IGNORED

Wanted: EPROM programmer to program 2600 carts

IceCold

Looking for an EPROM programmer that can be used to make 2600/5200/Atari 8 bit carts. Mostly just looking to make some reproductions of rare games and prototypes(just for myself, probably won't put any labels on it even, just want to mess around with them on real hardware).

Anyways, I'm currently unemployed, so hoping not to spend TOO much money on it, but I understand that they're not exactly cheap. Because of this, though, I'd be willing to use DOS only units, ones that require an ISA card to be used with it, etc. I won't be programming enough EPROM's to need a convenient USB one, and I'd be willing to setup an old PC with DOS just for this purpose. So, hopefully, somebody bought a new USB EPROM programmer for convenience reasons and is willing to sell me an older unit on the cheap. Let me know :)

Keep in mind I'm also not looking to take away money from the Atariage store, I fully intend on picking up some homebrew games through there soon. Along with any PCB's that I need, EPROM's, etc.(assuming I can find a good EPROM programmer)

thank you

Edited by IceCold

This is what I use. Do not give into those cheep Willem programmers on ebay, they will not do what you want them to do. Also, you want an EPROM programmer, not an EEPROM programmer.

Yup, that was a huge brain fart. I know the difference between an EPROM and an EEPROM, I just wasn't thinking when I made that post.

Anyways, I'm hoping I can get one without spending $150, but if I can't find one I'll think about the one you linked to.

**Bumparoo**

So nobody has upgraded to a newer eprom burner? And wants to get rid of their serial/proprietary ISA interface/etc. burner? :(

Keep in mind that I'm not going to ask for any 'tech support' or anything either with it. I'm a pretty technical guy(even if it might not always come across that way :P ) so I'm really just looking the hardware, and I can figure it out from there..

**Bumparoo**

So nobody has upgraded to a newer eprom burner? And wants to get rid of their serial/proprietary ISA interface/etc. burner? :(

Keep in mind that I'm not going to ask for any 'tech support' or anything either with it. I'm a pretty technical guy(even if it might not always come across that way :P ) so I'm really just looking the hardware, and I can figure it out from there..

How much are you looking to spend exactly? I have 2 lower end burners I'm not using that I could sell. I'm not digging them out and testing them for $5 bucks if you follow me.

Edited by Shawn Sr.

How much are you looking to spend exactly? I have 2 lower end burners I'm not using that I could sell. I'm not digging them out and testing them for $5 bucks if you follow me.

I definitely follow you. I wouldn't even expect anybody to pack something like that up and take it to the post office for $5, let alone dig it out and test it :)

I'm hoping around $25-$40. I know a decent new one is about $150, so I'm hoping(since I'm willing to compromise a lot on interface, as I'm willing to use an RS 232, parallel port, or even proprietary ISA interface) that I can find a usable one for a decent price.

It really depends on the brand, interface and model though. If your 'lower end burners' are a reputable brand, easily usable interface(parallel, serial(rs-232), or USB), and can burn a wide variety of eproms, then I may be willing to go over the $25-$40 range.

I can also consider trades. I have quite a few 2600 carts coming my way from a couple auctions, as well as a few 2600 systems that I'm going to mod for composite output. I'm going to mod my 7800 for composite output too soon. So once I get the systems and finish working on them, that might be a potential trade route for somebody too.

**EDIT** I didn't even think about it(since AtariAge is a classic gaming website), but I have a ton of Xbox 360 and PS3 games that I'm not playing either. Maybe I'll post a list in the morning of all my games I'm willing to trade in case anybody's interested.

Edited by IceCold

I definitely follow you. I wouldn't even expect anybody to pack something like that up and take it to the post office for $5, let alone dig it out and test it :)

I'm hoping around $25-$40. I know a decent new one is about $150, so I'm hoping(since I'm willing to compromise a lot on interface, as I'm willing to use an RS 232, parallel port, or even proprietary ISA interface) that I can find a usable one for a decent price.

It really depends on the brand, interface and model though. If your 'lower end burners' are a reputable brand, easily usable interface(parallel, serial(rs-232), or USB), and can burn a wide variety of eproms, then I may be willing to go over the $25-$40 range.

I can also consider trades. I have quite a few 2600 carts coming my way from a couple auctions, as well as a few 2600 systems that I'm going to mod for composite output. I'm going to mod my 7800 for composite output too soon. So once I get the systems and finish working on them, that might be a potential trade route for somebody too.

I might do some trades sure. I'll test out both my extra burners over the next couple days. One is a universal USB burner, the other is a willem 5.0 (parallel port & AC power brick).

