Photo

Giant Label Variation PHOTO Website. Check it out!

540 replies to this topic

#526 Philflound OFFLINE  

Philflound

River Patroller

• Topic Starter
  • 3,401 posts

Posted Wed Oct 10, 2012 5:18 AM

hey man!
didnt see this on your poleposition box list so thought to send a scan for you, if already have this then disregard:). c 1983 silver box made in usa on back tab flap style profe of purchase on small top flap
rev.a on small top flap shorewood packaging(july 1983) on small bottom flap black/white sticker on front of box that says "arcade hit of the year!" on the front of the box.

I'm putting this as variation box 2 since I didn't have proof of the one I had listed. It's a lot easier for me to just throw this in that slot rather than rename all the others. If I do come across a 1987 Made in China sticker version, I'll put it in then and worry about the renaming. This will be updated in the next 10 minutes.

Phil

#527 Philflound OFFLINE  

Philflound

River Patroller

• Topic Starter
  • 3,401 posts

Posted Wed Oct 10, 2012 11:39 AM

M Network is now complete. If you see any errors, please let me know. I try and look at everything I do, but it is a lot of work that is tiring and sometimes my wife distracts me. Biggest chance of an error is probably the description of the variation, especially going into each specific manual. I do a lot of copy/paste from other listings, and sometimes forget to replace the description with the new item.

Phil

#528 Philflound OFFLINE  

Philflound

River Patroller

• Topic Starter
  • 3,401 posts

Posted Fri Oct 19, 2012 9:41 PM

My computer is back in my house as of this afternoon. Of course Best Buy (now called Worst Buy) found no hardware issue, and my $170 warranty is down the drain as it didn't cover software. So I have many issues with it and the only solution is to restore it from day 1. This being said, I've backed up all my photos, the file for my website with all my work, and lots of other important things. When I'm ready (probably next week), I'll start my computer over and then install all my software once again. I need to find everything first as I don't want to not have my scanner, printer, MS Office 2000 (yes 2000) and other important programs I need. My room is a disaster and finding stuff is never easy. I'm glad I haven't won any auctions lately.

Anyway, I may not be able to work on the site for a few weeks, unless I decide to do it before restoring my computer. That's if I'm ambitious. So be patient. No one has commented on the M Network page yet. I'm hoping my work was satisfactory. Let me know if you have the few missing manuals. Thanks.

Phil

#529 dustygraves. OFFLINE  

dustygraves.

Chopper Commander

• 169 posts

Posted Mon Oct 29, 2012 6:50 PM

hey man:). here is a pressure cooker manual (activision ) that i got in the mail today.pressure cooker outside..jpg pressure cooker manual inside..jpg not see anywhere on your listings.
it is black / white manual,4 pages,11.5x16.5 mm,french/english text,#cdl-6/84. here is scan if you need it:).

#530 Philflound OFFLINE  

Philflound

River Patroller

• Topic Starter
  • 3,401 posts

Posted Thu Nov 1, 2012 9:16 AM

I'll check. I finally got back online after 3 days of no power. Friggin hurricane caused havoc here in NJ.

Phil

#531 dustygraves. OFFLINE  

dustygraves.

Chopper Commander

• 169 posts

Posted Thu Nov 1, 2012 9:27 AM

hey man:) know how it is as been through a few as a kid in tex. in the 60s and 70s.

#532 Philflound OFFLINE  

Philflound

River Patroller

• Topic Starter
  • 3,401 posts

Posted Sat Nov 17, 2012 10:51 AM

Added the manual to the list, but you won't see that on the site for awhile. Thanks. I also got over 35 more boxes in so I'll do some checking against the list to update any information or add new variations. I haven't been thrilled with the way things have been going and now that Obama is still president, our country is going to shit. I'm looking to leave NJ as this state sucks and going to move to a state where I will have my rights fought for by the state against the federal govt. But this isn't really the place to discuss that sort of thing. I'll post any updates I find.

Phil

#533 Schizophretard OFFLINE  

Schizophretard

River Patroller

• 2,780 posts

Posted Sat Nov 17, 2012 1:22 PM

Added the manual to the list, but you won't see that on the site for awhile. Thanks. I also got over 35 more boxes in so I'll do some checking against the list to update any information or add new variations. I haven't been thrilled with the way things have been going and now that Obama is still president, our country is going to shit. I'm looking to leave NJ as this state sucks and going to move to a state where I will have my rights fought for by the state against the federal govt. But this isn't really the place to discuss that sort of thing. I'll post any updates I find.

Phil

Sorry you have to move. Free State Project participants chose New Hampshire. Maybe that state has what you are looking for.

#534 Philflound OFFLINE  

Philflound

River Patroller

• Topic Starter
  • 3,401 posts

Posted Mon Nov 19, 2012 8:42 PM

If I move, it would be somewhere in the mid-west. The northeast is where I'm trying to get away from.

