IGNORED

Digital Press Collector's Guide NOT on AtariAge

• 2 weeks later...

DP Guide covers many many vintage systems. There are some flaws with it and I've told Joe several times over the years about some of the problems.

#1 is that there should be someone out there who knows all the Nintendo cartridge #'s. I gave Joe all I had, and will be sending him more after I review his list as to what I have. I would think though after the past couple of years he could have compiled a complete list of these.

#2 is that he won't list CBS label variations for Colecovision, but just dumped a whole bunch of other foreign ones on the list. This upsets me more since I've been giving him a list of games with the cart #'s so he can add them.

#3 is that on the computer systems, he does NOT have cartridges that do Financial things, mathematics, etc. If they aren't games, they aren't included, but he includes them with Atari and other systems. To me, if it's a cartridge, then add the sucker. :)

#4 is I was disappointed with the removal of the PC Engine section for the TG-16. Many games were never released in the US, and the first time he put these in the guide, it gave me a good idea on what was out there. Of course trying to read the Japanese instructions and such wasn't easy, but eventually I would figure out the few I own.

#5 is that there are a few screwy things listed in the protos section. I can't remember if it's just the 2600, or other systems as well, but he has $0 for almost everything, meaning I guess he couldn't track sales on them. Thing is, he has some rated at R10 for the hardest in rarity, but others as R0, which do exist, but he defines R0 as doesn't exist. There were definitely a few of these too, so you can't really credit it to typos.

But overall, I like the guide. Yes there are cool articles, some give extensive background on how the system came into the market, how it was received, what is good about it, what is bad about it, and much more. I've had my guide now for over 1 month, and have not completely gone through it.

Oh, one other problem. I just recently acquired Fatal Run. Joe lists this cart for both US released and Foreign released, but the caption under the title says released overseas. So my question is, is there really a NTSC version? Are both versions valued at $25.00? I'm sure something here is in error.

I'd also like to see an extensive label or explanation, possibly by Marco since he's most knowledgable about these things, on the foreign games. I'm getting so confused with Quelle and Star Soft and many others. Sometimes I have no idea which versions I have. If I have time, I may scan some labels. I know Albert said he wanted to make a foreign section here on the website.

Ok, enough said. I'm going to copy this exact post on the other thread that Digital Press started too.

Phil

I'd also like to see productivity or financial software listed if it came in cart form, especially in the XE section.

AFAIK no one has found a NTSC Fatal Run. It has long been posted (and assumed) that an NTSC proto exists, but when I tried to track it down I could find no information on it. Personally I wouldn't be surprised if an NTSC proto existed, but I don't think anyone owns one at the moment.

Klax was also listed in the NTSC section I believe.

Tempest

#3 is that on the computer systems, he does NOT have cartridges that do Financial things, mathematics, etc. If they aren't games, they aren't included, but he includes them with Atari and other systems. To me, if it's a cartridge, then add the sucker. :)

It's gonna be done hopefully for DP#8... just more work for us section editors ;)

Well, I've always been helpful with supplying Joe with any information that he was lacking and I had. I would like to see something on the Timex Sinclair. Was there cartridges released for this computer system? My father owned the 1000 and 2500 systems, and I still have the 2500 mint in the box after all these years. I remember programming on it with a cheesy monitor sitting at the kitchen table with I was young. :)

There are also a few other systems that I think should be covered such as the Pre-Computer 1000 and Action Max, though Action Max wasn't really a cartridge based system, it still should be considered a vintage video game. I'm also surprised systems such as Sega Genesis, Super Nintendo, Sega CD and a few others haven't been covered. Also 3DO, Atari Lynx, Sega Game Gear, Virtual Boy, Atari Jaguar and CDi. There probably are a few others, but at the moment, I'm extremely tired and can't think straight. I think alot of people are interested in knowing these. I know it would add some cost, but I figure throwing an extra $5.00 on the price guide should off set it and make some people happy with the added info. Maybe the SNES and Genesis can be held off since they have hundreds and hundreds of games, but I think systems with less than 100 games released for them should be covered since they wouldn't take up too much.

I'm also going to suggest, probably will email a detailed letter to Joe, that you should place a checklist at the end of each listing. The square in front of the game listing is good except for one thing. I like to note whether or not I have the box, instructions, overlays, and whether or not my copy is sealed. Not sure how hard this would be, but I would add a B, I, O, and S at the end of each title.

One other error I discovered is the Overlays listed especially for Colecovision. Games like Dam Busters, Dr. Seuss, Front Line, Rocky, Spy Hunter, SA Baseball, SA Football, and War Games state that they include Overlays, but games like Mouse Trap, Star Trek, and War Room were forgotten. There may be others, but like I said, I'm a little tired.

Ok, that's enough rambling for the evening. I'd like to see this topic continue to see some input, especially from the DP staff. Thanks Russ for stating about the Star Soft thing on the 2600.

Phil

I'm sure it was due to keeping the cost down...But man I'd love to see some color pages.

Over-all though I'm enjoying my copy very much. Perhaps Joe could release different guides for different eras. Or at least two. One with everything up to the crash and into the NES/Genisis. And another SNES and forward. Of course I'd guess cost with be an issue there too. DAMNIT JOE! Why can't you be a billionaire!!!???

moycon

wrote

Perhaps Joe could release different guides for different eras

Andy Slaven of Video Game Biblle is working on just that.

The current guide covers systems from 1985-2002.

On page 383 of the bible there is a coming soon section and one of the bibles will be 1972-1984 which will include atari.

I like the DP guide but also think some improvements would be great and I agree color would be great.

