IGNORED

HSC Season 6 Week 43: Snoopy and the Red Baron

Ze_ro

Important Note: This weeks competition is over and no further scores will be accepted.

The dastardly Red Baron has stolen important food supplies from the allies during the war. Hamburgers, ice cream cones, popcorn and other tasty treats have been taken by this evil aviator and sharpshooter. Your task is to help Snoopy shoot down the Red Baron and recover the stolen supplies.

s_SnoopyAndTheRedBaron_2.png

Game Information
  • Game Name: Snoopy and the Red Baron
  • Released By: Atari, 1986
  • Left Difficulty: N/A
  • Right Difficulty: N/A
  • Game Mode: Game 1 (Skill 1 - Medium)
  • Chosen By: DarthCalvin

Post your scores right here in this thread, and I will add them to the list. Remember to play the game with the recommended game mode and difficulty settings as shown above so that your scores will be consistent with everyone elses. The deadline for posting scores is Wednesday July 1st at 1:00 AM (CST).

Current High Scores
  1. 61,020 (Atardi) [+11]
    56,580 (toymailman) [+11]
    55,010 (vjames) [+11]
    50,710 (sloth713) [+11]
  2. 17,050 (SpiceWare) [+10]
  3. 15,090 (aftermac) [+9]
  4. 14,370 (darthkur) [+8]
  5. 12,850 (Wickeycolumbus) [+7]
  6. 9680 (Impaler_26) [+6]
  7. 6340 (Blackjack) [+5]
  8. 1470 (Kurt_Woloch) [+4]

Best Tips
  • None

Challenges
  • None

TwinGalaxies Top 3
  1. 1,829,080 (Todd Rogers)
  2. 125,250 (Chad B Rogers)
  3. 111,110 (Robert T Mruczek)
(Game 1, Difficulty B)
Current Standings

1. toymailman [416]
  2. Deteacher [319]
  3. darthkur [302]
  4. aftermac [263]
  5. Kurt_Woloch [191]
  6. Impaler_26 [167]
  7. DarthCalvin [117]
  8. Mister VCS [111]
  9. SpiceWare [102]
  10. jjd [98]
  11. shadow460 [92]
  12. LarcenTyler [82]
  13. vjames [56]
  14. Hornpipe2 [55]
  15. the 5th ghost [47]
  16. Nathan Strum [46]
  17. Atardi [45]
  18. mcge0053 [44]
  19. sloth713 [38]
  20. Zoyx [35]
  21. doctorclu [34]
  22. SeaGtGruff [30]
  23. IHATETHEBEARS [27]
  24. Jess Ragan [26]
  25. theKLT [26]
  26. homerwannabee [22]
  27. Jred [20]
  28. LaserHawk [20]
  29. Spector [20]
  30. Shannon [19]
  31. chuckwalla [19]
  32. Omegamatrix [19]
  33. roadrunner [18]
  34. ClassicGMR [18]
  35. iangamer [15]
  36. MrBeefy [14]
  37. LoneWolfSeth [12]
  38. Thomas Jentzsch [12]
  39. midnight magicman [11]
  40. vdub_bobby [11]
  41. ed1475 [10]
  42. Random Terrain [10]
  43. maf [9]
  44. TimsterAA [9]
  45. ChrisKoopa [9]
  46. DtY [8]
  47. ballistik [8]
  48. godzillajoe [8]
  49. missioncontrol [8]
  50. LS_Dracon [7]
  51. BSA Starfire's girlfriend [7]
  52. RJ [6]
  53. Wickeycolumbus [5]
  54. mightymage [5]
  55. Dryerlint [5]
  56. lucifershalo [5]
  57. phaxda [5]
  58. Vectorman0 [4]
  59. vintagegamecrazy [4]
  60. mika [3]
  61. rasty [3]
  62. Trinity [2]
  63. joeypsp [2]
  64. rheffera [2]
  65. ratfink [2]
  66. 4Ks [1]
  67. Lendorien [1]
  68. Crazy Climber [1]
  69. Cafeman [1]
  70. Yar76 [1]
  71. Artlover [1]
  72. holgibo [1]

Scoring Points in Snoopy and the Red Baron
  • Red Baron Hit - 10 points
  • Each Treat - 40 points + 50 bonus points at the end of the round
  • Each Red Baron Shot Down - 100 points at the end of the round
  • All Treats Recovered - Bonus Doghouse

Hints and Tips
  • When Snoopy catches a treat, the Red Baron will come after him, so
    quickly fly away.
  • Fly Snoopy down toward the mountains to lure the Red Baron out of the
    clouds, where Snoopy dares not roam.
  • Try to fly behind the Red Baron. He cannot shoot backwards.
The Manual
As always, you really should read the manual. In case you don't have the manual, AtariAge has a typed copy available online. Here are the hints it provides:

--Zero

Does this game ever increase in difficulty?

Nope.

It stays easy the entire time. Also, lucky for us there is no place where it rolls. The manual says that an exclamation point indicates each one million points. We get to play this forever! :)

1 million! Yikes! I timed how fast I could accumulate points. It seems to be ~10,000 points every 15 minutes. 1,000,000 points is 25 hours of play. To get the world record, Todd Rogers played this thing effectivly 2 days. This is only accomplished because there is a natural pause feature when in the "bonus screen" so you can step away to eat, use the bathroom, or sleep for the night. My guess is that he left it running for about a week and played it off and on each day.

My vote for how to handle this week's HSC is to consider the game "rolled" at 50k. That is over an hour of play and is enough time to accumulate 4 gold barons, and 10 extra lives. At this point the game is "beaten". There is nothing gained in playing all the way to 1,000,000 for 25 hours.

post-10944-1245941968_thumb.jpg

The game isn't horrible, but does get boring due to no increase in challenge. The graphics are really nice, and especially colorful on the bonus screen.

To increase the difficulty I think there should be a set amount of ammo or something. If the ammo runs out then a life is lost. Just a thought, but it does need something to keep the difficulty increasing as gameplay progresses. Increasingly aggressive and intelligent barons would be good too.

I've always liked this game, but agree with everyone here about the non-ramping difficulty. Different game versions on the cart don't really seem harder either, just faster. I like popping this cart in the ol' Atari from time to time, but never die. I just eventually shut it off and pop in a different cart.

This would be a great game for someone to hack for difficulty. The game itself can obviously run faster, just maybe somehow let the Red Baron get faster more than Snoopy after a couple of levels. Maybe the entire code is too dependently synched to itself for that, perhaps the reason the game is the way it is in the first place. I dunno.

Anyway, accolades to those with copious amounts of patience and high tolerance for repetitive stress injuries attempting to win this one.

My vote for how to handle this week's HSC is to consider the game "rolled" at 50k.

Agreed. When I looked at the scores on Twin Galaxies, I had hoped the spread between Todd and everyone else meant that there was some difficulty here, but I guess that's not the case. Oh well, I'll have to keep this in mind next time a kids game comes up.

It amazes me that they went to the trouble of tracking millions of points when they must have known how monotonous the game is.

--Zero

My vote for how to handle this week's HSC is to consider the game "rolled" at 50k.

Agreed. When I looked at the scores on Twin Galaxies, I had hoped the spread between Todd and everyone else meant that there was some difficulty here, but I guess that's not the case. Oh well, I'll have to keep this in mind next time a kids game comes up.

It amazes me that they went to the trouble of tracking millions of points when they must have known how monotonous the game is.

--Zero

Thanks Zero! My hand, wrist, thumb, and electric bill thank you too. :D