IGNORED

TI-99/4A games with 838 cheat available?

S1500

Is there a list, just out of curiosity, of games for the TI that had the Shift + 838 available to use? Some games had different effects. Most had just the level select, others gave you weird fx.

Munch Man: Level select + lives?(I think)

Star Trek: Oodles of torpedoes, shields,etc. Speech says "Entering sector point point 3"

alpiner: level select

Hopper: Level select?

It seems mostly TI-released games have this cheat. There has to be more than that.

• Like 2

I never owned a TI. My friends brother did. He thought it was much better than the C64 I had, not. I found this on wiki:

"Many TI-developed video games, especially those developed by John Phillips, may be forced into "cheat mode" by holding the shift key and pressing 838. Terse messages often appear, which may allow the user to move to a different round of the game. In Munch Man, the top screen and top round includes invisible Hoonoos ("ghosts" in this blatant Pac-Man derivative) which travel several times faster than Munch Man. In Alpiner, the player can select which mountain to climb. 838 (with or without SHIFT) in Star Trek gives a random but high level of torpedoes, phaser power, and warp drive energy."

• Like 1

• 11 months later...

All I know about:

BurgerTime

don't know what, if any, difference it makes; it only says "Code Modifications By John Phillips"

Chisholm Trail

If you press the buttons "*#*" when the game prompts you for the starting level, it will take you to a cheat mode where you can choose the specific "Day" (there are 7 days per level) and number of ships you want. There is a catch however, when you are playing the game in this cheat mode the word "TEST" is displayed on the top left of the screen. Therefore, you would be hard pressed to convince somebody that you are really good at "Chisholm Trail" without them knowing you cheated.

TI Invaders

Note...this doesn't work with all cartridges and is tough to find one that does. Mine does not have this, but I do have a file for one of emulators ("Win994a" or "Classic99") that does.

It allows you to pick what screen you want to start on + change the speed of the enemies

Hopper

you can only pick the round

Munch-man

you can pick the round, screen number, and number of men you want to have; note that you must do this before the monsters on the title screen start moving

Moon Mine

I forget what this does

Star Trek

gives a random but high level of torpedoes, phaser power, and warp drive energy

Alpiner

you can select how many alpiners you want and which mountain to climb; note that you can just push 838 without shift to reach this cheat menu

Geez, I'd love to get ahold of a real TI Invaders cartridge that had the cheat. But using it in the emulator is still very cool.

• Like 2

• 3 years later...

Everybody try their TI Invader carts for the cheat! I wonder how many that had it have been sacrificed for the board?

I just tried both of my TI Invaders carts and neither have the cheat. Is there a specific time to press the SHIFT-838 ?

I tried after starting the game.

**EDIT:

I have a disk, Games Modules 16, That has TI Invaders that has the cheat. :)

Edited by Official Ninja

• 2 years later...

I've never been convinced that the Invaders cheat was ever released directly from TI. Partly because there was never any talk of it in the newsletters or Micropendium and it was a pretty common cartridge. Partly because this code is a John Phillips thing, and I'm pretty sure he wasn't involved with Invaders. I'd like to know more about what ArcadeShopper is selling, though.

It looks like the cheat was put out on the disk release of TI Invaders. Maybe John Phillips was involved in putting it on disk for release back then. Here's a link to a page that says it's on the disk version:

http://shawweb.myzen.co.uk/stephen/timram35.htm

--------------------

From Issue 35

GAMES PLAYERS SPECIAL... with thanks to Robert Brown of the Sydney (Australia) group.

Many games modules have a "cheat" mode, reported before but not for a while, and not such an extensive list...

In general, to enter cheat mode, when you have the title screen displayed, you must hold down SHIFT and press 8 then 3 then 8. There is often a time-out which means you have to do this fairly promptly from the time the title screen appears.
Available with: ALPINER, MUNCHMAN, MUNCHMOBILE, MOONMINE
After pressing the required keys you are able to enter the game at any level you require.

TI released TI Invaders OFFICIALLY on disk, and only the disk version has the cheat mode, allowing you not only to select level but ALSO speed.

STAR TREK will give you unlimited lives after you press the required keys from the title screen.

CHISHOLM TRAIL, instead of starting from the title screen, wait until it asks you for LEVEL 1-9 then quickly make the required key presses.

HOPPER you only need type SHIFT 8

TI RUNNER was only released on disk. when your man is flashing before the game starts, you can press FCTN 5 to skip to next level; or press SHIFT 3 followed by a two digit number to go to any screen ( 6 is typed 06 ).

--------------------------

Here's a pic of the manual http://www.ti99ers.org/timeline/images/phd5058a.jpg

Edited by Toucan
  • Like 2