It's possible now that video game bible is due which means competion for the dp guide that those improvements will happen.

Competition is great for all.

Over-all though I'm enjoying my copy very much. Perhaps Joe could release different guides for different eras. Or at least two. One with everything up to the crash and into the NES/Genisis. And another SNES and forward. Of course I'd guess cost with be an issue there too. DAMNIT JOE! Why can't you be a billionaire!!!???

YES!

Exactly what I've been telling Joe ever since DPG6 came out. I'm sure there's an audience for a guide that covers all, but personally I could do without much of the systems covered in DPG7. You could think of numerous break-ups of systems and make a corresponding number of binders. Like "Everything Atari", "Pre-NES", "Computers", or whatever suits the interest of the readers. Sounds like a plan?

Cheers,

Marco

If these were released in sections that were hole-punched and were able to be purchased seperately, that would be cool. Though I want it all anyway. The whole binder thing is cool, since you can buy updates for the sections with changed or added information. And keeping them in binders is a lot easier to handle. If these guides grow too much, I'll need a new bookshelf just for them.

Phil

I would like to see something on the Timex Sinclair. Was there cartridges released for this computer system?

Yes, there were. There were a few cartridges for the TS 2068, a few (mostly the same) for the TS 1000 with the cartridge adaptor, and of course if you count the Sinclair Spectrum in the UK (same machine mostly) there were cartridges for it too.

There are also a few other systems that I think should be covered such as the Pre-Computer 1000 and Action Max, though Action Max wasn't really a cartridge based system, it still should be considered a vintage video game.

Yeah, I'd like to see some of that stuff covered too, but it really is getting borderline with the educational systems.

And if you include Action Max, should you include the Captain Power toys? What about videocassette games like Clue? Iffy.

I'm also surprised systems such as Sega Genesis, Super Nintendo, Sega CD and a few others haven't been covered. Also 3DO, Atari Lynx, Sega Game Gear, Virtual Boy, Atari Jaguar and CDi.

Too new. Maybe another Guide. There's VGB and JerryG guides that have some of this, and DP has lists online though.

Ok, that's enough rambling for the evening. I'd like to see this topic continue to see some input, especially from the DP staff. Thanks Russ for stating about the Star Soft thing on the 2600.

No problem.

• 3 months later...

Boy you think you got all the answers, don't you John Hardie. You and Santulli and Sean "The FBI's commin' to dinner" Kelley and all your little cronies think you got it all dont ya? Well I got news for you bub, we are onto your game and as Mr. T once said "I ain't got time for your jibbar jabbar, fool. No more sh*t talk, agreed? The end game has come. Me and the Super-Gang got our eyes on this and you know its not just us its lots of us. There is a new faction in the Atari world today and thats something that you should remember. Gone are the days of you talking your sh*t about things and having that be that. Joe doesnt want to start a war here, just wants to put his foot down when he has had enough. I just say NO to that bull. And thats my final word on that.

Regards to all of the good-hearted Atari-loving players down at tha DP

Thanks, Joe

Captian, Atari Super-Gang

PS- I got one name for you Mr. Hardie ....Neena Das. A name to respect. A name to fear. Just like bob vila.

Where's that emoticon that means "what the heck?"

Oh wait, here it is! --> :?

Do I *know* you, "Atari Joe"? We share the same name, we apparently like the same company, but there's a certain hostility in your tone that I don't understand. What's up with that?

Hey anyway, hope to see you at Philly or CGE. There aren't nearly enough "Joe's" about.

Anyway, it would be nice if you'd introduce yourself! I don't believe we've met.

Game on, brother.

you see this is exactly what im talking about you people are like spoiled little children this is nothing but sh*t talk! ...talkin all about "being on medication and jibbar jabbar like that and "see this is what happens when you summon this man" listen I dont need this i need this forum like i need a shotgun blast to the face and as long as this is a free country and im not hurting anyone im going to speak my mind put my foot down say what needs to be said and draw a line in the sand and all those who want to trudge forward to a better tomarrow for atari please take one step forward. THERE IS NO NEED TO PLAY THESE MIND GAMES FOR DECADES.

all im saying is that there are people here who take the fun out of atari and i wont stand for it any more and neither will lots of other people who keep their mouth shut who i talk to and know about. its time to lay down the arms and come together to play curcuis atari and asteroids and all those games and just go out and have fun. You say game on brother... but it's game over for those who wish to pin vendors against eachother and be all exclusive and play games with peoples lives. I know a bunch of fascists and pirates when I see them. Now i know nolan didnt have that in mind when he made pong.

I dont come here to stir things up or to cause trouble and get people all wylie but i wont sti by and see my friends draged throu the mud and see you get away with it and im gonna take a stand. right or wrong im gona take a stand. Say what you want and do what you will i have said my peace.

I just dont like your attitude, son.

- Joe

*** still captain after all these years ***

Boy you think you got all the answers, don't you John Hardie.  

PS- I got one name for you Mr. Hardie ....Neena Das. A name to respect. A name to fear. Just like bob vila.

Dude, you need to start taking that medication again, I am telling you. :D

First of all, John didn't post in this thread and second he doesn't even know you. So what the hell was that post supposed to mean exactly ? :ponder:

If you are making a general statement about somebody, perhaps you should start your own little rant, not tack onto someone elses thread that has absolutely nothing to do with what the hell you are talking about.

You are a very strange person and you obviously don't have a sense of humor so let's just leave it at that. :?

P.S. If I were your son (not that you're old enough), I would probably have commited a serious crime by now. :sleep: