Photo

Ninja Golf: Who owns the IP?

22 replies to this topic

#1 Cynn OFFLINE  

Cynn

Star Raider

• 63 posts

Posted Sun May 31, 2009 12:25 AM

Does anyone know if Interplay got the IP when BlueSky Software went under?

#2 CRV OFFLINE  

CRV

Moonsweeper

• 367 posts

Posted Sun May 31, 2009 2:25 AM

I'd assume BlueSky never owned the IP to begin with.

Edited by CRV, Sun May 31, 2009 2:25 AM.

#3 GroovyBee OFFLINE  

GroovyBee

Games Developer

• 9,821 posts
  • Busy bee!

Posted Sun May 31, 2009 2:44 AM

Just curious as to the reason(s) why you want to know who has got the IP.

#4 Cynn OFFLINE  

Cynn

Star Raider

• Topic Starter
  • 63 posts

Posted Sun May 31, 2009 5:24 AM

Just curious as to the reason(s) why you want to know who has got the IP.

Let's just leave it at curiosity for now.

That's a perfectly valid point.

#5 DracIsBack OFFLINE  

DracIsBack

Quadrunner

• 5,768 posts

Posted Sun May 31, 2009 6:22 AM

That's a perfectly valid point.

I'm gonna guess that it's technically owned by Infogrames/Atari though I'm sure they're not rushing to release new versions of the game. It was only ever on the 7800 (XE one was initially planned) and came out at the very end of that system's life.

Attached Thumbnails

• atarian_issue3_25.jpg

Edited by DracIsBack, Sun May 31, 2009 6:23 AM.

#6 Propane13 OFFLINE  

Propane13

Stargunner

• 1,649 posts

Posted Sun May 31, 2009 12:04 PM

Don't forget the flash version!

http://www.i-mockery...f-flashgame.php

-John

#7 MikeMika OFFLINE  

MikeMika

Chopper Commander

• 109 posts

Posted Sun May 31, 2009 1:20 PM

Atari/Inforgrames owns it. They know they own it. When we discussed doing a project for them, it was on their IP holdings list. David Sullivan (Previously Backbone, now OnLive) made the game. It was concocted inside Atari marketing, who gave Blue Sky a list of things they thought were "hot." The list was essentially two items, Golf and Fighting Games. So David mashed the two together. He has a playable XE version in his possession, and very early 2600 version.

While David doesn't seem to have much affection for the game, I sure do. I'd love to see more done with it. It was actually quite fun while being a totally ludicrous concept.

#8 Propane13 OFFLINE  

Propane13

Stargunner

• 1,649 posts

Posted Sun May 31, 2009 3:48 PM

Are you sure about that name? The programmer was David Dentt. I interviewed him. :)

-John

#9 Cynn OFFLINE  

Cynn

Star Raider

• Topic Starter
  • 63 posts

Posted Sun May 31, 2009 3:52 PM

Atari/Inforgrames owns it. They know they own it. When we discussed doing a project for them, it was on their IP holdings list. David Sullivan (Previously Backbone, now OnLive) made the game. It was concocted inside Atari marketing, who gave Blue Sky a list of things they thought were "hot." The list was essentially two items, Golf and Fighting Games. So David mashed the two together. He has a playable XE version in his possession, and very early 2600 version.

While David doesn't seem to have much affection for the game, I sure do. I'd love to see more done with it. It was actually quite fun while being a totally ludicrous concept.

Thanks for the info. I've been waiting on an official response from Infogrames and Interplay and figured I would ask here too since I was idle. Onlive looks interesting as well. Supposed to go to a private showing in LA next week.

Ninja Golf is quite fun. I think today's market would appreciate the quirky humor more than it's launch audience. It's by far my favorite 7800 game.

Edited by Cynn, Sun May 31, 2009 3:58 PM.

#10 Gregory DG OFFLINE  

Gregory DG

Greg's Game Room on YouTube

• 11,249 posts
  • Visit my YouTubes!

Posted Sun May 31, 2009 4:19 PM

and very early 2600 version.

That would be nice to see!

As for the game itself, Atari ought to make a cell phone version of it. It's got a cult following (as evidenced by the flash game) and could make them a few bucks.

#11 Atari_Falcon OFFLINE  

Atari_Falcon

Moonsweeper

• 266 posts

Posted Tue Jun 9, 2009 7:55 AM

Ninja Golf definately rules ;) A mobile cellphone version would give atari some extra money...

Edited by Atari_Falcon, Tue Jun 9, 2009 7:55 AM.

