Photo

Anyone know how to get at the guts of a Namco TV Arcade game?

8 replies to this topic

#1 Waterborn OFFLINE  

Waterborn

Dragonstomper

• 721 posts

Posted Sun Jun 21, 2009 4:47 PM

Posted Image

Anyone know how to get at the guts of a Namco TV Arcade game like the one above. I picked up one at a yard sale recently and it works fine, but the video output goes black after a few seconds of play. If I turn the unit upside down while it is still on, the video comes back on. Seems like a loose connection somewhere inside. I would like to open it up and see if I can fix it, but cannot figure out for the life of me how to get the damn thing open. Any suggestions (outside of a hammer that is ;) )

#2 RARusk OFFLINE  

RARusk

Dragonstomper

• 657 posts
  • Excuse me, which way to Tokyo?

Posted Sun Jun 21, 2009 8:22 PM

There are four screws on each side hidden by the large stickers depicting the game artwork. Once you remove those then the unit comes apart easy.

#3 Atariboy OFFLINE  

Atariboy

Quadrunner

• 5,158 posts
  • River Raider

Posted Mon Jun 22, 2009 12:11 AM

Try new batteries if you haven't already, that's what my Namco tv units do when they the batteries get low on power.

Edited by Atariboy, Mon Jun 22, 2009 12:11 AM.

#4 awace OFFLINE  

awace

Dragonstomper

• 544 posts

Posted Mon Jun 22, 2009 3:50 AM

check battery compartment connections once you get it open you might need to use two screw drivers one to pry wilst the other one unscrewing stripped door screw standoff witch broke off plastic you might need wire cutter SNIPPERS and start nibbling screw hole out once you get it open just snip off battery wires and use a 6v power dc power pack 5v should work but 6v ideal... reason i snip battery wires incase kid puts batteries in there just snipped off and then they plug in and works this usually requires a cheap brown or white extention cord to allow unit to be in same spot it was when on batteries..

#5 Waterborn OFFLINE  

Waterborn

Dragonstomper

• Topic Starter
  • 721 posts

Posted Mon Jun 22, 2009 9:20 AM

Thanks for the help folks. Power is not the issue, as sound continues when the video cuts out. I will get into it today and let you know what the deal was. My guess is a loose video connection/solder joint.

#6 Video OFFLINE  

Video

Quadrunner

• 7,143 posts

Posted Mon Jun 22, 2009 2:18 PM

Cool, I got one of those and ripped it out for a Atari Joystick...now I just gotta find one of the Pac-man ones with the twisty thing in the stick :D, I'd have a perfect controller then :P

#7 Atariboy OFFLINE  

Atariboy

Quadrunner

• 5,158 posts
  • River Raider

Posted Mon Jun 22, 2009 3:01 PM

Did you actually change the batteries? Like I said, mine do that exactly. Screen goes black & white, blacks out, while audio continues. Changing the batteries was all mine ever needed.

Edit - Nevermind, I just reread your initial post. I never noticed you stating if you turn it upside down while powered up that the video returns.

Edited by Atariboy, Mon Jun 22, 2009 3:02 PM.

#8 FlightSuit OFFLINE  

FlightSuit

Stargunner

• 1,390 posts

Posted Tue Jun 23, 2009 1:50 AM

I bought my mom the one that comes with Ms. Pac Man, Mappy, Xevious, and Pole Position, but I wound up playing it a lot more than she did. I'm very impressed with the job they did on these things, and I certainly think they're worth fixing.

#9 Waterborn OFFLINE  

Waterborn

Dragonstomper

• Topic Starter
  • 721 posts

Posted Tue Jun 23, 2009 5:04 AM

Got it fixed. It was a loose solder joint like I thought. I was amazed with all the hardware that is crammed inside that thing. Kind of reminded me of a clown car. :D

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users