Photo

Video Game Stores in Connecticut

41 replies to this topic

#26 gfunk823 OFFLINE  

gfunk823

Star Raider

• 99 posts

Posted Tue Aug 23, 2011 12:38 PM

yea i had to deal with that guy at the wallingford flea market he tried to make me pay 50 bucks for galaga atari 7800, THPS3 n64, Killer instinct N64, Castlevania 3, and Bomberman Nes.......i got him down to 20 and then he tried to get them back from me

#27 fortycal88 OFFLINE  

fortycal88

Space Invader

• 14 posts

Posted Thu Oct 20, 2011 6:59 PM

I was reading the threads and agree that there has always been a lack of good video game stores in CT. Growing up as a kid there was a Funcoland in Manchester CT that was absorbed by Gamestop and discontinued all of the classic video games.I was heartbroken when it closed.

It has always been my dream to fill that void and after 15 years in the corporate world I am opening my own independent video game store in Westport CT on October 22nd. We will be specializing in everything from Atart and Colecovision up to PS3, Xbox 360, etc...I just finished putting together the wall of NES which has about 600 NES games. The store is called Retro Games Plus and is located at 1761 Post Road East in Westport CT for all you other CT gamers if you are in the area stop by! Also check us out at www.retrogamesplus.com.

#28 gfunk823 OFFLINE  

gfunk823

Star Raider

• 99 posts

Posted Sat Oct 22, 2011 3:06 PM

i will totally check this out/probably be spending a good paycheck or 2 there

#29 nvrmndtheruins OFFLINE  

nvrmndtheruins

Moonsweeper

• 300 posts

Posted Fri Nov 18, 2011 12:17 PM

How did I NEVER see this thread?!?

Wrights barn is hit and miss, sometimes they have some good stuff and good prices. Other times they have crap for CRAZY prices (combat for $8)

Game X-change was pretty good the one time I drove out there (being from the Torrington area its a bit of a drive)- Got Super Mario world loose for $6

Made a good haul at the Waterbury goodwill once. Torrington goodwill rarely has anything other than sports games. ( LOTS of xbox and PS2 games lately)

Salvation army in torrington is a long shot. Made a eh genesis purchase there.

For anybody who collects records and old toys. Coins & Collectibles on Water St. In torrington is THE PLACE in CT for it. The owner Jeff Has what seems to be damn near everything. the prices are pretty good, he will negotiate a bit, and he is just a really cool guy to talk to. Call first cause he keeps wicked weird hours.

#30 Blacklight OFFLINE  

Blacklight

Star Raider

• 70 posts

Posted Tue Sep 18, 2012 1:20 PM

Hey ! There's other people from Connecticut! I've never heard of these places and now I'm going to have to check them out!

#31 MAYAman OFFLINE  

MAYAman

Chopper Commander

• 238 posts

Posted Sun Apr 14, 2013 11:25 AM

I'm from CT woot woot!

I use to run the "Totally Video Games" stores and then the "Cutting Edge Entertainment" stores when we changed our name. That was back in 93 and in 95 we changed the name to "Cutting Edge Entertainment"

Those were the days when I worked for cyberactive publishing and wrote for VGA magazine, which became GameWeek, which became IE magazine. Worked for Hal Halpin, creator of the ECA and the IEMA. Dude gets a bad rap but he always cared about gaming and still does.

Went to the first E3 with VGA and I will never forget it. Visited Atari three times, met the Tramiels, Minter, and some of the other guys. I'm still a game player and while no longer in video games as a business, these times are still near and dear to my heart. The late 80s and 90s were the greatest times in video games and of my life. Had so much fun. Wish I could go back to running those stores.

Fortycal88, I don't know if you remember but I ran the Cutting Edge stores, we had one in Westport, right behind the ave with all the artsy fartsy stores. I'll have to stop by your store in Westport. I'm in Greenwich these days so I'm only a few minutes away. Great to see someone carrying on the torch. Eventually I'd like to continue in the video games realm and have a couple of ideas. Maybe we can collaborate.

Edited by MAYAman, Sun Apr 14, 2013 11:32 AM.

#32 GoldenWheels OFFLINE  

GoldenWheels

Stargunner

• 1,446 posts

Posted Mon Jun 24, 2013 9:15 AM

I'll have to check out Wrights Barn and that indoor flea market in NM. I drive by the latter every other weekend.