On a separate note, I'm modifying pages of the boxes that I'm adding info to, and updating the "Aopak" to "Adpak" corrections as much as I can. I think there were somewhere around 80 or so replacements, though some of the boxes have more than one reference to "Aopak", so I know there won't be 80 web pages that need updating. When I get time, I'll fix the ones that I'm not updating with my new 35+ box acquisitions. I'll hopefully have some time this weekend. Though I'm trying to rush getting Christmas items in my ebay and ecrater stores asap. Stuff I bought on clearance last year that I put in storage and never put online. Need to get some sales going.

Phil

#535 Philflound OFFLINE  

Philflound

River Patroller

• Topic Starter
  • 3,401 posts

Posted Sun Feb 10, 2013 10:31 PM

Well the Christmas season kept me rather busy and I'm still finding good deals on some items so I'm still busy. I finally got around to replacing some sold 2600 games and since I was scanning, decided to add a new variation. I found a NIght Driver with a tab flap. So this has been added to the Night Driver box page. I also modified the General Atari Variations page at the end of the box section. For those who may be confused as to my categorizing the flap styles, I finally did some scans and show exactly what I'm talking about.

http://www.videogame...eneralAtari.htm

Besides describing the 3 flap styles at the bottom of the page, I put a more detailed description in my header paragraph under the box section. I described in further detail how I am deciding which boxes were printed in what order. Since coming up with the idea of looking at the tiny flaps for printer and print date, it has become much easier on putting boxes in chronological release. The only big problem I have is with the glued flaps on the bottom. Unless I unglue the boxes, I can't for the most part find out who the printer is and what date the box was printed. Sometimes I can use a pen cap and peek at the tiny flap, but this isn't always that easy. And of course, I need the boxes on hand to actually see dates and printers.

Anyway, thanks to the suggestion of I believe it was Schizo, I decided to begin to order the box listings by release order. I've done Night Driver already. One thing I cannot totally determine is the multi-language box release dates in most cases. First, I do not have too many. Second, I don't remember if they even have printers and printing dates on the tiny flaps. So I may keep these towards the end of the listings unless I can definitely verify when they were released.

As for anyone who has given me new or updated scans, I haven't forgotten to update and will try to do so real soon. I'm still trying to catch up on listings with Ebay and my computer work room is a total mess. But I will get to them eventually. Any questions, comments, suggestions, or additions, just let me know.

Phil

Edited by Philflound, Sun Feb 10, 2013 10:33 PM.

#536 Philflound OFFLINE  

Philflound

River Patroller

• Topic Starter
  • 3,401 posts

Posted Sat Apr 13, 2013 8:22 PM

I've been on hiatus lately. Had kidney stone surgery last month. Been busy with Ebay and taxes lately. Got hired teaching HS geometry for the rest of the school year, so now I'm really busy. I pulled the manuals I had for Atari games lettered A up to Dark Chambers I think. I was going to begin adding all the scans I had for manuals. I hope to do this in the next few weeks, but have to play catch up on several purchases I made for ebay sales including a nice batch of 1st print Classics Comics.

Anyway, Al moved the site, so I redirected it just now. If you cannot link to www.videogamevariations.com, then try .net or .info since I own those too and they point to the same place.

Phil

#537 Philflound OFFLINE  

Philflound

River Patroller

• Topic Starter
  • 3,401 posts

Posted Sat Jun 15, 2013 8:37 PM

Back with new updates. Found a Frogger box variation, though PB isn't up yet on the site. I may try and get them on soon. Also, am in the process of adding all the printers on the flaps with dates. I decided to add the Activision printers/dates too, so you'll see those up soon too. Didn't get to the manual variations just yet, but will also be moving on to them real soon. I've been teaching full time at a subs pay though, and school is up the 24th, so I'll have a good 2 months to work on things. Finally someone contacted me with a 1984 box version of Millipede. Just need the front scan and I'll get that one up too.

Phil

#538 Philflound OFFLINE  

Philflound

River Patroller

• Topic Starter
  • 3,401 posts

Posted Thu Jun 20, 2013 10:54 AM

I was in a rush last night, so I didn't get to post. I began the manuals for the Atari made games. This is going to take a long time, maybe the whole summer, to scan whatever I can't find or have been given already. I skipped the 32 in 1 because I have to think about the format I want to use. I may just leave it as 2 giant pages.

Format for the manuals are going to be 1 page per scan, even if pictures or words cut off. Each scan will be 600 wide like the boxes, to allow clear readability. I had begun a couple of the Activision, but decided to go with Atari first. Also, any new companies I add, which now would be after M Network I believe, will include manuals. I may as well be consistant from now on with all info. The only Atari manuals online at the moment is 3D Tic Tac Toe and Adventure. Just scanning 2 of the 3 manuals and cropping and labeling, then putting them in my program before uploading took well over an hour to do. So this is no menial task. I hope you have patience.

The way the manual page is set up, you click on the manuals link for the game. It then will bring you to a page listing all the manuals. I may just link to the manual itself if there is only 1 known to exist. Though for 3D TTT, I gave the intermediate page. Once you're on the manual page for the game, you'll see the list of manuals, each with a link, which is the title, Manual A, Manual B, etc. After the link, you'll denote a * after it. If there is no * and the word MANUAL B or whichever one you want to click is not linked, it means I do not have the scans for that particular variation. The reason I don't have the scan is either 1.)Atari Guide has part of the manual, so I won't put up the manual unless it's complete, or 2.) I had the manual in one of my spare games and sold it before deciding to go ahead and do a manual section for the photo variation website. So someone else has that particular version.

