IGNORED

Season 2 5200 HSC Round 9 *H.E.R.O.*

darthkur

b_Hero_front.jpg

s_Hero_1.png

There has been a powerful earthquake and it has caused havoc at the mines. Several men have been trapped below and are running out of air. It's up to you to rescue them. Use dynamite to blast through barricading walls or if you run out of explosives use your microlaser. But beware that's time consuming and the workers are running out of oxygen. Avoid poisonous creatures and magma flows that will put your mission of mercy to a swift end.

Emulators are fine as is whatever controller you feel the most comfortable with. Screenshots are great but not mandatory.

Settings: Level 1. (Default)

Contest ends on: 6-22-09 at 1:00am EST.

Final High Scores:

1st: Cafeman - 111,235 +11

2nd: darthkur - 109,905 +10

3rd: atariron82 - 62,260 +9

4th: roadrunner - 62,175 +8

5th: ckirkman - 60,655 +7

6th: LaserHawk - 51,240 +6

7th: DensB68 - 50,285 +5

8th: NoahsMyBro - 47,275 +4

9th: RangerG - 18,560 +3

10th: MIKE5200 - 4,150 +2

Current Standings:

1st: Cafeman (74) (1)

2nd: darthkur (70) (2)

3rd: ckirkman (62) (2)

4th: roadrunner (49)

5th: DensB68 (41)

6th: bohoki (35) (1)

7th: doctorclu (31) (2)

8th: atariron82 (25)

9th: NoahsMyBro (24)

10th: RangerG (21)

11th: LaserHawk (18)

12th: Scihorror (14)

13th: Shannon (13)

14th: LarcenTyler (12)

15th: MIKE5200 (7)

15th: thursday83 (7)

16th: midnight magicman (6)

17th: atari_envy (5)

17th: Mingy Jongo (5)

18th: mightymage (4)

19th: chuckwalla (1)

Numbers in RED are accumulated points. Numbers in BLUE are number of rounds won.

Link to the official manual: H.E.R.O. Manual

Edited by darthkur

Question about level 14, the screen where you descend into a screen with the moving-inwards magma - is there really any way to get past that screen without dying?

Yes. It's simply a matter of timing. You need to inch your way down so you can see it's movement but not far enough to get crushed. Once you see the pattern then go up enough so as to get proper momentum then fly downwards rapidly when you figure the gate is open.

Does the helicopter have analog control? On the emulator , it doesn't seem possible. As soon as I enter the screen, I press up briefly but I usually exit to the previous screen by doing this.

H.E.R.O. handles very well with the stock controller, which is how I'm playing it. Your character does move in an analog fashion unlike the sometimes awkward movements on other versions.

Cafeman, I feel your pain.

My wife's owned the main TV tonight, so rather than using the 5200 I gave H.E.R.O. a shot using an emulator. I tried my Stelladaptor with a CX-40, and a very old Radio Shack gameport-to-USB adaptor with 3 different gamepads. None of the options provided button two on the controller, so I had to use the keyboard for the TNT button. Also, the control was a bit 'jerky'.

I'll try this out on the real 5200 later. For now, my high score is 28,560.

post-1104-1245037682_thumb.png

Tonight was the real console. And for once I'm having a small amount of trouble with the infamous controllers. (I'm usually a staunch defender of them, but I have to admit they are impeding me tonight.)

I find myself frequently running into toxic walls because I'm unable to just nudge my Hero over a small amount.

BUT, I'm beginning the contest early this round, so I still have time to knock some of you down a notch or two. LOOK OUT, top 5, here I come!

:D

Edited by NoahsMyBro

I find myself frequently running into toxic walls because I'm unable to just nudge my Hero over a small amount.

That is a problem for sure. You're best off moving back a ways and then try the approach again. I find flying is a bit more controllable than with other versions though. But moving in small steps can be quite difficult.

Edited by darthkur

Heh. I only today realized that you can destroy the barrier walls with your laser! It takes a while but its cool to watch it slowly disintegrate. Formerly, I thought the game was flawed and if you used all your dynamite by mistake, you could not beat the level. *read the manual, Cafeman!*

Heh. I only today realized that you can destroy the barrier walls with your laser! It takes a while but its cool to watch it slowly disintegrate. Formerly, I thought the game was flawed and if you used all your dynamite by mistake, you could not beat the level. *read the manual, Cafeman!*

It's also present in my description. ;) I slave long and hard over a hot stove to cook up those descriptive little blurbs. :D