• It's easy living in a bubble

Posted Tue Nov 30, 2010 3:08 PM

send a PM to candle and hope that he has some left

#1102 olavese@online.no OFFLINE  

olavese@online.no

Moonsweeper

• 469 posts

Posted Thu Dec 2, 2010 4:26 AM

I wonder if there is need for another production run of VBXE graphics adapter for 8 bit atari
Although names says XE it can be used in any atari having ANTIC/GTIA and FREDDY chips on board
for FREDDY-less machines clock divider must me used

VBXE 2 is compatible with previously released v1.2 and only few thing were changed

- ANTIC chip is located on board in DIP2IDC connector adapter, so vbxe can be removed in any point of time - no soldering required

- VBXE Core boot time (time to load soft-core into the FPGA chip, and enable RGB output after power-on) decreased from 6.5 sec to 0.9 sec

- board dimensions decreased from 72x60mm to 66x44mm

- 14mhz generator circuit was included on board, so there is no additional clock generator module placed near FREDDY chip

FX core programmers manual (translated by Drac030 from Polish)

VBXE 2 board composite printout for reference

VBXE 1.2 (under printout) compared to VBXE 2.0:
Posted Image

prototype should be ready till 25 of april, and production run should start by the end of april
cost of ready board is not know yet, but should be under $100 (this is rought estimate, more exact price should be know till 25 of april)

This is something I'd love to have ... Put me up for one

#1103 venom4728a OFFLINE  

venom4728a

Moonsweeper

• 464 posts

Posted Wed Feb 2, 2011 7:18 PM

i have this board - it works with NTSC machines, but doesn't work at all with PAL ones
so if your target is NTSC machine, then go for it
model name is gonbes gbs-8020

Does anyone know where the gonbes gbs-8020 can be purchased, I have googled it and found similar boards like the 8208, but not the 8020, But the models i found said they accepted RGBHV input at 30-32.5khz not the 15khz that comes out of VBXE?

Anyone have a link to the 8020?

best regards?

#1104 venom4728a OFFLINE  

venom4728a

Moonsweeper

• 464 posts

Posted Wed Feb 2, 2011 7:32 PM

i have this board - it works with NTSC machines, but doesn't work at all with PAL ones
so if your target is NTSC machine, then go for it
model name is gonbes gbs-8020

Does anyone know where the gonbes gbs-8020 can be purchased, I have googled it and found similar boards like the 8208, but not the 8020, But the models i found said they accepted RGBHV input at 30-32.5khz not the 15khz that comes out of VBXE?

Anyone have a link to the 8020?

best regards?

Anyone have any experience with using one of these:

eBay Auction -- Item Number: 350244621369

It says it converts RGB 15k 50/60hz to VGA.

little expensive, I have a model similar to this that converts S-video/composite to VGA, and it works ok with a few different thing s i connected to it. But the my 800xl the video was kinda grainy.

Venom4728a

#1105 Stephen OFFLINE  

Stephen

River Patroller

• 4,587 posts
  • A8 Gear Head

Posted Wed Feb 2, 2011 7:51 PM

Anyone have any experience with using one of these:

eBay Auction -- Item Number: 350244621369

It says it converts RGB 15k 50/60hz to VGA.

little expensive, I have a model similar to this that converts S-video/composite to VGA, and it works ok with a few different thing s i connected to it. But the my 800xl the video was kinda grainy.

Venom4728a

I cannot speak for that specific model. I have the model that converts composite / s-video. It does not like the Atari's non-standard signal. Like my other VGA converter, it drops every other frame by one scanline. Because of this, programs like Flicker-Term do not display properly. It also exhibits bad "combing" on fast moving objects.

Maybe it will do better with the VBXE output?

#1106 candle OFFLINE  

candle

River Patroller

• Topic Starter
  • 2,759 posts

Posted Thu Feb 3, 2011 3:34 AM

this one i was reffering to

eBay Auction -- Item Number: 120660289356

#1107 peteym5 OFFLINE  

peteym5

Dragonstomper

• 865 posts

Posted Fri Feb 4, 2011 2:31 PM

Well I tried 3 different 130XE motherboards and ripped the traces out each time I tried pulling a chip out. I melted and sucked the solder out as best I can. I wonder if there is another tool that we should be using along with an soldering iron and solder sucker? I got another 130XE mainboard from best electronics and I am not going to mess with it. Some suggest I try my 800xl with 256k, but I am not about to risk destroying that mb.

the only other solution is find an expert who can safely remove chips from mainboards and install sockets.

