IGNORED

Hybrid Arts' MIDI Track III: MIDI system for 8-bit&keybo

Gunstar

I bought a Demo copy of this MIDI system years ago in the early nineties from a music store that was clearing out all the Atari 8-bit&16-bit hardware&software for MIDI keyboards, namely the Yamaha DX7 and it's cousins. I never did find a keyboard I could afford back then with MIDI output, so I put this product aside and forgot about it. Well, on Wed. I'm getting a 1040ST, and I know it has built-in MIDI ports, and I know I can get a DX7 keyboard or similiar for peanuts in comparison to what they used to cost, now. SO...since I will now have two computer setups capable of connecting to a keyboard, I'm going to hunt down a keyboard, preferably the original DX7. But, while I still have the hardware&software for the 130XE's MIDI track III system, I have LONG since lost the software manual. Which gets to the point; does anyone know WHERE I can obtain the manual or a copy of it either online or off? PLEASE HELP!!! I really want to make use of this system, but since ALL the commands are keyboard driven, instead of mouse&TOS like the ST, I REALLY need this manual in order to use the software...it is just too impossible to figure out all the keyboard command combinations without it! :sad: :( :sad:

Believe it or not, B&C still sells the Midi Trac III. Perhaps Bruce has a loose manual? (Ask nicely and say pretty please)  :music:

Thanks! Maybe I'll do that when I order some stuff in the near future like the PAL Antic chip (so I can play more PAL games) and some other stuff I want...that should sweeten things up instead of just asking out-right for a freebie or something...although if Bruce is reading, it would also encourage me to buy more and more often if you were to even make a xerox copy of the maual for me...hint, hint...

Please guys, if anyone else still knows another source on the net or something, let me know still, then I won't have to ask...me scared... :sad:

I have a ring-bound, double-sided copy of the MIDITrack III manual...one of the fringe benefits of working at Kinko's at the time ;)

If all else fails, I could be persuaded to make a copy of it for you. Try all your other options first, though, my free time is severely limited and it could take awhile to get to it.

The original DX-7 is mono-timbral meaning it can only play one "voice" or "sound"at a time (with 16-note polyphony). IMHO, it would be a much better idea to get a used multi-timbral keyboard. All unless your software includes Hybrid Arts DX-7 voice editing software. Then you would do it just to use it.

Thanks El Destructo, I'll keep searching and ask Bruce when I do order some stuff in a couple weeks, but if that fails, I'll be in touch in a few weeks...no real hurry though, even if you only copied a page or two a day and just eventually finished up, I haven't used this setup since I got it about ten years ago, so a while longer anin't gonna' hurt.

I'll look into getting one of the newer keyboards in the DX line, but I know this 8-bit software for it lets you do mahor editing with a bunch of voices and combining of tracks with no degradation, or so they say, but it wasn't neccesarily made specifically for the DX-7, I believe alomost ANY MIDI compatible keyboard would work...I'm just looking to keep it on the "cheap" and the DX-7 and other models from the '80s fit the wallet.

• 12 years later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 years later...
  • 6 months later...

Wow! This thread is ancient history, way back when I was getting back into the 8-bit, after about a 6-7 year hiatus! Unfortunately, I moved on to other 8-bit interests and put that Miditrack III aside. I moved from Texas to Oklahoma 2 years ago, and left stuff in storage in Texas, which was subsequently robbed and I lost a lot of stuff (thank God I had most of my 8-bit stuff with me, but not the Miditrack III). So at this point, I'd have to buy the whole thing new from Best or B&C anyway. ;) I did buy a Yamaha DX7 back then, to use with my 1040ST, but never got around to using it anyway, and ended up selling it again when I sold that ST, about a decade ago. So I'd have to buy another Midi keyboard again too. Maybe someday...

Edited by Gunstar

I did save these .jpg's for my archives just in case though. Thanks! I also found the software on-line and downloaded it at some point, so if I find another MidiTrack interface in the wild without software and manual, I'll have what I need.

Edited by Gunstar

• 2 weeks later...