Photo

"Save Game Option" for Midnight Mutants?

32 replies to this topic

#26 ttom OFFLINE  

ttom

Space Invader

• Topic Starter
  • 44 posts

Posted Sun Apr 26, 2009 9:47 AM

The Harmony cart will be able to do save states with some existing or future games. I got a proof of concept of this working recently, and tried it in Solaris and a few other games.

However, note that the Harmony is a 2600 cart. You aren't going to be playing 7800 Midnight Mutants on it with or without save states.

Hi batari,

That's cool, It's good to know that this is possible. Please keep me posted on this when it is ready to sell.

#27 Mitch OFFLINE  

Mitch

Quadrunner

• 6,579 posts
  • 7800 Guy

Posted Sun Apr 26, 2009 5:31 PM

Well, since most 7800 games support the pause function I'm guessing you could take advantage of that. The theoretical device could pause the game and dump the needed contents, when you restore the saved game it would drop all of the data back in and unpause the game. The game would just think it was paused. Obviously this wouldn't work for 2600 games.

A somewhat easier device to design would probably be a game genii clone.

Mitch

#28 ttom OFFLINE  

ttom

Space Invader

• Topic Starter
  • 44 posts

Posted Wed Apr 29, 2009 7:34 AM

Since everyone seems to agree that this save device should be on a separate cartridge, what about the cover art. If this cartridge can take advantage of the pause button, it may beable to save other 7800 games as well. So Im thinking that the cover art should not be specific to just Midnight Mutants.

#29 ttom OFFLINE  

ttom

Space Invader

• Topic Starter
  • 44 posts

Posted Wed Jul 1, 2009 9:04 AM

Could anyone recommend a qualified person to take on this project? Hopefully, this is possible.

#30 GroovyBee OFFLINE  

GroovyBee

Games Developer

• 9,821 posts
  • Busy bee!

Posted Wed Jul 1, 2009 9:07 AM

Could anyone recommend a qualified person to take on this project? Hopefully, this is possible.

Obligatory programmer's reply :-
http://www.atariage....s...t&p=1006689

#31 ttom OFFLINE  

ttom

Space Invader

• Topic Starter
  • 44 posts

Posted Mon Jul 6, 2009 8:02 AM

I'm currently working on this project with a local friend. Atariage blogs are a good place to start because I need to know if there is enough worthwhile interest. If I can generate enough to share with the Atari community, I will keep you all posted.

Thanks! :)

#32 jrok OFFLINE  

jrok

Stargunner

• 1,155 posts

Posted Mon Jul 6, 2009 1:39 PM

I'm currently working on this project with a local friend. Atariage blogs are a good place to start because I need to know if there is enough worthwhile interest. If I can generate enough to share with the Atari community, I will keep you all posted.

Thanks! :)

Sounds like Hard Work. You might have to pull an all-knighter! :)

#33 Lynxpro OFFLINE  

Lynxpro

River Patroller

• 3,666 posts

Posted Sun Dec 22, 2013 8:41 PM

Sounds like Hard Work. You might have to pull an all-knighter! icon_smile.gif

It's apparently a 5 year project.  :) 

Why stop at this? What about a "Game Shark/Genie" type device?

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users