IGNORED

Colecovision Labels Thread

pboland

Here are a few more. There are two different "Horse Racing" only because it was once shown early on in a catalog but never came out. If they did get around to releasing it, it would most likely have had the later style label. Of course I'm guessing but I figured, why not. I'll let you guys decide which it should be.

post-9874-127444683399_thumb.jpg post-9874-127444684585_thumb.jpg post-9874-127444687613_thumb.jpg

post-9874-127444688603_thumb.jpg post-9874-127444690225_thumb.jpg

Here are a few more. There are two different "Horse Racing" only because it was once shown early on in a catalog but never came out. If they did get around to releasing it, it would most likely have had the later style label. Of course I'm guessing but I figured, why not. I'll let you guys decide which it should be.

post-9874-127444683399_thumb.jpg post-9874-127444684585_thumb.jpg post-9874-127444687613_thumb.jpg

post-9874-127444688603_thumb.jpg post-9874-127444690225_thumb.jpg

I prefer the ColecoVision Presents labels. Now if someone would just release Horse Racing as a homebrew and work out a deal with you to use your label on their cartridge.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

Any chance you might make some more Phil? I love your labels!

I would like to. Time permitting of course. :) I've been working on some OD2 12" x 16" framed video game art right now. I would like to get back to making a few more Colecovision game posters as well. Do you have a list of game labels you would like to see?

What I would really like is some variations of the rare titles, I am planning on selling reproductions in the future.

I ideally would like the arcade side art with background matching the paint color and a cool looking black text of the game title on the label end.

But your close to the originals are cool too. I admire the skill it must take to do them. I could do it, but it would take me 20 hours for 1 label.

What I would really like is some variations of the rare titles, I am planning on selling reproductions in the future.

I ideally would like the arcade side art with background matching the paint color and a cool looking black text of the game title on the label end.

But your close to the originals are cool too. I admire the skill it must take to do them. I could do it, but it would take me 20 hours for 1 label.

Well, I can tell you that each of the above labels took me a minimum of an hour or more to do. Some took a few plus hours depending how much rework I had to do to generate the titles/graphics. For instance, WarGames actually took me a about an hour and a half because I generated the title graphic from scratch and I wanted it just right. I didn't have a scan of that game label. I actually made the box art for WarGames from scratch as well. I only had a small web pic of the box to work off of. The box took me a little longer then the label. ;) Now, some of those posters I've done, that's a different story. Easily 4 + hours for some of them. Anytime I use a scan, the scan needs to be "cleaned up" and that can take time.

I'm game to try some of your variations. I'm sure we could work something out. Let me know.

I really think the side art is the way to go for repro label. That way it is obvious at a glance it is not an original cart.

Galaxian would be a good one if you want to try a side art label.

We can figure out something fair, i won't print and sell without permission

I would like to print some of these and put them on my carts ( replace badly worn labels )

Is there a glossy sticker sheet paper that can be used in a color inkjet, that will produced excellent results?

A cheap but effective way is to print them then use a can of spray lacquer (Satin or gloss, you decide) on them to make them look pretty much like the originals. It works pretty good.

post-30681-0-11976900-1320111765_thumb.jpg

I created a Carnival label as a test let me know what you think.

Nice label, .... here's an improved version of your Carnival label

I also included a Montezuma's Revenge Label I made

Enjoy! :)

It does look a little better I admit. But it would have been nice of you to give me a comment on how to make it look better instead of modifying what I did. I am not upset I just don't understand why you didn't give me some tips on how to make it better before you changed it. ;-)

It does look a little better I admit. But it would have been nice of you to give me a comment on how to make it look better instead of modifying what I did. I am not upset I just don't understand why you didn't give me some tips on how to make it better before you changed it. ;-)

Simply because I'm a french Canadian and explaining these kind of things in english would be really though to me..... sorry :(

Let me see if I can give you a couple tips. Anytime you are wanting to redo a graphic, try to get the best scan you can of that image. Even the best scans will require some editing. Colors on old prints are not always the best, and you can sometime get artifacting. You need to remove the articfacting and use a solid color when you can. That is why on your label the black doesn't exactly match up. If you are using PhotoShop, try using the magic eraser. You might have to adjust the tolerance. The other way to to erase by hand. Sometime that must be done. If you can use text, do it. My labels are not 100% and one of the reasons is, I use standard Arial font for most of the small text. In my version of the Carnival label, I used a scan from the game flyer and converted the title graphic into four different layers. This gave me better control over the finished graphic. I also have the luxury of being the creator of my own templates, so I just used those. Now, I sometimes like to change things up a little. Just for the heck of it. In this case I made the Carnival graphic itself larger as I think it is too small on the original. Again, just so you know, I did not edit the label you posted (nor did I edit retroillucid's label). I recreated this one from my own templates and files. I hope that helps.

