IGNORED

Punch-Out! Wii

Zap!

Month-old BUMP because we just got Punch-Out Wii last weekend.

I am very impressed at how entertaining this game is! I got through all three circuits using Wii motion controls and had no probs, other than getting tired. But now I am using the classic controls, Caf jr and I are going thru the Title Defense fights.

Not much else to say except the developers did a fine job at updating this classic. There really are a lot of ways to play this - the motion controls are really nice to dabble with just for fun's sake. I like the hidden star moves that you can find, and coupled with the challenges, it adds that needed extra wrinkle to the game.

Doc Louis rocks!

• 2 months later...

not to be rude, i think boxing isnt a game for any system (excluding the NES of course... well... part of it *cough*ring kings*cough*)

i think that it wont be that fun. i play boxing of wii sports, and its fun for a while, but then the opponents get insanely hard and when your throwing punches as fast as you can, the wiimote starts getting less aware of where its at. then i get owned by my own wii.

I really played the shit out of this game the first two weeks I had it but I haven't touched it since, just nothing to come back to yet I guess....maybe I will get the itch down the road though so I won't sell it just yet :)

Same here. I played it until I beat it and haven't touched it since. However, it's a great game so I won't be getting rid of it. I ended up playing it with traditional controls rather than motion control. I just wasn't quick enough with the motion controls to beat the harder opponents.

• 2 years later...

Well, considering this is a Nintendo Selects title now, what better old thread to bump than this one? :D

I picked this up on payday and finally popped it in last night. So far, I'm having a blast with it. It's a major throwback to the original NES Punch-Out!!. I agree with several sentiments earlier in the thread that, while everything seems familiar at first, the old opponents have completely new patterns. Don Flamenco and the Great Tiger in particular took me several tries before I was able to defeat them, because of the new patterns. Actually, to see how different they were, immediately after playing this game, I played a few rounds on my copy of the Virtual Console NES Punch-Out. There's definitely a difference!

I only have a few complaints with the game, and very, very minor ones at that. First off, I wish there was a way to skip through the menus and such without having to point the Wii-mote at the screen. Because I play with the classic control style, it gets annoying having to switch between pointing at the screen just to hit "OK", then flipping it back to play the match. Also, I think it would have been cool if they added in features from Super Punch-Out!!, like the super meter. It would have been neat if it was somehow integrated, or offered as a separate gameplay style/mode. Still, all in all, this is definitely the way to do a remake. It's also just as impressive now as it probably was three years ago. The level of polish is nearly perfect. So, if you haven't checked this game out yet.. DO IT! :D

• 4 years later...
  • 7 years later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I am playing through all the title defense fights right now, and I just defeated Bald Bull.  I'm afraid I may have made a mistake because I'm playing on the WiiU over HDMI and of course I'm concerned about lag.  The TV I'm on has a very nice "game" mode that I've tested and does not introduce (much) latency, but I'm kinda concerned that the WiiU itself might be slowing things down.  I'd go switch to an actual Wii, but there's no way to move a save over.

Anybody else have some recent memories of this game?  I'm finding that for Soda Pop and Bald Bull that I've had to resort to pattern memorization or other little clues.  Reacting to specific movements is just too hard.  I'm wondering if playing on the Wii on a CRT would be about the same or easier?

12 hours ago, Austin said:

The Punch-Out games are heavily memorization based, especially later on in the playthroughs. Quick reflexes will ever only get you so far.

I'm most familiar with the NES game where you CAN rely on your reflexes quite a bit, but I think you're right about the Wii (and every other) version.  I'm sticking with the WiiU for now.