IGNORED

St keyboard problems?

Gunstar

Will it screw up the keyboard and do weird things if you leave a joystick of anykind or specifically a 7800(both buttons)/2600/8-bit compatible Deluxe from Best electronics, the ones that are similar to the original prolines. My keyboard has been acting up, entering random/multiple keys with each keypress. I took the ST apart to see if anything was shorting out the keyboard connection, but when I plugged it back in on the motherboard, it worked fine...until I put it back together and had the same problem (after re-inserting the mouse into port 0 and the joystick into port 1). That's the only thing left I can think of besides my keyboard being on the blink.

Also, why won't genesis controllers work? is it a similiar problem? the 'B' button works, but not the directional (D). I'm use to using the genesis controller on my 130XE and 2600/7800 and I used it on my C64 too. The mice are interchangable. This particular genesis controller is NOT modified to work with more than one button on the 7800 in 7800 mode.

It's been known since almost when the ST came out that 7800 joysticks don't work well with the ST series computers. No one has been able to explain it though. I'd like to know why myself!

So it's best just to stick with joysticks made for the Atari 2600.

Well, at least it's only 7800 sticks, I can use a 2600 stick. Unfortunately this means my custom arcade stick won't work either, because it's made to work with the 7800 (and Jag/2600/8-bit,etc.). This is probably why the genesis controller won't work too, apparently the ST can only handle one button controllers...

But this was definately the cause of my keyboard problems, because as soon as I disconnected the 7800 "Best" stick and rebooted the system, the keyboard works fine. Unfortunately, now that I think about it, I don't have any regular 2600 sticks, I i gave away my last one with the C64 I sold. Guess I'll have to keep an eye out for a good 2600 compatible stick...

I doubt that as genesis controllers, while compatible with Atari's 8-bit (only "b" button and "d" pad!)systems and and the 2600 and 7800 in 2600 mode, genesis controllers are not compatible with the ST, just like 7800 controller are not compatible with the st...but, Any Commodore mouse/joystick will work on the Atari machine and vice versa...but you might try and see, maybe a genesis mouse will work...I'm only postive that the genesis controller won't work on the ST because that's the first controller I attempted to use and the "b" button worked, but not the "D" pad or any other button, plus it made the keyboard go hay-wire like the 7800 stick did to it. Genesis controllers ARE compatible with the c64/c128, I have no idea if they work with the Amiga, but i do know Atari joysticks and mice are compatible with the Amiga and vice versa (as well as the 8-bits-C64/128 and 800/XL/XE) I think it may only be that genesis&7800 sticks are not compatible with the ST only, and everything else is interchangable.

The "MICE" I was refering to as being interchangable are strictly those made for the Commodore and Atari 8/16-bit computer lines...I am unsure with the 32-bit systems, as I know the Falcon has ports like the Jaguar (although it may have the older ports of the ST too, I don't know)

Best Electronics used to sell a "BEST E. mouse" which is nice and more comfortable, i got it for my 130xe origianally, but am now using it on my ST. I'm using the ST mouse on the 130XE (this was done because of cord length-the ST mouse cord is shorter and works better with the side ports on my XE, while the longer "BEST mouse" cord works better with the ports under the ST)