#1108 flashjazzcat OFFLINE  

flashjazzcat

Quadrunner

• 8,136 posts

Posted Fri Feb 4, 2011 2:50 PM

Well I tried 3 different 130XE motherboards and ripped the traces out each time I tried pulling a chip out. I melted and sucked the solder out as best I can.

Ouch.

I wonder if there is another tool that we should be using along with an soldering iron and solder sucker?

There is. It's an expert who can safely remove chips from mainboards and install sockets.

Edited by flashjazzcat, Fri Feb 4, 2011 2:51 PM.

#1109 peteym5 OFFLINE  

peteym5

Dragonstomper

• 865 posts

Posted Fri Feb 4, 2011 8:17 PM

I hope I can find one in the Eastern United States soon. I remember a suggestion about clipping the excess length of the IC pins extending from the bottom of the main board. Something about shortening them will make them easier to get out. Not sure if that really works. I have extra ICs in case they won't plug into the socket.

#1110 puppetmark OFFLINE  

puppetmark

Dragonstomper

• 695 posts

Posted Fri Feb 4, 2011 10:59 PM

I hope I can find one in the Eastern United States soon. I remember a suggestion about clipping the excess length of the IC pins extending from the bottom of the main board. Something about shortening them will make them easier to get out. Not sure if that really works. I have extra ICs in case they won't plug into the socket.

I can do it for you if you want. Been working with Atari hardware for 20+ years. PM me if interested. I am in eastern PA. BTW, the XL motherboards can take much more abuse than the XE boards. Many find them much easier to mod.

Edited by puppetmark, Fri Feb 4, 2011 11:00 PM.

#1111 Rybags ONLINE  

Rybags

Quadrunner

• 12,535 posts

Posted Sat Feb 5, 2011 12:07 AM

Hey Pete! Long time, no see.

Put it this way - each machine you kill is probably costing near twice the price of sending it to the West Coast and back, plus delaying your install by weeks at a time.

As for trimming IC legs... you need some short part of the leg left to fit in the precision socket, so I don't see much sense in doing that. Besides that, it can distort the shape of what's left over making it harder to get out, and harder to fit nicely in the new socket.
I just used the method candle described to remove a dozen or so Pokeys from 7800 carts, only broke a pin on one. Didn't need to mess with the legs on any of them - the key to the whole operation is using the right tools (adjustable temp iron, proper cylinder type solder sucker) and and having the work held steady so you have both hands free.

I'd just be done with it - send it to someone who can do it with minimal risk.

#1112 Shawn Jefferson OFFLINE  

Shawn Jefferson

Stargunner

• 1,707 posts

Posted Sat Feb 5, 2011 6:15 PM

Man, the XE boards must really really suck. I've desoldered quite a few 40 pin chips from 800XLs and never had any trouble, and I'm certainly no expert and don't have professional grade tools.

Edited by Shawn Jefferson, Sat Feb 5, 2011 6:16 PM.

#1113 Havok69 OFFLINE  

Havok69

Dragonstomper

• 903 posts

Posted Sat Feb 5, 2011 6:39 PM

You should check this out if you're serious about modding:

http://www.ciebookst...e-with-lab.aspx

Also - I hate those solder suckers, I prefer desoldering braid which you can pick up locally at Radio Shack.

#1114 sloopy ONLINE  

sloopy

River Patroller

• 2,395 posts
  • lookin for bits, i like bits...

Posted Sat Feb 5, 2011 10:47 PM

solder sucker? solder braid?

try a Hakko , Weller or a, Aoyue...

sloopy.

#1115 JokerCPoC OFFLINE  

JokerCPoC

Chopper Commander

• 101 posts

Posted Mon Mar 28, 2011 4:12 AM

Man, the XE boards must really really suck. I've desoldered quite a few 40 pin chips from 800XLs and never had any trouble, and I'm certainly no expert and don't have professional grade tools.

