Photo

Giant Label Variation PHOTO Website. Check it out!

584 replies to this topic

#576 Philflound OFFLINE  

Philflound

River Patroller

• Topic Starter
  • 3,545 posts

Posted Mon May 18, 2015 8:01 PM

Having pics next to each other is not feasible with the majority of variations as some games have too many. For instance, there are 28 variations of Combat cart. Though some may have the same photo, the majority will have differences, and you won't be able to fit probably more than 3-4 photos next to each other. When I first decided to do a photo site, I was supposed to work with someone and they never came through, so I decided to venture on my own.

Decided to ask the general populace. Does anyone have an idea on when the original gatefold boxes would have been printed and possibly who the printer was? Since I've yet to see any of them marked as such, was wondering if anyone had any inside knowledge. Since the system was released in 9/77, I can assume the boxes were printed at least 2 months prior for the games. Can anyone confirm this?

Phil

Edited by Philflound, Mon May 18, 2015 8:46 PM.

#577 Philflound OFFLINE  

Philflound

River Patroller

• Topic Starter
  • 3,545 posts

Posted Tue May 19, 2015 5:58 PM

Finished doing all the research I have available to me on the printer dates. Here is a breakdown of what I know and is probably relatively accurate for all the colored boxes from the initial release.

Gatefold boxes have no dates on them.

"Game Program" boxes either have no date, or when they do are dated from June, 1978 to August, 1978.

(there is a gap here, no September or October 1978 boxes were printed that I could find so far)

The colored warranty box dates from November, 1978 to January, 1982.

The white colored warranty with copyright outside dates from March, 1981 to May, 1981.

The white colored warranty with copyright inside dates from May, 1981 to October, 1981.

The "ninety day warranty" dates from October, 1981 to June, 1984.

The boxes that didn't fit into any of these categories like Berzerk and Pac-Man date from January, 1982 to June, 1982. Though there is a Pac-Man variation dating August, 1983.

I'll be working on the silver, grey, red boxes soon enough. I didn't have enough info on the children's titles. I also won't have enough info on the foreign boxes. 

I was very thorough with printers too, so each of the sections above have which printers did those box variations. Check out the page on the general Atari variations to see all the info. As I acquire more boxes or get to sort through my own personal collection, some of the dates may change.

Phil

Edited by Philflound, Tue May 19, 2015 5:59 PM.

#578 Andre81 OFFLINE  

Andre81

Dragonstomper

• 973 posts

Posted Wed May 20, 2015 4:52 AM

The white colored warranty with copyright outside dates from March, 1981 to May, 1981.

The white colored warranty with copyright inside dates from May, 1981 to October, 1981.

This description is really ambiguous. In my sheet I have them as "White box ($40)" and "White box (no prices)"

Gatefold

Game Program

Transparent warranty box ($36)

White warranty box ($40)

White warranty box (No prices)

No warranty box / ninety day warranty

#579 Philflound OFFLINE  

Philflound

River Patroller

• Topic Starter
  • 3,545 posts

Posted Wed May 20, 2015 7:35 PM

Not sure what you mean by white box $40. The boxes have no prices. The now earlier release from March to May 1981 has ©1981 below the warranty box, printed on the color portion of the box. The copyright inside the white warranty box is inside the warranty box itself on the back and is right above the bottom line.

For example, Canyon Bomber has the white warranty box with the copyright 1978 date inside at the bottom. This is variation 1. There is no version with 1981 outside for Canyon Bomber.

http://www.videogame...bomberboxes.htm

Football variation box 4 on the other hand has the 1981 outside the warranty box at the bottom back. Football does not have a version with copyright inside. At least I haven't found one yet.

http://www.videogame...tball_boxes.htm

Hope this helps explain what I mean.

Phil

#580 Andre81 OFFLINE  

Andre81

Dragonstomper

• 973 posts

Posted Thu May 21, 2015 7:32 AM

Not sure what you mean by white box $40. The boxes have no prices

They have the repair charges within the warranty box.

Attached Thumbnails

• repair_charges.jpg

#581 Philflound OFFLINE  

Philflound

River Patroller

• Topic Starter
  • 3,545 posts

Posted Thu May 21, 2015 8:39 AM

Ahhh. When I decided to take over the list, this was the way the warranty boxes were described. I never thought of describing them by either having prices or not having prices. At least we understand one another now. I revised the description to now include mention of the $36 system repair charge on the color warranty box, $40 repair charge on the white box with © outside and no charge on white box with date on inside. Being more specific will help people understand better and not be confused.

Phil

Edited by Philflound, Thu May 21, 2015 8:54 AM.

#582 Andre81 OFFLINE  

Andre81

Dragonstomper

• 973 posts

Posted Thu May 21, 2015 10:00 AM

The repair charges also make the order of the boxes more obvious. It was $36 first, then increased to $40 and then they decided to remove the repair charges from the box.

The copyright inside or outside of the box is just a detail, the prices are the reason they've modified the box.

#583 Philflound OFFLINE  

Philflound

River Patroller

• Topic Starter
  • 3,545 posts

Posted Thu May 21, 2015 9:18 PM

Ok, did a pretty decent job adding all printers and printing dates to whatever I could. Many multi-foreign language boxes, grey boxes, and red boxes pretty much aren't covered. Also, the silver boxes will need to be updated. If I could ever get my hands on some of the rarer boxes, at least opened, then more info can be input. I'm going to see if I can continue the site instead of updating things. My first "trial" page will be the real test. I'll keep you posted. I will probably work on adding one of the Parker Brothers games I didn't complete. Probably with very few variations so I can see how the page looks without doing much work.

Phil

#584 Philflound OFFLINE  

Philflound

River Patroller

• Topic Starter
  • 3,545 posts

Posted Mon May 25, 2015 6:48 PM

Ok, as promised, I tried out one of the pages in my new format with Web Expressions. I could not link through the navigation as it seems not to be supported. So where the navigation link at the top is, I left it blank. Therefore, there is a space at the top of the page. I physically just typed the name of the page at the top in bold large letters. I hardlinked the [Home] and [Up] links. 

It seemed to work overall. The only shortcoming is that I need to modify each individual listing as there are some weird breaks or beginning of a new line, though I didn't type anything in for that format. So the page looks nice (I hope to everyone) as I modified everything. This problem takes some time to do as I want it to look perfectly. Anyway, let me know if there are any issues with what you see. I'm using Chrome as my browser.

Thanks

Phil

Spidey is the 1st page in this endeavor. I'll try and finish PB carts by the end of the week.

http://www.videogame...cartridges.html

#585 AtariBuff ONLINE  

AtariBuff

Dragonstomper

• 868 posts

Posted Tue May 26, 2015 1:27 AM

Thanks for all your hard work and dedication, Philflound  :thumbsup:

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users