First off, congrats to this already spectacular looking port of Donkey Kong to the CV.
Your perfect CV arcade conversions are simply jaw-dropping
Thanks, thanks. I really have a great time porting them.
As for DK Jr. , I would love to see that one included in the package as well.
While it may not be as groundbreaking as DK, I think both definitely belong together.
The gameplay of Jr. is the logical evolution of DK, and its story its smooth continuation.
They are simply natural fits for another "collection".
<sigh>..... Yeah, I know...
Well, as Eduardo himself said, let's just see how he feels about it after DK is completely done.
That's right, lets see what happens after DK is done.
DK Arcade is already a fantastic offering in itself, which Eduardo has already put a lot of hours in, and I don't think it's fair to put more pressure on him to add stuff.
I don't mind the feedback, it's actually a good.
Still, I have to wonder if there's enough room on a 128K MegaCart to contain both games.
Probably yes, but if there isn't, we always have 256K.
And even if there is, cramming both games in the MegaCart's structure (16K fixed /16K bankswitched) may not be as easy as most people think.
That's true, however DKA is a Opgrade module game, and the OM offers MegaRAM, which is infinitely more flexible.
On the plus side, he would probably be able to reuse his patented sprite driver in Dk Jr, if the sorting algorithm is general enough.
That and more. Both games share a lot.
If you ever decide to tranform Donkey Kong Arcade into Donkey Kong Collection, Eduardo, let me know, and I'll gladly put everything else aside and help you with the graphics. But please don't feel pressured. If you don't feel like doing it, then let's all forget about it.
Your help would be very welcome.
You know, I am starting to believe that there is a genuine interest for DKJr. But here is how I see things:
First the cons:
- It would take longer to finish the games, maybe an extra year, I dunno
- That would delay not only the game itself but the OM too
- Both games are already available for the CV, and I know some people would prefer something new. I decided to port DK because I think it's one of the 3 most influential arcade games ever, Pac-Man and Space Invaders being the other two. DKjr, probably not so much.
- Twice the work...
- Twice the chance to get sued...
- Two games for the price of one
- Something like Pixelboy described above, mixing both games in a special mode, would be fairly easy to implement.
- The original CV version isn't... well... that great (there, I said it. Don't hate me)
- "Hideout" stage missing in the original CV version
- When the OM is released you get two arcade ports in day one.
So, I don't know. At this point I prefer to finish DK then think about DKJr after that. In the meantime feel free to post your thoughts...
Now, back on-topic, I was play testing DK and found a problem with the elevator stage. Since Pauline’s platform is placed lower in the CV version, I always get hit by the springs while I am climbing the final ladder. The problem is that springs are still jumping as high as before, but I don’t think I can change that since the spring should be able to jump over Mario without hitting him.