IGNORED

New Video Adapter for S-Video On Atari ST/TT Systems

<lol> What a salesman, he's just trying to keep me coming back for more! (and I will)... :D

No problem - thanks for such a great game. I think its just awesome that we still see

development for our beloved Atari machines. We surely do appreciate it!

Hmm, 3x2x1...I might be able to work that in. BTW, I don't remember it being mentioned

elsewhere, so if it was, apologies - but is the unit going to require its own separate power

supply? Thanks.

for the 1040's and most other systems above there is No power supply needed for this one. it will be powered directly off the RGB port.

If you have a 520 it will require a power supply though. the 520's do not have a 12volt out on the RGB port.

Edited by kjmann

Hi Sal,

Nice work. Would you mind elaborating a bit more in terms of compatibility:

Does it work ok with overscan?

Does it work on both frequencies (50/60Hz)? I know you said it is NTSC only, but conceivable it might produce an NTSC/50 and/or PAL/60 signal.

Did you consider implementing video-component output? Not only that this has better signal quality, it also solves the problem of PAL/NTSC.

The product would still be useful even if all the answers are no :) Just curious.

Hi Sal,

Nice work. Would you mind elaborating a bit more in terms of compatibility:

Does it work ok with overscan?

So Far we've seen No Problems with over scan

Does it work on both frequencies (50/60Hz)? I know you said it is NTSC only, but conceivable it might produce an NTSC/50 and/or PAL/60 signal.

As of right now the newest version will work with PAL and NTSC

Did you consider implementing video-component output? Not only that this has better signal quality, it also solves the problem of PAL/NTSC.

No. That is a lot more complicated, makes the unit a lot bigger and more expensive. also, when I tested it with component vs. S-Video there was no quality difference.

Hope that helps answer some of your questions. =)

Edited by kjmann

No. That is a lot more complicated, makes the unit a lot bigger and more expensive. also, when I tested it with component vs. S-Video there was no quality difference.

What type of displays are you testing with? On a 480i CRT, I've seen very clean s-video differ not that much from component depending on what is being viewed. But on non CRT HD and/or LCD, Plasma, etc. displays the difference can be dramatic.

What type of displays are you testing with? On a 480i CRT, I've seen very clean s-video differ not that much from component depending on what is being viewed. But on non CRT HD and/or LCD, Plasma, etc. displays the difference can be dramatic.

I've been testing on a 32" Sony LCD Hi def with the gamma correction disabled so that I get a pure picture.

Edited by kjmann

So Far we've seen No Problems with over scan

That's great !

As of right now the newest version will work with PAL and NTSC.

Sorry to insist, but that still doesn't answer the question (or I still have some doubts).

How does it work with PAL/NTSC? Is is automatic, depending on the frequency? Does it have a manual switch? Or there are two versions of the product?

And what would happen if some piece of software switches frequency (between 50/60 Hz)?

also, when I tested it with component vs. S-Video there was no quality difference.

Well, it depends on what exactly you are displaying. As you surely know, the chroma signal on s-video simply doesn't have enough bandwidth for displaying abrupt changes at 320x200, let alone on medium rez. There is no way that an s-video signal could transmit a line with a different chroma value on each pixel.

I agree that this is not very common. And I understand it might not be worth.

Again, I don't want to sound as being critic. (I realize it might sound as such)

How does it work with PAL/NTSC? Is is automatic, depending on the frequency? Does it have a manual switch? Or there are two versions of the product?

Pal And NTSC Switching is done Via a rocker Switch on the unit.

And what would happen if some piece of software switches frequency (between 50/60 Hz)?

it would handle it the same way as a monitor assuming your TV can handle it.

Well, it depends on what exactly you are displaying. As you surely know, the chroma signal on s-video simply doesn't have enough bandwidth for displaying abrupt changes at 320x200, let alone on medium rez. There is no way that an s-video signal could transmit a line with a different chroma value on each pixel.

I agree that this is not very common. And I understand it might not be worth.

Again, I don't want to sound as being critic. (I realize it might sound as such)

No problem. this is just what we have determined. In our opinion the S-video looks no different than the Component prototype that we tried. even in medium Resolution. =)

the component version takes longer to build, is much more complex and would probably cost upwards on 100 dollars or more.

for the 1040's and most other systems above there is No power supply needed for this one. it will be powered directly off the RGB port.

If you have a 520 it will require a power supply though. the 520's do not have a 12volt out on the RGB port.

