IGNORED

A cross between Pitfall and Adventure

Byte Knight

Hi guys,

My second favorite game is Pitfall. I've made a pirate-themed game in which the object is to search the island to find the Cannibal God's skull and bring it back to your ship. To do this, you must collect two map pieces and the shovel to dig it up. Once you have the map pieces, and 'X' will appear on the screen where the skull is buried, and you'll need the shovel to dig it up. Several enemies will make completing your mission difficult including cannibals, poisonous frogs, birds, and snakes. If you can find the sword, you'll at least be able to defend yourself. Like Adventure, there's a bat that likes to steal objects and drop them off on other parts of the island. As with Pitfall, there are deadly pits for you to fall into...

The player can run, jump, crouch, and fence. Hit fire to draw your sword (if you have it) and push up to jump. I'm not sure if these are the best controls, and maybe the fire button should make you jump. Let me know what you think... Lives are on the lower left, health on the lower right, and inventory is at the bottom. You will lose the sword and the skull when you die and these will go to random locations.

Yet to do:

add sound

• add more levels for Random Terrain

add title screen

add player deathscreen

• add enemy death animations

• make backgrounds higher res?

add boss at end - I'm thinking a quad-sized tiki statue that chases you across the island and tries to stomp you

Yuppicide, here are your screenshots:

post-16548-1243829007_thumb.png post-16548-1243828939_thumb.png

post-16548-1243828890_thumb.png post-16548-1243830205_thumb.png

post-16548-1243829082_thumb.png

And here's the game:

pirate7.bin

Suggestions for gameplay and/or name? Any ideas for more island-themed background images? Are there enough enemies? I'm also not sure if I should keep the island 'circular' or have it end on both sides. It would be nice to get rid of the flicker when you draw your sword - both the enemy and sword are player0 and drawn every other frame...

Thanks!

Latest Version 6/23/09

curseofbs13.bin

Edited by Byte Knight
  • Like 3

Looks great so far, you've done a good job of making the best of the standard resolution. The enemies are great too, but I wish there were more, and that they were a little more random. The only thing I don't really like is the ride-the-rail player movement; could there maybe be platforms and/or things to climb up and down?

Hi Byte Knight

A really great work.Looks great,plays well,but i would prefer JUMPING via button.And how about an UNDERWORLD,like in Pitfall????

greetings Walter

Thanks Walter,

Since it's an island, I'm afraid the underworld would flood :)!

Nice start.

I only went through four of five screens. It was a pain to have to go back to start every time I got killed. Will there be checkpoints along the way? Is there a reason you did not use the button to jump?

I originally had it where you would regenerate on the left side of the screen in which you died. However, with only 20 screens (10 on each side of the ship) it seemed to easy to sacrifice one of your lives just to get to the other side. The regeneration is more like Adventure where you go back to your 'home castle'. I'm willing to change it if more people feel the same...

Changing the button to jump will mean that I'll have to use joystick up to draw the sword.

Changing the button to jump will mean that I'll have to use joystick up to draw the sword.

Just to confirm, are you suppose to lose the sword after you kill an anemy? (Seemed to be what happened to me.)

Also, I found a weird glitch one time when I died to the jumping frog. I was in mid jump at the time when the last of my life got sapped and somehow I fell BEHIND the ground as I went back down. When the next life started, I was standing on the ground but it was using the jump sprite. I could move left and right, but pressing up did not let me jump. Seems I was still able to fall into pits however. Bug remained until game over and I started a fresh game. Wasn't able to duplicate it afterwards, and was playing on Stella if that helps.

Just to confirm, are you suppose to lose the sword after you kill an anemy? (Seemed to be what happened to me.)

Also, I found a weird glitch one time when I died to the jumping frog. I was in mid jump at the time when the last of my life got sapped and somehow I fell BEHIND the ground as I went back down. When the next life started, I was standing on the ground but it was using the jump sprite. I could move left and right, but pressing up did not let me jump. Seems I was still able to fall into pits however. Bug remained until game over and I started a fresh game. Wasn't able to duplicate it afterwards, and was playing on Stella if that helps.

No, you lose the sword after you are killed but not after the enemy is killed. Maybe you were on the edge of the screen and the bat stole it...

Thanks for reporting the glitch - I thought I had fixed it but apparently not. I'll get that fixed.

Nice work, though the holes are difficult. It would be nice as said before, if there were 'doors' on the top of some screens (or caves) that take you to a different place. Now you can only walk in circles. Oh, and it would be nice perhaps for some holes to lead to hidden caves or something. Keep it up! :)

I finally got to try this game out.

I loved Pitfall and Adventure too..

Very cool, once in a while something will jog me back to the early gamming days, can you imaging how cool this would have been released back in the 80's. There were so many games I used to play and play, just hoping they had an ending, or something new would happen.. (I was frying my atari system before it was called frying)

I do agree the holes are hard, but I always thought they were hard on Pitfall too..

Nice work, though the holes are difficult. It would be nice as said before, if there were 'doors' on the top of some screens (or caves) that take you to a different place. Now you can only walk in circles. Oh, and it would be nice perhaps for some holes to lead to hidden caves or something. Keep it up! :)

I'm glad my game could be your first post - welcome! I've been toying with the idea of having some vines that you could climb up into the tree tops. Maybe a cave at the end of the island or underground would be possible too. I'd probably have to come up with some more items to collect...

While the game looks stunning and well thought if it comes to screens design, there is something i don't like about physics. Yes, i know Atari 2600 is not a perfect machine to emulate real-life physics, but it feels bit like the main hero in your game weights 10kg max. I would like him to be bit "heavier" and not that touch sensitive, say for a price of smaller holes in the ground.

Does anyone have the same thoughts?