IGNORED

BattleSphere Gold

the.golden.ax

Being somewhat new to Jaguar (had a Jag back in the day but just started getting back into it) I was wondering how many BattleSphere, and BattleSphere Gold were released in total. Sorry if this is a rehash of old threads. Since I have been a member I hadn't seen it talked about much. Was it a limited release? How much was it when it came out. Other than everyone saying how great a game it is, are the value, rarity and demand just because there are very few?

Thanks,

AX

are the value, rarity and demand just because there are very few?

It's just simple economics man; low supply + high demand = high price. ;) Same thing happened with the CC2 & Kroko. That's certainly what has happened to Battle Sphere classic, Gold & Trio editions.

I believe Scatologic sold the original classic editon sold for $79.99 and the Gold was $159.99 I think and the very special Trio sold for around $1225.00 they were all limited in as far as every cart, every run sold out(and fast!). TBird(of Scatologic) is selling a sealed Battle Sphere Gold on ebay right now. All proceeds go to Diabetes Research.

It has not been disclosed how many Battle Spheres have been released.

post-9089-1242652919_thumb.jpg

Edited by ovalbugmann

All the information is out there, either on the live web or the waaybackmachine. But like anything it requires research. Go to ebay and search for a "Atari Jaguar BattleSphere Gold" auction being done by "captainawesome" and you can read all about BSG. ;) It's a pretty cool cart (+ accessories).

Go to archive.org and plug in Scatologic.com or buyjugs.com and read the old site.

It's a 9 or 10 rarity - I'm sure. ;)

There were a lot more than 150 made, that photo is one run of the classic edition.

Trio was a one-of-a-kind, one-off cart when the crew briefly came out of retirement; It has BS, BSG & JUGS on it + a very special unique introduction sequence that only the owner(buyer) & Scatocrew have seen. He won't put up a video of it.

The complete detailed development history of the game is available on dead web (the Waaybackmachine) on a site called Addie's Atari Page - look for a games development tab "A-B" in the Jaguar section - cool stuff.

Axe getta BSG I prefer it over the BS! I love this game. Its beautiful in every way.

Ive been trying to figure out how many are out there too.

One of my buds guesstimated this afew years ago based on ppl in forumss that say they have them or posted pic of there collection.

BS=300 copies

BSG=100 copies

BST=2 (one being sold,the other locked away for the gods!)

My guess would be to add another 50 to both or at least to BS and 25 to BSG.

But we might never know.

Still worth the purchase to me.

The reason this all came up is the eBay post. It's on my "complete" jaguar collection list. So I'm going after that one, but would want to both play the game, and keep that one sealed. You just don't see it that often, so I don't know how realistic that goal is. It would be great to get a pair of them. I'm worried about Buddy though, does he already have 32 copies or is he still on the trail to aquire them all :D ?

AX

I didn't know there was more than one copy of Trio either. In fact, I'm pretty sure that Thunderbird said that it was a one-of-a-kind, unique cart specifically to see if it was possible, and to raise money for charity.

I'd say that your other estimate are very roughly accurate. Classic came out in two runs, and I'd guess that each was around 200 copies. BS Gold was released in only one run as far as I know, and I'd guess in about the same number.

Yes, if you like space combat sims like Star Raiders, X-Wing, TIE Fighter, etc, you will enjoy it. It is also the most technically advanced game ever released for the Jaguar, and makes a good showcase for the Jaguar.

Because of the rarity, once people get their hands on a copy they rarely let it go, thus leading to the high prices. You also have eBay speculators like SweetStuff4U hoarding copies to deliberately drive prices up.

Not sure how many copies of BS/BSG that Buddies has - he did not put up a picture of his collection in the JS2 Gallery. I would say he has at least eight or more copies total right now, just guessing tho- he needs 16 for the Jag Kiosk network. You only need 16 copies for the 32 player network(two per BS station) I believe.

Hey I'd settle for anything... $750 and new isn't my idea of fun though. I wouldn't have the heart to open it, and it's too high. I understand it will be a couple hundred and I would consider $500 on gold from what I understand thats about the going rate.. but $750 on that auction. Wow. Hope they don't hack it up to be a Skunkboard casing.