Okay, no problem for me then - I've got a STacy, so it should be fine.

Just let me touch base here with you, on what I've been contemplating...

Remove the old 9" mono LCD from my STacy, replace it with an LCD, and feed

it the signal from your box.

Can you see any difficulties/problems I might encounter? Thanks.

PS Had originally planned to replace the stock LCD with one with VGA input, and

use the RGB scan convertor I bought, but while good for games, it gives a somewhat

less than desirable picture in ST med resolution.

Okay, no problem for me then - I've got a STacy, so it should be fine.

Just let me touch base here with you, on what I've been contemplating...

Remove the old 9" mono LCD from my STacy, replace it with an LCD, and feed

it the signal from your box.

Can you see any difficulties/problems I might encounter? Thanks.

PS Had originally planned to replace the stock LCD with one with VGA input, and

use the RGB scan convertor I bought, but while good for games, it gives a somewhat

less than desirable picture in ST med resolution.

Well, I don't see any problems as long as it has a standard Atari 13pin RGB port but, I've never seen a STacy before so I don't know how it looks or what obstacles you might encounter physically mounting it inside or anything.

Edited by kjmann

Well, I don't see any problems as long as it has a standard Atari 13pin RGB port but, I've never seen a STacy before so I don't know how it looks or what obstacles you might encounter physically mounting it inside or anything.

Yep, its a standard 13pin DIN connection. I've already tried it hooked up to an SC1224, as well

as using the RGB scan convertor to hook it up to a 15" CRT, a 15" LCD and a 17" LCD, so I think

that's alright. The color picture on the SC1224 was bright and clear. The picture through the RGB

scan convertor was very acceptable in ST Low res, fine for games, and pretty bad in ST Med res.

(blurry, characters dropping out from text, etc).

Oh, the physical part - wasn't too worried about that - I'm actually thinking that will be okay. I was

just making sure about any signal problems, etc, etc,... for example, will the unit need to be a

certain distance from everything, in case of interference, stuff like that.

Thanks!

it would handle it the same way as a monitor assuming your TV can handle it.

Pal And NTSC Switching is done Via a rocker Switch on the unit.

Oh, that's great. :cool:

• 3 weeks later...

Update!!!

The Prototype Boards are on the way! after testing them we will make a full run of boards, start assembling them and getting them in stock at video61 ASAP.

Here is a more accurate representation of what the unit will look like.

Update!!!

The Prototype Boards are on the way! after testing them we will make a full run of boards, start assembling them and getting them in stock at video61 ASAP.

Coolness! I can't wait to get my greedy little mitts on one! :)

Update!!!

Power is not required for a 1040 or Mega 2 ST correct?

Power is not required for a 1040 or Mega 2 ST correct?

According to what he said from an earlier posting:

It would appear not. I hope thats right - will make it easier when I try to mount this thing in my STacy. :)

<lol> What a salesman, he's just trying to keep me coming back for more! (and I will)... :D

No problem - thanks for such a great game. I think its just awesome that we still see

Hmm, 3x2x1...I might be able to work that in. BTW, I don't remember it being mentioned

elsewhere, so if it was, apologies - but is the unit going to require its own separate power

supply? Thanks.

Would correcting the 520ST's lack of 12V on the video port be a simple matter of running a wire from the power supply header to the appropriate pin? If so, I think I'd rather handle getting power to it that way instead of having a separate brick.

supply? Thanks.

Would correcting the 520ST's lack of 12V on the video port be a simple matter of running a wire from the power supply header to the appropriate pin? If so, I think I'd rather handle getting power to it that way instead of having a separate brick.

There is more to it than that. The 520 has a ground at that pin instead of 12Volts.

How do I order one of these video adapters for my Atari 1040STE? I do not see it listed on on the link show at

http://members.tcq.net/video61/index.html

What is the right address?

Thanks

KLund1

Hi! As far as I know, its not actually released yet. I think its pretty close though.

Keep watching here. :)

I think this adapter would not work on a TT as TTs have VGA output.

It should work on Falcons with 13-pin output though I believe.

The thread should've been titled ...on Atari ST/ Falcon systems.

I think this adapter would not work on a TT as TTs have VGA output.

It should work on Falcons with 13-pin output though I believe.

The thread should've been titled ...on Atari ST/ Falcon systems.

My Mistake. Sorry about that Folks. I've never actually seen a TT Before So I just assumed it had a 13pin video port like the other ST's.

Edited by kjmann

• 2 weeks later...