7800 - Easter game

45 replies to this topic

#1 GroovyBee OFFLINE  

GroovyBee

Games Developer

• 7,978 posts
  • Busy bee!

Posted Mon Apr 13, 2009 2:38 PM

Some screenshots from my Easter game called "Harry's Hen House" (thats HEN! This isn't a Mystique title! :lol: ) :-

hhh01.gif hhh02.gif
hhh03.gif

I had hoped to get it done for Easter weekend but its undergone a bit of a rewrite today. Theres no binary at the moment, but I'll definately put one up later on. If the level looks familiar its taken from an old A&F game called Chuckie Egg. Its using the Wasp! game engine, so its unlikely to work on real hardware :(.

Edited by GroovyBee, Sat Jan 16, 2010 9:49 AM.

#2 PacManPlus OFFLINE  

PacManPlus

River Patroller

• 4,174 posts
  • Atari 7800 Dev

Posted Mon Apr 13, 2009 2:55 PM

Great! Looks very nice.

With this core it looks like a nice 'Space Panic' port could be done ;)

#3 TrekMD OFFLINE  

TrekMD

River Patroller

• 2,575 posts

Posted Mon Apr 13, 2009 3:14 PM

Cool. Looking forward to it...

#4 cd-w OFFLINE  

cd-w

Stargunner

• 1,249 posts
  • Juno First!

Posted Tue Apr 14, 2009 6:45 AM

I had hoped to get it done for Easter weekend but its undergone a bit of a rewrite today. Theres no binary at the moment, but I'll definately put one up later on. If the level looks familiar its taken from an old A&F game called Chuckie Egg. Its using the Wasp! game engine, so its unlikely to work on real hardware :(.

Nice work - Chuckie Egg is a favourite game of mine. My Hunchy 2 game started out as a (failed) attempt to port Chuckie Egg to the 2600. What are the issues with running on real hardware - it would be nice to get this made into a cart eventually?

Chris

P.S. Are you going to have the giant duck chase your around the screen in later levels?

Edited by cd-w, Tue Apr 14, 2009 6:47 AM.

#5 GroovyBee OFFLINE  

GroovyBee

Games Developer

• Topic Starter
  • 7,978 posts
  • Busy bee!

Posted Tue Apr 14, 2009 7:31 AM

Nice work - Chuckie Egg is a favourite game of mine. My Hunchy 2 game started out as a (failed) attempt to port Chuckie Egg to the 2600. What are the issues with running on real hardware - it would be nice to get this made into a cart eventually?

Thanks for the compliment. I don't know what the issues are yet. I have the bits to build a programmable flash cart for my PAL machine. I just haven't gotten around to it yet :(.

P.S. Are you going to have the giant duck chase your around the screen in later levels?

I'm not sure if I should make it into a fully fledged Chuckie Egg or not.

I should be able to post a two level demo this evening. The code to drive the lifts isn't working correctly so that leaves two levels to play :(.

#6 gambler172 OFFLINE  

gambler172

River Patroller

• 2,590 posts
  • none

Posted Tue Apr 14, 2009 12:18 PM

Hi Mark
The screens look really good.Cannot wait to see a working bin....
greetings Walter

#7 GroovyBee OFFLINE  

GroovyBee

Games Developer

• Topic Starter
  • 7,978 posts
  • Busy bee!

Posted Tue Apr 14, 2009 1:12 PM

Binaries for the latest version :-

Attached File  hhh_14_04_09.1.03.a78   32.13KB   280 downloadsAttached File  hhh_14_04_09.1.03.bin   32KB   273 downloadsn]
Jumping is a slightly broken at the moment and its only two levels. Hopefully I'll get some more levels into the next release.

I'm not sure if it'll work on real hardware but if any CC2 owners would try it, then that would be good. I'm particularly interested in checking if the title screen looks like the screenshot in the opening post and if it declares an NTSC or PAL video system found.

Any comments and suggestions appreciated.

Have fun!

#8 Allan OFFLINE  

Allan

Quadrunner

• 5,434 posts

Posted Tue Apr 14, 2009 1:50 PM

On real hardware:
The title screen appears but is partial messed up. You see part of the playfield over the letters of the title. Hit the button and you go to the playfield which looks normal but just stops there. Button does nothing after that.

Allan

#9 GroovyBee OFFLINE  

GroovyBee

Games Developer

• Topic Starter
  • 7,978 posts
  • Busy bee!

Posted Tue Apr 14, 2009 1:58 PM

On real hardware:
The title screen appears but is partial messed up. You see part of the playfield over the letters of the title. Hit the button and you go to the playfield which looks normal but just stops there. Button does nothing after that.

Thanks for testing Allan. It seems my programming style is fine for the emulator but not the hardware :(. Does the big title text appear in yellow? Any chance of a camera picture? PM me if you don't want to clutter the thread. Hopefully I'll be able to build my flash cart soon and sort out the differences between the emulator and the hardware.

#10 Allan OFFLINE  

Allan

Quadrunner

• 5,434 posts

Posted Tue Apr 14, 2009 2:22 PM

Here you go.

Allan

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_4571.jpg
  • IMG_4570.jpg

#11 GroovyBee OFFLINE  

GroovyBee

Games Developer

• Topic Starter
  • 7,978 posts
  • Busy bee!