Both can do alot of chips but can't do high voltage eproms. All CMOS eproms are good to go for sure though. Only stuff like 2532, 2732 don't program.

Anything 8k (27c64) to 4mb (27c040) will burn. But agian I gotta test them to be sure they will work for you.

What exact chips do you want to be able to work with so I can test to be sure it will be a burner you are happy with?

Edited by Shawn Sr.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

**BUMP**

Thread was dormant for a little while as I was communicating back and forth via pm with Shawn Sr. Both of his old eprom burners don't function properly, so I'll see if anybody else has one they want to get rid of. :)

j.m.ratkos - $150 is quite a bit out of my price range. I'm hoping to find one in the $25-$40 range, but(depending on the interface and features) may go over that. But if I was going to drop $150 I could get a quality new one for that much.

bump

I'm actually a bit surprised, I figured there would be quite a few people that upgraded their eprom burners to USB and their old parallel port burners(or proprietary ISA interface, DOS only, etc.) are just sitting around collecting dust.

I'll keep looking, though. I may just break down and buy a quality new one here in a few weeks if I can't find a used one.

Do not give into those cheep Willem programmers on ebay, they will not do what you want them to do.

I have to say my experience with the Willem programmers available at www.mcumall.com has been largely positive. I've thrown several dozen different IC types and package styles (DIP, PSOP, PLCC) at two different programmer iterations and I had no issues over the past two years. I've used everything from the Needhams EMP series to Batronix (lots of problems with that one) over the past ten years.

Do not give into those cheep Willem programmers on ebay, they will not do what you want them to do.

I have to say my experience with the Willem programmers available at www.mcumall.com has been largely positive. I've thrown several dozen different IC types and package styles (DIP, PSOP, PLCC) at two different programmer iterations and I had no issues over the past two years. I've used everything from the Needhams EMP series to Batronix (lots of problems with that one) over the past ten years.

Consider yourself a very, very lucky man then cause the Willem line as a whole is pretty much jank. I've owned a couple of them and they where not that great. Not a single one of them could handle high voltage eproms or even some simple chips like 2716's or 2732's. After a couple years I smartened up and bought an Needhams EMP-20. Sure wish I would have got one alot sooner cause the Needhams burners will program near any chip you throw at it and they are built like tanks. When it comes to burners you get what you pay for.

bump.

About to give in and drop the ~$150 or so for a good new programmer(maybe the one Wickeycolumbus posted, but we'll see). Or hit up the dreaded eBay :|

I'll give this another month or two, there's got to be somebody out there(especially with the economy and whatnot) who's looking to get rid of an old eprom burner. Plus I just got 2 puppies from the rescue shelter a few days ago, so I'm a bit busy to be making(let alone playing) Atari carts at this point lol.

mimo - if it comes down to buying a new one, that's definitely one I'd consider. I've heard good things and it's only $150.

Still seeing if I can get a used one(I always like to recycle/reuse stuff before buying something new)

Edited by IceCold

This is the one I use: http://www.mcumall.com/comersus/store/come...?idProduct=4282

Never had any problems with it at all, it's fairly easy to use. Can't help you with a used one, but you can put this into the group of potential programmers to buy if you go the new route.

Edit: Same one for much cheaper: http://cgi.ebay.com/Newest-GQ-4X-True-USB-...1QQcmdZViewItem

Edited by MrMark0673

This is the one I use: http://www.mcumall.com/comersus/store/come...?idProduct=4282

Never had any problems with it at all, it's fairly easy to use. Can't help you with a used one, but you can put this into the group of potential programmers to buy if you go the new route.

Edit: Same one for much cheaper: http://cgi.ebay.com/Newest-GQ-4X-True-USB-...1QQcmdZViewItem

I've always heard really bad things about Willem programmers. Anyways, I'm still gonna keep my eye open for a used eprom programmer.

Consider yourself a very, very lucky man then cause the Willem line as a whole is pretty much jank. I've owned a couple of them and they where not that great. Not a single one of them could handle high voltage eproms or even some simple chips like 2716's or 2732's. After a couple years I smartened up and bought an Needhams EMP-20. Sure wish I would have got one alot sooner cause the Needhams burners will program near any chip you throw at it and they are built like tanks. When it comes to burners you get what you pay for.

It's possible. I've had EMP-20s die on me and a few of my associates, so just know they're not bulletproof. It really sucks Needhams is no longer available or I would have been happy to continue using their programmer lineup. If I had to pick from the EMP series that gave me the least problems it was probably the EMP-10, smaller package, couldn't do as many devices as the 20 but it was faster.

• 3 weeks later...