What did You expect?

XL=Warner
XE=Tramiel

Some things both screwed up on differently, Like the 1200XL for

Warner: the Monitor port not being correct and no +5v sio enabled.
Tramiel: tried to do stuff as cheap as possible(trace problems) and made marketing mistakes or had no marketing at all and wanted to depend on word of mouth.

@ Candle: Am I too late for the VBXE2? I'm not ready yet, July is earliest I can do for the 1200xl.

#1116 flashjazzcat OFFLINE  

flashjazzcat

Quadrunner

• 8,136 posts

Posted Mon Mar 28, 2011 5:34 AM

Oddly, I've found the opposite to be true: plate-throughs on the XLs delaminating easily, traces very fragile, while I've socketed virtually all the ICs on my 130XE without incident. It must be something to do with my "approach" (see 600XL topic). :D

#1117 candle OFFLINE  

candle

River Patroller

• Topic Starter
  • 2,759 posts

Posted Mon Mar 28, 2011 5:38 AM

JokerCPoC: possibly not, depends on local customs office :/

#1118 JokerCPoC OFFLINE  

JokerCPoC

Chopper Commander

• 101 posts

Posted Mon Mar 28, 2011 10:01 AM

Oddly, I've found the opposite to be true: plate-throughs on the XLs delaminating easily, traces very fragile, while I've socketed virtually all the ICs on my 130XE without incident. It must be something to do with my "approach" (see 600XL topic). :D

Ok, But the Tramiels were cheap and really only wanted Atari so they could get back at Commodore.

#1119 JokerCPoC OFFLINE  

JokerCPoC

Chopper Commander

• 101 posts

Posted Mon Mar 28, 2011 10:08 AM

JokerCPoC: possibly not, depends on local customs office :/

Ok, I'm in the USA of course, I forget, But how much is the VBXE 2 with shipping? As I can then plan ahead some. Oh and I have a 1200XL, Didn't You mention a version w/an HDMI output, Is that still just an idea currently?

#1120 sloopy ONLINE  

sloopy

River Patroller

• 2,395 posts
  • lookin for bits, i like bits...

Posted Thu Apr 7, 2011 11:18 AM

i just finished installing a V2 VBXE in an 600XL...

here is the connections.
Atari600XL.jpg

sloopy.

#1121 flashjazzcat OFFLINE  

flashjazzcat

Quadrunner

• 8,136 posts

Posted Thu Apr 7, 2011 11:49 AM

That's a nice job Sloop. I hope you didn't forget the twenty jumper wires underneath the Antic socket. :)

I took a different approach re: clearance. I removed the socketed chips which were in the way and either soldered them directly to the board, or mounted them face-up on the underside (there was only one chip tall enough to warrant the latter treatment, in fact).

#1122 VintagePete OFFLINE  

VintagePete

Combat Commando

• 5 posts

Posted Tue Apr 12, 2011 12:00 AM

I wonder if there is another tool that we should be using along with an soldering iron and solder sucker?

A desoldering gun (with an integrated suction pump) makes all the difference, if you're willing to make a bit of investment. For example, the Hakko 808 works great; it's soldering that's tricky for me sometimes :)

#1123 fibrewire OFFLINE  

fibrewire

Stargunner

• 1,551 posts

Posted Tue Apr 12, 2011 1:50 AM

I like retro stuff, but what is the purpose of the VBXE? To me it looks like a massive video upgrade beyond anything atari produced, maybe even on par with the Amiga or beyond? If anyone has details, please explain :)

#1124 Fox-1 / mnx OFFLINE  

Fox-1 / mnx

Stargunner

• 1,188 posts
  • What is your Alternate Reality?

Posted Tue Apr 12, 2011 2:59 AM

I like retro stuff, but what is the purpose of the VBXE?

I don't think this is a smart question as the VBXE thread is about the most read one on here :-)

#1125 pcefan OFFLINE  

pcefan

Combat Commando

• 4 posts

Posted Tue Apr 10, 2012 1:20 AM

I want to buy a VBXE for my lovely Atari 130XE could you please tell me how you guys got yours?

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users