Posted Tue Apr 14, 2009 2:32 PM

Many thanks for the pictures Allan. Theres definately something weird going on with the way the emulator behaves :(. I had the title screen doing that on the ProSystem emulator and "fixed" it not to do it. Some fix! :x .

On a positive note, it did detect NTSC correctly :).

#12 NML32 OFFLINE  

NML32

Dragonstomper

• 543 posts

Posted Tue Apr 14, 2009 2:47 PM

Many thanks for the pictures Allan. Theres definately something weird going on with the way the emulator behaves :(. I had the title screen doing that on the ProSystem emulator and "fixed" it not to do it. Some fix! :x .

On a positive note, it did detect NTSC correctly :).

I hope you can figure out the problem cus your games look great.

#13 the.golden.ax OFFLINE  

the.golden.ax

Tear down this temple

• 12,424 posts
  • I'll rebuild it in 3 days

Posted Tue Apr 14, 2009 10:29 PM

YEEE HAW!

AX

#14 Mayhem OFFLINE  

Mayhem

River Patroller

• 4,058 posts
  • Commodore Chaos Knight

Posted Wed Apr 15, 2009 4:04 AM

Took one look at the shots and immediately knew what this was, way before reading the text. Looking good so far :)

#15 GroovyBee OFFLINE  

GroovyBee

Games Developer

• Topic Starter
  • 7,978 posts
  • Busy bee!

Posted Wed Apr 15, 2009 6:01 AM

Thanks for the support folks. The next release will be after the weekend.

#16 GroovyBee OFFLINE  

GroovyBee

Games Developer

• Topic Starter
  • 7,978 posts
  • Busy bee!

Posted Wed Apr 15, 2009 10:36 AM

Correction! The next release is today :lol: . I had a bit of a brainwave and hopefully I've made the games library work on real hardware. Would any CC2 owners like to test this version and get back to me? Can you also check if the title screen looks OK? Its slightly out in ProSystem 1.3, but should be better than Allan's picture. If this version works then I'll start a thread on emulator defects. If not, I'll keep plugging away.

Attached File  hhh_15_04_09.1.04.a78   32.13KB   300 downloadsAttached File  hhh_15_04_09.1.04.bin   32KB   247 downloadsn]

#17 Mitch OFFLINE  

Mitch

Quadrunner

• 6,176 posts
  • 7800 Guy

Posted Wed Apr 15, 2009 12:19 PM

I just tried it on an NTSC 7800 with a CC2 and the title screen is worse. Game still locks up when you try to start a game. :(

Mitch

#18 gambler172 OFFLINE  

gambler172

River Patroller

• 2,590 posts
  • none

Posted Wed Apr 15, 2009 12:24 PM

Hi Mark
Really great work.Works great on the emulator.I checked it on my PAL system,but it does not work here.
I also checked it on an NTSC system and it does not work too.But this system is a Development system.So possibly it might work on a normal 7800????
I can check this at weekend.
greetings Walter

#19 gambler172 OFFLINE  

gambler172

River Patroller

• 2,590 posts
  • none

Posted Wed Apr 15, 2009 12:25 PM

I just tried it on an NTSC 7800 with a CC2 and the title screen is worse. Game still locks up when you try to start a game. :(

Mitch

Hi Mark
The same problems,i had on my NTSC development system.
greetings Walter

#20 GroovyBee OFFLINE  

GroovyBee

Games Developer

• Topic Starter
  • 7,978 posts
  • Busy bee!

Posted Wed Apr 15, 2009 12:44 PM

:(

Sorry folks!

Thanks for testing it out.

No more software updates until I get my homebrew dev cart going thats for sure.

#21 gambler172 OFFLINE  

gambler172

River Patroller

• 2,590 posts
  • none

Posted Thu Apr 16, 2009 11:55 AM

Hi Mark
Do not give up.The game is great and i am sure,you will get it work on real hardware.
greetings Walter

#22 GroovyBee OFFLINE  

GroovyBee

Games Developer

• Topic Starter
  • 7,978 posts
  • Busy bee!

Posted Mon Apr 20, 2009 8:11 AM

Do not give up.The game is great and i am sure,you will get it work on real hardware.

I'm not going to give up. I have every intention of finding out if the game library will work on real hardware. I've got all the parts in that I need to make a dev cart and just need to sit down to make and debug it. Hopefully I'll have some more news later this week.

#23 GroovyBee OFFLINE  

GroovyBee

Games Developer

• Topic Starter
  • 7,978 posts
  • Busy bee!

Posted Mon Jun 8, 2009 4:17 PM

As soon as I convert the game from 160B to 160A mode I'll be posting a binary that works on real hardware :-o. It'll also test out the graphics library because they are the only two modes it'll support when its released (at the moment).

#24 Shawn Sr. OFFLINE  

Shawn Sr.

Pale Emperor

• 13,358 posts

Posted Mon Jun 8, 2009 7:20 PM

As soon as I convert the game from 160B to 160A mode I'll be posting a binary that works on real hardware :-o. It'll also test out the graphics library because they are the only two modes it'll support when its released (at the moment).

sweet :)

#25 TrekMD OFFLINE  

TrekMD

River Patroller

• 2,575 posts

Posted Mon Jun 8, 2009 9:46 PM

Excellent!

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users