AX

You get that the point was to raise money for a worthy charity, right? Make a generous donation - AND get something to show for it. I wouldn't pay $750 either, but if someone wants to donate to the charity, why not?

Sure, I understood that and appreciate it. Just out of my league, and sealed (so I couldn't play it). Since collecting Jag stuff it's the first one I've seen offered... I know it will be the last one I'm trying to get when everything else is said and done (other than the carts from the arcade machines)

AX

Hey I'd settle for anything... $750 and new isn't my idea of fun though. I wouldn't have the heart to open it, and it's too high. I understand it will be a couple hundred and I would consider $500 on gold from what I understand thats about the going rate.. but $750 on that auction. Wow. Hope they don't hack it up to be a Skunkboard casing.

AX

Shuddup yo face!

Its in the name of ART! :D

Now there can be a very loose BSG for ya! :rolling:

I'll sell ya mine when I get alittle closer to the grave..Please dont spend over $525 shipped..wait and it will come AX. I only waited...um..5-6 years to get mine (BSG) since I missed the oringinal release somehow! I got 2 of the reg BS in 2-3 years of the release. If I had an extra BS still Id sell it to ya but I still recommend BSG instead..its worth the extra cash.

... and sealed (so I couldn't play it).

I've never understood the whole 'it's sealed so I can't open it' thing.

Games are meant to be ripped open and played, not placed on a pedestal and worshipped....

post-8320-1243113769_thumb.jpg

Games are meant to be ripped open and played, not placed on a pedestal and worshipped....

God NO!

Gentley opened!

I dont care if its sealed...BUT..Im a box freak so yeah! If its a common game I dont care..but the more value it has, it must have a box for it!

Ah shutupa ya face! ;)

:rolling: :rolling: :rolling: :rolling:

I know who Iwan will never allow in his home! :D

Gentley opened!

When I get a sealed game, I open it, flatten the cardboard box along the seams, and put them in a box for safe keeping. I hate getting any tears or marks on the box, but for me, the only real value of the box and such is to help with resale value.

That's one of the things I really like about Mad Bodies: it ships in a very cool VHS-style hard plastic shell. The box looks great, yet it can take a reasonable amount of daily usage without getting any rips or creases like a cheap cardboard box.

Well, you kill the resale value when you open a classic(old game). I just couldn't do that. Even when I bought Bubsy II for Jaguar... I waited for an open one to come along even though there were a million of em new. I love the liberation of a real flash cart for any system, it makes me want CIB/Sealed stuff... when you can play it and keep it perfect thats the best of both worlds... like pie a la mode.

AX

Well, you kill the resale value when you open a classic(old game).

I don't ever resell my Jaguar stuff -the only Atari I have boxed items of, so I don't have to worry about that. :D

Well I wasn't going to say anything on a point that I disagree on, there's no sense in it. People should be able to spend their money and use their things as they wish.

But I Very Much Agree with ls650 here! :) Games are meant to be played! :D Axe & Iwan - you guys must be rich -to have entire libraries of sealed games-haha-must be nice man!. :roll: I think it's a waste, CIB is fine and if you do what nonner said - of sliting just the top of the box plastic enough to get the contents out, then you still have the plastic to protect the whole box anyway, that's what I do - leave the plastic on except for the top. I have a desire to get my monies worth out of a game purchase and get some entertainment for the price I paid. If you take good care to open only the top of the plastic and don't bend the flap too much, I don't think it hurts the value much at all.

Edited by ovalbugmann

Well actually, less than half my games are sealed. I actually only prefer games that are sealed if it can be played on a flash cart (not emulation). For Jaguar, none of them can be used with Skunk Board 2 and thats all I have... so I like them opened, not new. This concept isn't because I plan to resell, but the thought of the value going down. I relish knowing that the sealed copy of something that I have is worth more. If I get to keep a game sealed, AND play it, that is ideal. Just like with this BSG though, if it isn't able to be used because it was sealed, then I wouldn't really want it that bad.. Sure, I'd take a New BSG... but then I'd try to get an open one to play before I'd open the new copy. It isn't that I disagree with you that games are made to be played. They are. It's just that I can't open a new one. It's almost like defiling it. Just a quirk.

AX