In Torrington there is a place called "Down by the River", more of a pawn shop with a lot of video games and dvds really.. Now, guy knows exactly what he has so the good stuff has some tough pricing (you ain't beating ebay most likely) but he had a very nice selection of harder to find things, and commons, etc for NES and SNES and some other systems. He seemed pretty willing to deal though if you are buying or trading stuff in.

#33 Gabsters89 OFFLINE  

Gabsters89

Chopper Commander

• 204 posts
  • Klaatu Barada.... Necktie

Posted Fri Aug 30, 2013 5:21 PM

I'd like to give a huge thumbs up to fourtycall88. Retro Games Plus is a fantastic store. Rare titles abound, I picked up some nice Genesis, Saturn, and Dreamcast titles there this week. MVC2, Splatterhouse 3, Sunset Riders, Virtual On, etc. Great stuff there. They probably had 100 2600 titles and 30 5200 titles.

#34 heroes4sale OFFLINE  

heroes4sale

Combat Commando

• 1 posts

Posted Sun Nov 3, 2013 3:11 PM

Hey guys, 

I wanted to introduce myself and let you know about my new store.  It's called Heroes 4 Sale, and we are located in Southbury CT.  We sell everything from The Odyssey, Atari, NES , SNES, Coleco, Intellivision, Genesis and all the way up to upcoming PS4 and XBOX one. Our specialty is retro games, come check us today! 

We post all new trade ins daily on Facebook, you can find us at https://facebook.com/Heroes4SaleStore

#35 Hyperboy OFFLINE  

Hyperboy

River Patroller

• 3,421 posts

Posted Mon Nov 4, 2013 10:18 AM

Hey guys, 
I wanted to introduce myself and let you know about my new store.  It's called Heroes 4 Sale, and we are located in Southbury CT.  We sell everything from The Odyssey, Atari, NES , SNES, Coleco, Intellivision, Genesis and all the way up to upcoming PS4 and XBOX one. Our specialty is retro games, come check us today! 

We post all new trade ins daily on Facebook, you can find us at https://facebook.com/Heroes4SaleStore

Name of the comic book store in the badass 1993 film True Romance.

#36 fadix OFFLINE  

fadix

Space Invader

• 47 posts

Posted Sun Feb 9, 2014 10:30 AM

Any update on the flea markets? I stopped by Maplewood Indoor Flea Market in New Milford on Saturday. Not much in the way of video games at all. A few 2600 games. I picked up a couple joysticks.

#37 Seethransom OFFLINE  

Seethransom

Moonsweeper

• 271 posts

Posted Mon Jul 28, 2014 1:34 PM

New London here, the DS9 of the state.

#38 MAYAman OFFLINE  

MAYAman

Chopper Commander

• 238 posts

Posted Mon Feb 9, 2015 7:09 PM

Nobody old enough to remember Total'y Video Games in Fairfield, Westport, and Danbury?  :(  LOL

#39 GoldenWheels OFFLINE  

GoldenWheels

Stargunner

• 1,446 posts

Posted Mon Mar 16, 2015 1:58 PM

Nobody old enough to remember Total'y Video Games in Fairfield, Westport, and Danbury?   :(  LOL

Where was it Danbury? I remember the FuncoLand that was over by the mall but so far as old games, that was it.

#40 MAYAman OFFLINE  

MAYAman

Chopper Commander

• 238 posts

Posted Sun Jan 10, 2016 8:49 PM

Goldenwheels, it was in the same plaza as the Super Stop and Shop.

#41 MAYAman OFFLINE  

MAYAman

Chopper Commander

• 238 posts

Posted Thu May 11, 2017 1:06 PM

Retro Games Plus owner never visits the forum.

#42 PingvinBlueJeans OFFLINE  

PingvinBlueJeans

River Patroller

• 4,346 posts
  • Eat It

Posted Wed May 24, 2017 12:04 PM

Retro Games Plus owner never visits the forum.

That would be Kris Krohn.  I don't think he really visits any forums much due to lack of time.  He now has three Retro Games Plus locations and is one of the founders and organizers of RetroWorld Expo.  If you want to get a hold of him, I would suggest you call him at one of the stores or message him via Facebook.

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users