IGNORED

-=< OVGE 2k9 >=-

-^CrossBow^-

Many have sent e-mail asking and everyone has been waiting most patient. So it is my pleasure to finally announce...

Oklahoma Video Game Exhibition 2009!

Tulsa, OK – August 1, 2009– Classic video games will once again rise from history as mid-America's one and only OVGE returns for the sixth Oklahoma Video Game Exhibition.

On October 24, 2009 video game collectors and enthusiasts from Oklahoma, Arkansas, Kansas, Missouri, and even further will come together at the Spirit Bank Event Center in Tulsa to celebrate the history of the video gaming industry. “Before the OVGE, people from the surrounding states had to travel across the country for an event such as this,” said Jesse Hardesty, founder and organizer of the OVGE. Doors will open to the public at 9:00 a.m. and close at 5:00 p.m. Cost of admission for ages eight and above will be $5 dollars at the door.

In 1972, the video game industry began with the release of the Odyssey by Magnavox, the first multi-video game system for the home. However, in the early ‘80s an overflow of games and poor sales forced many companies to close resulting in drastic drops in prices for their merchandise. Companies still in business could not compete with the low pricing and lost money from their over stocked inventory causing the great crash of the video game industry in 1983. Since the rebirth of the industry in 1985, with the introduction of the Nintendo Entertainment System, video game sales have flourished.

Still, many video game players are returning to classic video games. With the advanced graphics of today’s video games, why are so many people fascinated with the classics? “Even though modern game systems have amazing graphics and sound, the most important aspect of any video game is that it actually be fun to play. Because classic game systems, like the Atari 2600, had very simple graphics, game designers had to focus on the game-play. Those same games that were fun in the late ‘70s and early ‘80s are still just as much fun today,” stated Albert Yarusso, modern video game programmer and co-founder of AtariAge.com.

"With video gaming being today’s main form of home entertainment, the history behind it should not be forgotten,” said Hardesty. “The Oklahoma Video Game Exhibition is providing the youth and their parents a chance to visit and interact with that past.” Numerous video game systems, computers, and arcade machines, will be set up for the public to play. Vendors and exhibitors will have memorabilia on display with many items for purchase.

The OVGE is organized by a group of gaming enthusiasts who want to share their hobby and passion for classic and modern video games with the public.

This is our largest venue to date and there is plenty of space available, so contact us now to reserve your space at the show!

Look to the website for the latest information as we get it! See you in October!

I'll definately be there, MMF. I won't be showing this year, due to the fact that the SPEC is all the way across town from where I live, and I have a small car. So, that would equal LOTS of trips back and forth. Meh.

But, I'll be there for sure.

Greg, I'm sorry the new venue is further out. I really did want to keep the event at the Marriott as I have since 2004. But the Marriott changed hands once again and their new rules allow for booking much further out than before. Used to I couldn't book the event till 4 months out! Now, the Marriott has had bookings on the space through Christmas since as far back as the beginning of May!

In addition, the Marriott did NOT contact me to find out what my plans might be for a 2009 event as they have in the past. Again, the changing of the guard likely means the OVGE doesn't exist in their system again.

Spirit Bank Event Center is a tad further out than the Marriott and barely qualifies as being part of Tulsa. But it was the best I could find that met the space we need at a price I could sorta live with. This year's event will cost more than any previous to it to host and that is hard to make back. But I'm still really looking forward to this years event and excited to see what will be displayed!

• 2 weeks later...

I'm definitely there - missing last year's show (the first OVGE I've ever not shown up for!) was one of my biggest disappointments of the past couple of years, and there is no way I'm missing this year's. I'll also have some new goodies with me for sale...but you can read more about that in the publications forum. ;) And I'm going to have heaps of games up for grabs too (a goodly chunk of my collection, truth be told), which always seems to be a crowd pleaser!

I'm looking forward to seeing everyone there - who knows, the Odyssey2 may live yet again!

Edited by Phosphor Dot Fossils

I'm going to try my best to go this year.

@MMMF - can you PM me with the hotel? If it's right next door to the venue, that's the one I want to stay in.

Thanks!

Bob

Why not post a list of recommended hotels/restaurants? Looking at the gallery posted on AA, it looks like one heck of a show (maybe even worth travelling for).

I'm going to try my best to go this year.

@MMMF - can you PM me with the hotel? If it's right next door to the venue, that's the one I want to stay in.

Thanks!

Bob

Why not post a list of recommended hotels/restaurants? Looking at the gallery posted on AA, it looks like one heck of a show (maybe even worth travelling for).

Well, for anyone who's interested, the closest hotel to the OVGE is the Hampton Inn & Suites South Tulsa/Bixby.

Website (from OVGE): http://hamptoninn.hilton.com/en/hp/hotels/index.jhtml;jsessionid=K24SIKMXVF44ECSGBJBOLYQ?ctyhocn=TULBYHX

Some of the best Chicago style pizza you're ever going to have!

Outside of Chicago!

They are pricey though from what I've heard. I haven't eaten there myself, but as Greg said, they are literally across the parking lot (about 100ft) from the event center.

I've also asked this question on DP and at the particles.org forums, but I thought I'd ask here too:

What do you folks want to see at my booth this year?

In the past I've had the Magnavox Odyssey fired up for prehistoric pong fun, Odyssey2 rarities galore, Atari Video Music, Coleco tabletops, modded PS1 with retro arcade compilations and the gigantic arcade joystick, toys and memorabilia, and so on. Given that at least half of my display space is going to be taken up by stuff I'm selling, what do you folks want to see/play in the remaining space?

Savastano's is pricey, but here's the deal. Two slices of a large pie will fill just about anyone up. I can kill an entire large Mazzio's pepperoni pizza by myself with little trouble, but seriously, two pieces of the deep dish at Savastano's and I'm DONE. So, 4 people can easily split the bill and get full. They also have some decent beer on tap, like Guinness (and they actually know how to pour it!). You can get a filling meal for like 6-7 bucks easy there if you go with friends.

Tough one, Earl. You always bring the coolest stuff. Maybe some of the sweet Tron swag? That's always an eye-catcher.

I do like the Tron stuff Earl brings, but I bet he would be better holding off on that for the 2010 event to coincide with Tr2n err.. Tron Legacy actually.

And Brad Prillwitz isn't just planning on attending anymore... hehe.. Glad to have you back with us Brad! You gonna give me a good deal on the CV banner this year!! j/k ;)

I would also agree that a Tron theme would be nice on Earl's table.

Personally, I would love to see a working Vectrex somewhere at the show, as I do miss that system (and my Vectorcade!)

I'm thinking about having a contest on my Colecovision themed table. Maybe a high-score contest on Pac-Man Collection, or Space Invaders Collection. Or possibly a 2-player fight on Yie Ar Kung-Fu.

Either way, I can't wait to see everyone again!

:D