IGNORED

Gauntlet stinks...

Joey Kay

I was going through my 8-bit software and stumbled across Gauntlet. I had forgotten I owned it-- because the game was so awful I never played it after I bought it back in 1989. What a rip! :x

How could Mindscape have ruined Gauntlet with one fell swoop? Were the Mindscape versions for other platforms this bad, too? I remember the NES version was great, but I don't think Mindscape did that one...

Cheers!

Joey

Gauntlet for the Atari 8-bit & C64 were nearly identical. I thought it was fine too- back then it was my favorite arcade game & at least I had a home version (including Deeper Dungeons). If I recall correctly the Apple version's graphics REALLY sucked. I remember drooling over the box's ST screenshot! Now I have the PSX version which is near arcade-perfect.

BTW- Tengen made the NES 8-bit version.

Hmmm...

I never liked the controls - I found them a bit sluggish. Also, I found the graphics kinda dry... The whole game just seemed to lack the sparkle and playability of the arcade and the NES version...

I think I got a thousand times more play out of my jurassic Qix cart than I ever got from Gauntlet...

Cheers!

Joey

I liked the 8-bit Gauntlet, although I knew it wasn't the best home version, I thought they did a decent job...I tried the C64 version before I sold my C64 and it moved slightly faster, but the scrolling was choppier. It had a few more colors, but yeah, for the most part they were the same...I actually prefered the Atari version over the C64 because even though the Atari was *slightly* more sluggish, I could control it better...I still play doubles on it once in a while when my nephew visits, he loves it and he's SNES/Genesis/PSX generation. Although I always made sure he knew&loved Atari growing up too...8-bit, 7800, Lynx&Jaguar. :wink:

I remember going back to this game earlier this year and did feel that I had a much better impression of it when it first came out.

The graphics and sound were fine IMHO, just the control and slickly jerky movement was a pain. Firing also did always go as you'd expect.

I play the ST version when I want to relive it.

Mark