IGNORED

Copying BASIC program from Cassette to disk

Allan

I have a number of rare programs on cassette that I want to copy to disk (ultimately to post here). Does anybody have a good way or good program to do this? I just need help getting it to disk (not onto the Net.)

Thanks,

Allan

They're just Basic - so why not CLOAD then SAVE "D:Filename" ?

DOS copy commands are generally no good unless they're the long gap types that LIST "C" and SAVE "C" create.

I've got a copy program that should handle it... not sure, been probably 20 years since I've done that kind of stuff.

But even then, it's not automated so you still have to read data, then save it specifying a filename in a seperate step.

Thanks guys. Luckily they are just un-protected BASIC programs So I can just save them to disk. I got the first one saved. The second one is loading know. Cross your fingers. These are three APX programs.

http://www.atariarchives.org/APX/showinfo.php?cat=20122

http://www.atarimania.com/detail_soft.php?...ERSION_ID=12540

PS. Got the second one saved to disk.

Allan

Please do send them to Atarimania or post them here. I don't have them :-/

Of course.

I have a problem though. One of the programs loads and runs but then loads data off the cassette. How the heck do I load that data to the drive?

Allan

When you run the CLOADed program, break and see what it does ... If it opens file and GET's data, do make a small program that opens a disk file too and PUT's to disk what the tape GET's ... Then change the BASIC program to open "D:PROGNAME.DAT" or something. I could do it for you, but I don't have the tape ... You could send me the first program and I can see if I can make the program for you.

Good luck in any case

If it's a short gap file, you'll need a proper copy utility to get it.

Also, that would likely mean the Basic program has an assembly routine that reads the data.

The important thing is just copying the data. Once you get it uploaded, it would be easy for someone to deal with it.

OK. Here is what I can get so far. Like I said one of the programs wants to read more data from the cassette and I'm not sure how to copy that. The same program seems to have some simple protection that makes the computer crash if you try to list it after you run it. Any help would be appreciated.

Allan

APX10122.atr.zip

FILECOPY.zip

There's my Basic file and cart copy program.

Run it on real machine, position the tape where it would begin to read the data file.

Use Load option, then Save it to a disk file on the PC with the help of APE.

Transfer to PC. Run the program again on the emulator. Load in the data file you saved before.

Next, you'll want to save it to a Cassette image. So, with both the Basic program and the data file on the computer, you should then be able to load the program file from disk, and run it and hopefully have it read it's data from the CAS image (remember to rewind it in the emulator).

It's a start... if you can get it running OK from there, then it should be easy to get the entire thing to disk.

It seems that damaging the listing after running the program is result of trying to load data in place of DOS/BASIC variable area. As this program originally loads form tape, there is no DOS present in memory.

I bet it's something for Fandal.

No? ;)

Well,

I wanted to write about the possibility, that a (tape) Basic program may overwrite DOS yesterday, But then I deleted this post, thinking that none of the APX programs will do that... and now I see, my first thought was right (and I wish it were not)...

Once upon a time there was an old program in Antic or Analog magazine, called "Sequential Boot" (or was it Sequential DOS?). It creates a short bootloader routine on disk that loads files (especially Atari Basic files) with CLOAD or RUN"C:" from disk. Yes, you type in CLOAD and the special bootloader will load this Basic file from disk ! Alas, the handling of this tool was/is awkward and I guess (allthough I have tested it and it works), sooner or later you want an Autorun option for the APX basic program. Thus, a hacker or cracker will be needed to change/patch the program...

Anyways, I have uploaded the Seq.boot program and some tape tools for you, maybe they are usefull in some way...

-Andreas Koch.

There seems to be 3 cassette files that the program reads...

1. Stuff that goes on Page 6... total file size likely to be <262 bytes.

2. 966 byte file - some screen data.

3. 1030 byte file - font data.

The program also uses absolute addresses for where it puts some stuff, so that would probably need changing to accomodate DOS.

@Allan:

Maybe try to save those data in three files separately.

Edit: Hmm... it seems that the "data" file you have added consist of "partial" .BAS file (i've chcecked it through Total Commander's "Compare by content" tool) and no byte of that "part" isn't different. Maybe this file is not really needed (some weird protection?) or you have copied the program once more instead of those data.

Edited by miker

@Allan:

Maybe try to save those data in three files separately.

Edit: Hmm... it seems that the "data" file you have added consist of "partial" .BAS file (i've chcecked it through Total Commander's "Compare by content" tool) and no byte of that "part" isn't different. Maybe this file is not really needed (some weird protection?) or you have copied the program once more instead of those data.

To part one. I'm not sure how I would know where the second part starts.

To part two, I loaded the main program from cassette, then ran the program which then at some point start the tape again to load the data. I don't know how I could have reloaded part of the main program again by doing that.

I will not have my 8-bit set up for a couple of days. When I get it back up I will try it again.

Allan