post-9874-0-84124200-1320183877_thumb.jpg

Edited by pboland
  • Like 2

Let me see if I can give you a couple tips. Anytime you are wanting to redo a graphic, try to get the best scan you can of that image. Even the best scans will require some editing. Colors on old prints are not always the best, and you can sometime get artifacting. You need to remove the articfacting and use a solid color when you can. That is why on your label the black doesn't exactly match up. If you are using PhotoShop, try using the magic eraser. You might have to adjust the tolerance. The other way to to erase by hand. Sometime that must be done. If you can use text, do it. My labels are not 100% and one of the reasons is, I use standard Arial font for most of the small text. In my version of the Carnival label, I used a scan from the game flyer and converted the title graphic into four different layers. This gave me better control over the finished graphic. I also have the luxury of being the creator of my own templates, so I just used those. Now, I sometimes like to change things up a little. Just for the heck of it. In this case I made the Carnival graphic itself larger as I think it is too small on the original. Again, just so you know, I did not edit the label you posted (nor did I edit retroillucid's label). I recreated this one from my own templates and files. I hope that helps.

Thanks for the information.

Please don't misunderstand me I am not upset with anyone and you can freely do whatever you like with my image. I just threw this together, as a test. to see what you all thought. If you liked it fine if not that is fine too.

I used, probably your template, Gorf posted earlier, and modified it with Paint Shop Pro. I also used the Arial font in bold I think. I know it isn't exact but considering It only took me about 45 minutes to do it I thought it looked pretty good. I could do better.

On a regular computer printer this template is big enough that it would probably look very good on a high quality setting and reducing the image down to the correct size for a CV label. If you want it printed professionally then I agree mine wouldn't be the one to use.

I just thought I would try it. I was just trying to help out.

Thanks again.

Simply because I'm a french Canadian and explaining these kind of things in english would be really though to me..... sorry :(

No problem my friend I was just trying to help out!

You label does look great! I did notice something on your label that isn't quite correct. The copyright and trademark text at the bottom of the label isn't exactly right. The end of the word Coleco in the second paragraph(?) should line up with the right side end of the text above it. That is how it is on the original label that is on my cartridge. I tried to do that with my label to make it look correctly and I had to play with the spacing to make it work out that way. I guess using the Arial font doesn't allow the correct amount of spacing compared to the original font which is very close to Arial but the 9's are different.

I know it is a minor thing but your labels are so good I thought I would try to help you make them look even better.

Just my thoughts, thanks again for your information and help.

You label does look great! I did notice something on your label that isn't quite correct. The copyright and trademark text at the bottom of the label isn't exactly right. The end of the word Coleco in the second paragraph(?) should line up with the right side end of the text above it. That is how it is on the original label that is on my cartridge. I tried to do that with my label to make it look correctly and I had to play with the spacing to make it work out that way. I guess using the Arial font doesn't allow the correct amount of spacing compared to the original font which is very close to Arial but the 9's are different.

I know it is a minor thing but your labels are so good I thought I would try to help you make them look even better.

Your right! That's what happens when I get in a hurry. :P Anyway, you can play with the spacing by using more spaces in the text. You might notice that some of the words in the text on my labels are not always evenly spaced. I do this to line up the text as best as I can.

And since mine isn't correct (kind of a happy accident), it is the perfect opportunity for you to give it another try if you wish. The more people that can make these types of labels the better. Thanks for helping out. I look forward to seeing some of the other labels you make.

Edited by pboland

Your right! That's what happens when I get in a hurry. :P Anyway, you can play with the spacing by using more spaces in the text. You might notice that some of the words in the text on my labels are not always evenly spaced. I do this to line up the text as best as I can.

And since mine isn't correct (kind of a happy accident), it is the perfect opportunity for you to give it another try if you wish. The more people that can make these types of labels the better. Thanks for helping out. I look forward to seeing some of the other labels you make.

What format is the best to save them in? I tend to use Jpegs since they are common but opening/saving them many times causes them to degrade over time. I noticed somewhere that one file was a PNG file, I can work/save them in that format as well. Just let me know which is best.

I have over 90 Coleco cartridges that I could scan so if there are any that you don't have, or people want to see, I would be willing to help out. Let me know.

I am also willing for you, or anyone else, to modify them in anyway you see fit if it will make them better.

I agree that the more people that do this the more it helps us all out, although the ones I have seen from you are pretty awesome.

What format is the best to save them in? I tend to use Jpegs since they are common but opening/saving them many times causes them to degrade over time. I noticed somewhere that one file was a PNG file, I can work/save them in that format as well. Just let me know which is best.

I have over 90 Coleco cartridges that I could scan so if there are any that you don't have, or people want to see, I would be willing to help out. Let me know.

I am also willing for you, or anyone else, to modify them in anyway you see fit if it will make them better.

I agree that the more people that do this the more it helps us all out, although the ones I have seen from you are pretty awesome.

PNG format is lossless and generates small files compared to some other lossless formats such as tiff. PNG seems to be quite common and therefore popular for sharing of graphic images. I'd say you should be safe to use PNG.

Edited by Ikrananka

Looks great Phil!

I have to say, I have been playing Carnival a bit lately and really enjoy it a lot.