#12 DracIsBack OFFLINE  

DracIsBack

Quadrunner

• 5,768 posts

Posted Tue Jun 9, 2009 9:00 AM

I must be an outlier but I never found this game fun. I wanted to like it as I like zany concepts and martial arts games. I thought the graphics were nice too.

But as a game, I found it was the same repetitive thing over and over again and that the novelty wore off fast. At the time I bought it, I also got MIDNIGHT MUTANTS, SCRAPYARD DOG and ALIEN BRIGADE. I found all of those had more variety than NINJA GOLF and kept me more engaged.

Just my two cents.

#13 Tempest OFFLINE  

Tempest

Fallen Moderator

• 27,124 posts

Posted Tue Jun 9, 2009 9:16 AM

Are you sure about that name? The programmer was David Dentt. I interviewed him. :)

-John

No I think there were two programmers for Ninja Golf and Sullivan was one of them. I seem to remember David Dentt mentioning him and the XE version (not the 2600 though!). It would great to see either version, I didn't know it was even planned for the 2600.

Tempest

#14 DracIsBack OFFLINE  

DracIsBack

Quadrunner

• 5,768 posts

Posted Fri Jan 25, 2013 11:00 AM

No I think there were two programmers for Ninja Golf and Sullivan was one of them. I seem to remember David Dentt mentioning him and the XE version (not the 2600 though!). It would great to see either version, I didn't know it was even planned for the 2600.

Tempest

Bump on this. Tempest: Do you plan on doing Ninja Golf pages for your site, covering the 2600 and XE versions. Always interested to see how they look.

#15 Gemintronic OFFLINE  

Gemintronic

Jason S. - Lead Developer & CEO

• 9,310 posts

Posted Fri Jan 25, 2013 11:15 AM

No need to get permission. Change the title - keep the gameplay.

* Crouching Caddy: Hidden Driver
* Sudden Death
* Shogun Start
* Pray for Deuce
* The Magic Stimpmeter

#16 desiv OFFLINE  

desiv

Stargunner

• 1,746 posts

Posted Fri Jan 25, 2013 11:18 AM

Mulligan Massacre..
The Deadly Birdie..
Samurai Sandtrap..

#17 Atarifever OFFLINE  

Atarifever

Quadrunner

• 5,101 posts
  • Killer of Robotrons

Posted Fri Jan 25, 2013 12:12 PM

What a waste of potential. Only one game. There should have been a whole franchise. Ninja Golf. Ninja BMX. Ninja Soccer. Ninja Winter Games! Imagine speed skating where you can slash with a sword. Or bobsled where you have to avoid assassins. Or that skiing and gun thing, but it's skiing and dragon fighting!

#18 Tempest OFFLINE  

Tempest

Fallen Moderator

• 27,124 posts

Posted Fri Jan 25, 2013 12:33 PM

Bump on this. Tempest: Do you plan on doing Ninja Golf pages for your site, covering the 2600 and XE versions. Always interested to see how they look.

I would if I had the roms to review. Neither one of them has been made available AFAIK.

#19 driph OFFLINE  

driph

Star Raider

• 53 posts

Posted Sat Jan 26, 2013 3:17 AM

Ninja Golf would be a lot of fun to bring back in some form. If anyone decides to do something with it, please hit me up when you put together the design team. :]

I still need to get myself a cart of the game, all I see lately are boxed copies and they go for a bit.

#20 Rex Dart OFFLINE  

Rex Dart

Quadrunner

• 6,658 posts
  • NO CASH VALUE

Posted Sat Jan 26, 2013 11:26 AM

What a waste of potential. Only one game. There should have been a whole franchise. Ninja Golf. Ninja BMX. Ninja Soccer. Ninja Winter Games! Imagine speed skating where you can slash with a sword. Or bobsled where you have to avoid assassins. Or that skiing and gun thing, but it's skiing and dragon fighting!

I always thought they missed out on a big 80's Ninja Cash-In, too.

#21 Trip_Cannon OFFLINE  

Trip_Cannon

Stargunner

• 1,489 posts
  • Lean mean 80's machine!

Posted Tue Jan 29, 2013 9:50 AM

Posted Image

#22 Atarifever OFFLINE  

Atarifever

Quadrunner

• 5,101 posts
  • Killer of Robotrons

Posted Tue Jan 29, 2013 7:39 PM

Posted Image

Crouching Tiger obviously.

#23 captcapcom OFFLINE  

captcapcom

Chopper Commander

• 113 posts

Posted Thu Feb 7, 2013 12:34 AM

I found a copy of this game recently... and sadly it was a dead cart. No Ninjas for me... :(

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users