IGNORED

Punch-Out! Wii

Zap!

So to Snakeboy, NOTHING was re-imagined. Same look, same moves, same thing that got you stars in the old one gets you stars here.

Hmm, now I'm confused because someone on another forum who's played the game has pretty much said the opposite thing. He also said that the game gets better the deeper you get into it.

I find it hard to believe that the mainstream press would give an old-school game like this on average 9/10 if it was no more than a straight remake. However, if it is, I suppose at the very worst it will be a fun, yet familiar, game.

I find it hard to believe that the mainstream press would give an old-school game like this on average 9/10 if it was no more than a straight remake. However, if it is, I suppose at the very worst it will be a fun, yet familiar, game.

I found this review very informative:

http://kotaku.com/5261201/punch+out-review...l-it-a-comeback

Can someone rate the motion controls? How does the game feel using new controls as opposed to turning the Wii-mote sideways and using it like a classic controller?

The percision and controls are great, just like they were on the NES and SNES. The balance board was a mess. Either I'm too slow or the board is. Probably me. A button push is much easier to dodge.

Playing with motion controls feels a little less percise so I went with the old style sideways wii controller because that's how it plays best. And it does play brilliantly.

However...

Back to the characters you face...

Another 1/2 hour, another belt.

Once again, there is no difference to their patterns or how to beat these guys than the original games.

They look prettier and are much more animated. That is all.

Piston Honda - Wait for his special attack and dodge dodge dodge punch, get star. Same.

Great Tiger - same as always. Wait for the gem on his turban to blink. When he does his magic look for the blinky gem.

Bear Hugger - same as always duck down when he tries to hug you.

Don Flamenco - same as always. Punch and miss, wait for him to attack, dodge, punch punch punch...

I can see the reviews being high because the game is still addicting and fun just like the originals were. However, I swear to you all that it's the same freaking thing with a new coat of paint.

I hear there are a few more surprise characters though, so that might be nice.

I think they were afraid to add new stuff, which is odd because Disco Kid was done well.

They should have added new characters or at least changed the old ones.

Well, I'm still pretty excited about this game. Even if the first time through feels pretty familiar, everything afterward still sounds interesting. I upped my shipping method at Amazon to 2 day shipping so I should get this game by the weekend.

Can someone rate the motion controls? How does the game feel using new controls as opposed to turning the Wii-mote sideways and using it like a classic controller?

The percision and controls are great, just like they were on the NES and SNES. The balance board was a mess. Either I'm too slow or the board is. Probably me. A button push is much easier to dodge.

Playing with motion controls feels a little less percise so I went with the old style sideways wii controller because that's how it plays best. And it does play brilliantly.

However...

Back to the characters you face...

Another 1/2 hour, another belt.

Once again, there is no difference to their patterns or how to beat these guys than the original games.

They look prettier and are much more animated. That is all.

Piston Honda - Wait for his special attack and dodge dodge dodge punch, get star. Same.

Great Tiger - same as always. Wait for the gem on his turban to blink. When he does his magic look for the blinky gem.

Bear Hugger - same as always duck down when he tries to hug you.

Don Flamenco - same as always. Punch and miss, wait for him to attack, dodge, punch punch punch...

I can see the reviews being high because the game is still addicting and fun just like the originals were. However, I swear to you all that it's the same freaking thing with a new coat of paint.

I hear there are a few more surprise characters though, so that might be nice.

I think they were afraid to add new stuff, which is odd because Disco Kid was done well.

They should have added new characters or at least changed the old ones.

This is so damn disappointing :(

I was really hoping for a great experience with the new controls (like in Super Mario Galaxy, which uses the Wii controls brilliantly).

You'd think they'd change something rather than just throw on a new coat of paint. Really crappy.

Sad thing is I'll probably still buy the damn thing since I loved the original so much.

I suggest that those of you who have been disappointed by therealred's comments should check out this article that Cybergoth has listed here. If you aren't interested in the couple of new modes added to the game, you should probably pass on the game or wait until you can get it cheaper on ebay or something.

It will be interesting to hear therealred's impressions of the World Circuit. According to my friend at another forum, this is where the game really kicks into gear and the difficulty ramps up.

As far as motion controls are concerned, I look at them as kind of a nice "extra" of sorts. Yes, I will probably begin playing using the classic control style and play my way through that way. But once I've had my fill of the game, the motion controls will give me a reason to go back and play a different way.

It seems pretty weak to me that there is only one new character.

Now, granted, I've never played Super Punch-Out!! (SNES) or any of the arcade versions so any recycled characters from those games will be new to me, but still.

And the 2-player head-to-head sounds incredibly lame. Even Double Dragon (NES) had a better tacked-on-as-an-afterthough two-player option, allowing you to play as some of the bad guys.

Otherwise, it sounds pretty sweet. But since I've got the original NES Punch-Out!! on my shelf, I'll wait for the bargain bin to pick the new version up.

Edited by vdub_bobby

This is so damn disappointing :(

I was really hoping for a great experience with the new controls (like in Super Mario Galaxy, which uses the Wii controls brilliantly).

You'd think they'd change something rather than just throw on a new coat of paint. Really crappy.

Sad thing is I'll probably still buy the damn thing since I loved the original so much.

I know my review seems pretty bad, but I really don't mean it to sound horrible. It isn't all bad. It's really really fun and very addicting. It just feels WAY too familiar and it brings very little that is new to the table.

The review should be:

If you loved Punch Out and Super Punch Out, you will love replaying those games again with enhanced graphics and animations.

If the game had 10 new characters and 6 "Classic" characters I would have been much happier.

Instead it has 1 new character (2 really, but I am not going to spoil the surprise ending) and the rest is all reruns that you fight the same way you did before.

