IGNORED

Any fans of Brøderbund's Drol?

Sweet, I just found the ROM for this game and played it for the first time in years. Decades, actually. I'd been lookin' for this game for a while, but couldn't remember the name of it. Then I found my original floppy disk copy, and was reminded of what it's called.

What really impresses me about this game, in addition to the fine graphics and the fact that it's quite aptly named, is that the game play and game mechanics incorporate many familiar elements without being unoriginal or overly derivative.

Also, the fact that you get to fire several projectiles at a time, as opposed to all those games that maddeningly limit you to just having only one bullet at a time on the screen, is very satisfying.

I understand this game also exists for the C64, so I recommend that anybody running an Apple, Atari, or Commodore emulator give it a try.

I understand this game also exists for the C64, so I recommend that anybody running an Apple, Atari, or Commodore emulator give it a try.

I love the game. It's one of my favorites. We played it in the A8 HSC a couple months ago and I had a blast. I was unfamiliar with the Atari version, the one for the C64 being the copy I've had the longest. I still need to try out the original Apple ][ rendition. I also have it for the Sega 3000, which is the only translation of the game on something other than a disk. What's really nice about having it on the Sega "My Card" format is that the long disc access times I'm used to with the Commodore 1541 are pleasingly absent. :D This would be a great game to port to the ColecoVision.

I had it for the Apple II back in the day and it moved pretty damn fast. I can remember having to shoot all those knives and axes down when saving the mother. It was a fun game back in the day, but I haven't played it in years (those plants that popped up were a bitch).

Tempest

Carmel, I'm not sure what you mean by "artifacted." There are colors in the version I've just downloaded. If the original that I used to play on my Atari 800 back in the day was not in color, that's news to me, although I don't clearly recall one way or the other. When I think of it in my mind's eye, blue and white are the dominant hues that come to mind. Are you saying there is a monochrome version of the game?

Carmel, I'm not sure what you mean by "artifacted." There are colors in the version I've just downloaded. If the original that I used to play on my Atari 800 back in the day was not in color, that's news to me, although I don't clearly recall one way or the other. When I think of it in my mind's eye, blue and white are the dominant hues that come to mind. Are you saying there is a monochrome version of the game?

kind of

I used to play the artifacted version of the game back in the day--didn't know of any other back then. It was black and white but Atari's little 'artifacting' trick gave it a couple extra colors. That's the cliffnotes version of artifact color. Pretty much the same explaination my pa gave me back when I was 5, and I've never really felt the need to explore it much deeper.

My monitor tended to like to give me the colors of hot pink and green *lol*

I've never seen an emulator replicate those...

Edited by Reaperman

OK, I just fired up the Atari800MacX emulator and opened Drol. The colors I see on screen are black, white, blue and maroon.

Those are the artifact colors - back in the day on NTSC machines you could place pixels next to each other on certain boundaries and get maroon/blue (sometimes it was more green/blue). On PAL TV's this didnt occur and you got vertical stripes of white lines.

Thank you Carmel, that was most interesting! The color version is obviously easier on the eyes, but that monochrome version brought back fond memories of gaming on computers with green screens! Not that I got to do a lot of that personally, but back in the late 1970s and early 1980s, many of the computers I lusted after came with green screen or monochrome monitors, and when I did get to play games on them, I was too excited to even feel like the lack of color was a drawback.

PS: Not sure what you meant by saying "if you have access to a PC." The ROMs worked just fine under Atari800MacX, which, of course, runs on my Macintosh.

Anyway, thanks again!