IGNORED

Ninja Golf: Who owns the IP?

Cynn

I'd assume BlueSky never owned the IP to begin with.

That's a perfectly valid point.

I'm gonna guess that it's technically owned by Infogrames/Atari though I'm sure they're not rushing to release new versions of the game. It was only ever on the 7800 (XE one was initially planned) and came out at the very end of that system's life.

post-1046-1243772631_thumb.jpg

Edited by DracIsBack

Atari/Inforgrames owns it. They know they own it. When we discussed doing a project for them, it was on their IP holdings list. David Sullivan (Previously Backbone, now OnLive) made the game. It was concocted inside Atari marketing, who gave Blue Sky a list of things they thought were "hot." The list was essentially two items, Golf and Fighting Games. So David mashed the two together. He has a playable XE version in his possession, and very early 2600 version.

While David doesn't seem to have much affection for the game, I sure do. I'd love to see more done with it. It was actually quite fun while being a totally ludicrous concept.

• Like 5

Atari/Inforgrames owns it. They know they own it. When we discussed doing a project for them, it was on their IP holdings list. David Sullivan (Previously Backbone, now OnLive) made the game. It was concocted inside Atari marketing, who gave Blue Sky a list of things they thought were "hot." The list was essentially two items, Golf and Fighting Games. So David mashed the two together. He has a playable XE version in his possession, and very early 2600 version.

While David doesn't seem to have much affection for the game, I sure do. I'd love to see more done with it. It was actually quite fun while being a totally ludicrous concept.

Thanks for the info. I've been waiting on an official response from Infogrames and Interplay and figured I would ask here too since I was idle. Onlive looks interesting as well. Supposed to go to a private showing in LA next week.

Ninja Golf is quite fun. I think today's market would appreciate the quirky humor more than it's launch audience. It's by far my favorite 7800 game.

Edited by Cynn

• 2 weeks later...

I must be an outlier but I never found this game fun. I wanted to like it as I like zany concepts and martial arts games. I thought the graphics were nice too.

But as a game, I found it was the same repetitive thing over and over again and that the novelty wore off fast. At the time I bought it, I also got MIDNIGHT MUTANTS, SCRAPYARD DOG and ALIEN BRIGADE. I found all of those had more variety than NINJA GOLF and kept me more engaged.

Just my two cents.

• Like 5

Are you sure about that name? The programmer was David Dentt. I interviewed him. :)

-John

No I think there were two programmers for Ninja Golf and Sullivan was one of them. I seem to remember David Dentt mentioning him and the XE version (not the 2600 though!). It would great to see either version, I didn't know it was even planned for the 2600.

Tempest

• 3 years later...

No I think there were two programmers for Ninja Golf and Sullivan was one of them. I seem to remember David Dentt mentioning him and the XE version (not the 2600 though!). It would great to see either version, I didn't know it was even planned for the 2600.

Tempest

Bump on this. Tempest: Do you plan on doing Ninja Golf pages for your site, covering the 2600 and XE versions. Always interested to see how they look.

What a waste of potential. Only one game. There should have been a whole franchise. Ninja Golf. Ninja BMX. Ninja Soccer. Ninja Winter Games! Imagine speed skating where you can slash with a sword. Or bobsled where you have to avoid assassins. Or that skiing and gun thing, but it's skiing and dragon fighting!

• Like 4

Ninja Golf would be a lot of fun to bring back in some form. If anyone decides to do something with it, please hit me up when you put together the design team. :]

I still need to get myself a cart of the game, all I see lately are boxed copies and they go for a bit.

What a waste of potential. Only one game. There should have been a whole franchise. Ninja Golf. Ninja BMX. Ninja Soccer. Ninja Winter Games! Imagine speed skating where you can slash with a sword. Or bobsled where you have to avoid assassins. Or that skiing and gun thing, but it's skiing and dragon fighting!

I always thought they missed out on a big 80's Ninja Cash-In, too.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 10 years later...
On 5/31/2009 at 3:20 PM, MikeMika said:

So David mashed the two together. He has a playable XE version in his possession, and very early 2600 version.

Necro bump.  Did anyone ever try and get in touch with David and see if he still has these?

• Like 1