dive up there. So be careful if you're down in the seaweed and see something edible swimming above you... you just might get caught by another, fast fish or shark coming out below it. However, if there's already something in the row above the seaweed, nothing else will be able to appear in its place, so you can take advantage of a slow-moving fish swimming there by crossing that row behind it in order to eat a fish in the row above. However, as you do this, you should always be prepared for another fish coming out in the row you just cleared that's bigger and faster than you. For that reason, try to stay in the middle of the screen in the later levels, and don't go too far left or right because otherwise you may easily be gobbled up by a fish coming out there.

Oh, and I still didn't reach the maximum possible fish size yet.. I think I made it up to a 24-pixel (6 pixel, quadruple with) fish, but then I got caught by a shark.

Indeed this is a fun game. My wife will play it a bit too. Does the AtariVox work with the Krok cart? I always just use real hardware and real carts so don't know.

My score so far is 2,053

post-10944-1239415990_thumb.jpg

No, the AtariVox doesn't seem to work with the Kroko Cart. The scores always reset when I power the game back on.

No, the AtariVox doesn't seem to work with the Kroko Cart. The scores always reset when I power the game back on.

Interesting. Is there anybody who can confirm that the Krokodile Cartridge does not work together with AtariVox ? How could the AtariVox know that the BIN is read out of a Krokodile ?

Interesting. Is there anybody who can confirm that the Krokodile Cartridge does not work together with AtariVox ? How could the AtariVox know that the BIN is read out of a Krokodile ?

My bad...I misunderstood. After reading what Kroko wrote I realized my error. I don't have an AtariVox. Honestly, I don't know what I was thinking. Sorry.