That said, for some strange reason that I can't put my finger on, I would still recommend it. It is like an old friend that you haven't seen in a while. It's always fun to catch up and talk about all the stories you have talked about and told 100 times already. It just feels like an upgrade, which isn't necessarily horrible. I just don't know why they did it that way.

(2 really, but I am not going to spoil the surprise ending)

Please be Mike Tyson, Please be Mike Tyson!!!!

:ponder:

:lol:

I think you are talking about this game (which I will also be buying).

:D

I know my review seems pretty bad, but I really don't mean it to sound horrible. It isn't all bad. It's really really fun and very addicting. It just feels WAY too familiar and it brings very little that is new to the table.

The review should be:

If you loved Punch Out and Super Punch Out, you will love replaying those games again with enhanced graphics and animations.

If the game had 10 new characters and 6 "Classic" characters I would have been much happier.

Instead it has 1 new character (2 really, but I am not going to spoil the surprise ending) and the rest is all reruns that you fight the same way you did before.

That said, for some strange reason that I can't put my finger on, I would still recommend it. It is like an old friend that you haven't seen in a while. It's always fun to catch up and talk about all the stories you have talked about and told 100 times already. It just feels like an upgrade, which isn't necessarily horrible. I just don't know why they did it that way.

Do you have to beat the game through a second time on title defence to get to the other new character?

Edited by bretthorror

I gotta disagree with the comments about this game being a 're-run'. Yeah, all the old fighters are there, and yeah, they have similar moves, but (other than the minor league dudes), they play different, and the timing is completely different too. Take Don Flamenco for example. That guy is WAY more tough than he used to be. Each fighter looks like an update, but plays subtly different. Sure, Bald Bull does the ol' bull charge, but the timing to knock his ass to the ground is completely different.

Plus, everyone gets way harder in title defense mode. In my book, this is the poster game for how to successfuly update an old franchise. Make it shiny, and make it look new, but don't change the fundamentals of what made the original games(s) fun.

One thing I do like a lot, btw, is how much more character the characters have. Many of them are hilarious. I've laughed out loud several times, notable at King Hippo and Aran Ryan. And Don Flamenco dragon punches bulls :lol:

Good times. I forgot how much fun this franchise was. Make more!

• Like 1

Well, I picked it up yesterday. Probably will not be able to play it until tonight but I am very excited! I hear this game is basically like the original but better, I gotta admit, that sounds great! Mike Tysons Punchout is one of the, damn close to only, reason I still have an NES. Sure there was some great NES games but MTPO is one of the few I still find HIGHLY playable today, if this Wii version has the same impact then thank you Nintendo! Looking forward to tonight :)

So who got it? What do you think? I can't pick it up until Saturday :(

I got it. My son really wanted it. I played it tonight and it looks really really nice.

I fought the first 4 boxers.

Glass Joe = Same as he ever was

Van Keiser = Same as he ever was

...So to Snakeboy, NOTHING was re-imagined. Same look, same moves, same thing that got you stars in the old one gets you stars here.

As you said, you barely played the game, so you are too hasty with your statements. Because the 2nd Glass Joe and the 2nd Von Kaiser KICKED MY ASS. And I'm sure they'll kick yours too the first time you play them. :lol: God it sucks being beaten by Glass Joe. :P

So yeah... this game rocks. Don't listen to people saying there's nothing new.

Edited by NE146

I now have to chime in here..

I picked this up Tuesday and have played it quite a bit off an on. I never did own or play Super Punch-out so I only have the original Punch-Out on NES to compare with.

for starters... NONE of the fighters have been really the same as their older NES versions. Great Tiger did this odd move in the NES version where he would spin around the screen punching you each time he came around. That move doesn't appear in this version and I wasn't prepped for his new one which really required me to be quicker and paying more attention.

And it took me forever to get past Ryan Aran. I'd never fought this guy in any of the previous games and had no idea how to defeat him. As it is, I still finally manage to beat him, but only by decision. I simply can't find how to get enough punches in there to knock him down more.

And yeah, the first time I came up against Don Flamenco was like coming up against a different guy. He was stupid easy on the NES version but it took me I don't know how many times to finally get past him on this new version. I still haven't beaten the World Title yet.. as I seem to be way slow on my reflexes these days compared to my younger days.. hehe

So who got it? What do you think? I can't pick it up until Saturday :(

I got it. My son really wanted it. I played it tonight and it looks really really nice.

I fought the first 4 boxers.

Glass Joe = Same as he ever was

Van Keiser = Same as he ever was

...So to Snakeboy, NOTHING was re-imagined. Same look, same moves, same thing that got you stars in the old one gets you stars here.

As you said, you barely played the game, so you are too hasty with your statements. Because the 2nd Glass Joe and the 2nd Von Kaiser KICKED MY ASS. And I'm sure they'll kick yours too the first time you play them. :lol: God it sucks being beaten by Glass Joe. :P

So yeah... this game rocks. Don't listen to people saying there's nothing new.

Yup. The second time through is completely different and I got my arse handed to me.

Once again, the game is as fun as it ever was. Maybe even more fun.

Just wished there were new characters.

Yeah this game rocks! It has that gameplay where I just keep saying "one more then I'll quit" over and over again. As far as the comments of this being a re hash, no way, maybe the first 4 fights (Glass Joe, Kaiser, Hippo) are kind of the same ol same ol but after that, it's a whole different animal. Great Game, nothing like getting my ass whooped by Don Flamenco :D I am currently battling Soda Popinski. I was damn near winning but me and my Wife took a break to watch Paul Blart Mall Cop (nothing special BTW) Well I'm going to get a few more rounds in before bed. Let me just ad that I rarely, if ever, spend $50 on a (current gen) game and when I do I usually regret it. No regrets on this one, well worth the asking price :)