Since many manuals have 12 pages or more, it takes someone willing to scan everything to have them online to view. I'm willing to do what I own myself, from my personal collection and the hundreds of duplicates I've acquired over the years.

So if you have a manual I don't have a link for, please scan it in its entirety for me. That goes for blank pages. I know Atari Guide has some manual scans, but he doesn't always have all the pages. I want every page, so there is a comparison for the collectors to look at. The only way to discover new variations is to compare them side by side with the known ones, and that is for every page.

If you have any new discoveries, I'd appreciate it if you could scan every page and send them to me. Also, give me all of the info I'd need that you see online. Product number, color, size, Rev, etc. Since I decided to add the manuals to the giant variation list, I could only work off of what I've seen online or what I've held in my hands. There are games listed with no manual examples so far, though they do exist, and there are games listed that probably should have more manuals than what is shown.

Basketball has me confused, probably the most next to Indy 500. Basketball black manual has no Rev, then jumps to Rev 5. Was there a 1-4? I've yet to find any to date. Indy 500 is similar, going from no Rev, Rev 1, then also jumps to Rev 5. Is there a 2-4? I'm assuming these things were made. Though if they don't exist, I can only figure they were revised with the new revision number, say Rev 2, then before printing, were revised again, to Rev 3, then again before printing, revised again, etc.

I also decided to put the overlays with the manuals, along with any inserts. This decision is based on the fact that I put the inserts in the manual section and the overlays right under the manuals. Since so few games had overlays, it made no sense to make an overlay column. If and when I ever get to Intellivision, there is an overlay column because most games were made with them. Inserts will include Asteroids, ET, and Raiders of the Lost Ark, which are the ones that come to mind.

As for the comic books, I'll probably also include them with the game they were released with under the manual section. I think there were a total of 10 comics if memory serves me correctly. The 5 Atari Force, Centipede, Yars, and the 3 Swordquest.

So have patience with the section. I have the summer off, so I'll try and get as much done as possible, maybe 1-3 titles per day. And if you can help in any way, I'd appreciate it.

Phil

Edited by Philflound, Thu Jun 20, 2013 10:57 AM.

#539 Philflound OFFLINE  

Philflound

River Patroller

• Topic Starter
  • 3,401 posts

Posted Fri Jul 5, 2013 11:54 PM

Just got in a batch of boxed games. And.... I discovered new Home Run and Basketball box variations. I'll get these up hopefully by the end of the weekend. I always love getting new stuff to scrutinize over. I also discovered another version of Video Pinball. If you look at the top of the page, I mention that version a has a line behind the pinballs. Well, I discovered a copy of version b with the same variation. I think I'm going to scan these as variations now, but will have to dig through my carts to find version a with the line. My loose carts are buried, so hopefully one of my boxed copies has it. I'll try and also get that up by the end of the weekend. I went through about 1/2 the boxes, so I'll post anything else I find.

Phil

#540 Philflound OFFLINE  

Philflound

River Patroller

• Topic Starter
  • 3,401 posts

Posted Sat Jul 6, 2013 10:54 AM

The Basketball has just been uploaded. The new variation with this is the "limited ninety day warranty" version. I put this as one of the last releases, but before the versions that have the 1981 copyright outside the white box. For those who follow which cartridge version, it was the 1978 picture label with sliding protector inside the box. When going through the variations of the box order, I assumed the limited ninety day version was before the 1981 version. At least from what I see it seems that way. But this box was made way later, in 11/83. Not sure if it's because it's a tab style. There aren't too many tab styles out there. I'm going to note this in the general explanation as the Night Driver tab style I have also has 11/83. I'm thinking any tab "ninety day" box styles were made very late before the grey boxes were released. I'm always on the lookout. Any help would be appreciated.

Phil

BTW, so I don't have to post another, the Home Run variation is a glued style box, red "Game Program" on front, with white warranty box on back with the copyright inside. The one I got from Atarimania that has the same back is a standard style box with yellow "Game Program" on front. I'll try and get this up within an hour.

#541 Philflound OFFLINE  

Philflound

River Patroller

• Topic Starter
  • 3,401 posts

Posted Fri Jul 12, 2013 11:57 PM

Added a variation for Space Attack by M Network. Found one with the sticker on the back where they changed the "Made in". There have been a few of the titles with this and I expect to find more over time. I'm getting another 20+ boxed games, so hopefully I'll find more variations. Have been fine tuning the printers on the tiny flaps and adding them as I get them. I'm going to soon rearrange the printing order on the Atari game boxes. From what I've seen, the variation with the "limited ninety day warranty" on back seems to have been the last regular release for the game based on the printer dates. So I'll soon rearrange titles to try and be in as accurate of release order as possible. I'll only try and rearrange titles that I've gotten the info on and can definitely prove the release order.

Phil

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users