IGNORED

Season 2 5200 HSC Round 5 *Wizard Of Wor*

darthkur

118124218756.jpg

s_WizardOfWor_3.png

The mystical Kingdom of Wor has been overshadowed by the sinister Wizard and his wicked Worlings. You are in command of an elite squad of Woriors assigned with the daunting task of usurping the Wizard's throne. With powerful laser blasters in hand you must do battle with the fierce Worlings, some of which have the ability to temporarily render themselves invisible. But with your radar scanners you can still track their progress. Beware when you overcome a legion of Worlings for their merciless commander, the Worluk might come after you seeking revenge. He's quick so your shots must be true. If you can defeat the masterful Worluk you might just get a chance to take on the mighty Wizard himself.

Emulators are fine as is whatever controller you feel the most comfortable with. Screenshots are great but not mandatory.

Settings: Single player (yellow worrior on the left) and three lives to start. (default)

Contest ends on: 4-27-09 at 1:00am EST.

Final High Scores:

1st: doctorclu - 177,700 +11

2nd: LaserHawk - 102,400 +10

3rd: Cafeman - 81,600 +9

4th: roadrunner - 61,900 +8

5th: darthkur - 43,700 +7

6th: ckirkman - 37,800 +6

7th: atari_envy - 36,300 +5

8th: NoahsMyBro - 35,700 +4

9th: bohoki - 33,700 +3

10th: DensB68 - 33,100 +2

11th: MIKE5200 - 19,500 +1

12th: RangerG - 19,300 +1

Current Standings:

1st: Cafeman (39)

1st: darthkur (39) (2)

2nd: ckirkman (24)

3rd: bohoki (23) (1)

4th: roadrunner (21)

5th: DensB68 (19)

5th: doctorclu (19) (1)

6th: Scihorror (14)

7th: RangerG (13)

8th: LarcenTyler (12)

9th: Shannon (9)

10th: thursday83 (7)

11th: midnight magicman (6)

11th: MIKE5200 (6)

11th: NoahsMyBro (6)

12th: Mingy Jongo (5)

13th: BydoEmpire (2)

Numbers in RED are accumulated points. Numbers in BLUE are number of rounds won.

Link to the official manual: Wizard of Wor Manual

Edited by darthkur

LaserHawk returns after battling stupid ISPs and the EVIL BLUE SCREEN OF DEATH and now

slays this number many cavern critters..................................

post-20052-1239677523_thumb.jpg

LaserHawk goes back now for more critters in the caves to make more larger numbers!

i suck this much

DCP_7009.jpg

you see i haven't played with my controller in a while thanks to the between button dust

this game is annoying because i have to unplug my joystick and plug it in port 2 because i solder horrible i worry about pulling a wire loose from the naked plug

man i'm a slob

ready to play wheres waldo

find the items

swiss army knife

disk notcher

altoid 5200 controller

miner2049er

300 ohm to 75 ohm convertor

letter telling me i may be a winner

oh and what is wrong with this picture

i suck this much

DCP_7009.jpg

you see i haven't played with my controller in a while thanks to the between button dust

this game is annoying because i have to unplug my joystick and plug it in port 2 because i solder horrible i worry about pulling a wire loose from the naked plug

man i'm a slob

ready to play wheres waldo

find the items

swiss army knife

disk notcher

altoid 5200 controller

miner2049er

300 ohm to 75 ohm convertor

letter telling me i may be a winner

Ok, here's my solution:

post-10357-1239797182_thumb.jpg

Did I get them all? What do I win? :D

Ok, here's my solution:

post-10357-1239797182_thumb.jpg

Did I get them all? What do I win? :D

yep all but one the disk nochter is the blue one on the right of arcade machine

the black thing is a case for a gps

DCP_7010.jpg

yep a dog got ahold of the wizof war cart and chewed it (i guess the shape and color looked like a bone of his

for years i just had the loose board till my star trek broke and i used some standoffs to mount it in its case

another pic of my score

I seem to have a problem getting this to play on both MESS and Kat5200. Anyone have any suggestions?

Try Atari800. I used to play Atari800DC on the Dreamcast... awesome!!

Well my new score, 100,900

Learned that pause did not work well for Wizard of Wor. I'll be back.

Considering my scores, I'm beginning to think I haven't played this since I used to visit a friend decades ago to play it on his Bally Astrocade!

Given my best score so far, I'm far too lazy to take a photo, but you can chalk me up for an astounding 10,700 (!!!) points.

1) the first four levels you can wander about and hunt monsters, after that, good to bunker in as soon as you can.

2) I died the most to those monster appearing practically right next to me when they came in. When you bunker in, watch the radar but just keep firing. (Never know when one will appear and if you are shooting one direction in the bunker, that takes care of 50% of the ways they can get you.

3) Once a monster fires at you, you have two choices, move out of the way of the fire, or kill the monster, which stops a shot in motion. Odd to me, but hey.. anyway, most often monsters will fire, and then vere off, be careful of that.

4) The Worlock is not that big a problem, just approach with guns blazing from a cautious distance.

5) The Wizard of Wor is one that I believe is programmed to appear BEHIND you. When he disappears, throw a shot behind you real quick. Amazing how many times that works.

6) The Pit at level 13 is the screen you save up your lives for. I generally try to work from the bottom corner. Open to suggestions.

post-4709-1240151702_thumb.jpg

Edited by doctorclu

Doctor Clu - Granted, your score is nearly 6x mine, so I'm glad to defer to your advice, but I've been having success when I remember to try and fire shots down 'major thoroughfares', so to speak, while the wizard is on the prowl. Many times he'll appear in or travel through the path of the bullet when I do that.

Does anybody know what triggers the Wizard to appear? Sometimes he does, sometimes he doesn't.

all i know is you probably have to have at least 5k and zap the worlock then the wiz comes

to get the wor lock i kind of goaltend the pacman like tunnel

i hate this game the lions always spawn close to me also why the heck cant you shoot through a disintegrating enemy

i kind of have my own names for them i call the blue ones dogs the yellow ones lions and the red ones just "the red ones"

I have shot the Worluck and the Wizard still didn't appear - sometimes. Do you have to shoot it within a time frame? Or is it random 50-50 chance?

There's might be a time factor involved. The faster you clear the board the more likely the Wiz will consider you a threat and come to annihilate you. :D That's a guess though. If I get the Worluk the first time it comes out then get it on the next board it seems like the Wizard always comes out right then. For then on it seems like a crap shoot.

post-10357-1240266523_thumb.jpg