IGNORED

Season 2 5200 HSC Round 13 *Gyruss*

darthkur

1181242121318.jpg

s_Gyruss_2.png

Space is a lonely place. Especially when you're on the outer rim of the solar system. Your solitude is broken in a most unpleasant way by waves of enemy fighters intent upon making certain that you remain in the cold vacuum....forever. If you ever want to breathe the fresh air of your Terran home world again you must defeat these marauders as you warp from one planet to the next on your homeward journey. Lookout for stray asteroids too because a high velocity impact with one won't get you any closer to your goal.

Emulators are fine as is whatever controller you feel the most comfortable with. Screenshots are great but not mandatory. Please do not use any cheat/hack options. These include auto-fire, unlimited lives, invincibility, etc.

Settings: N/A

Contest ends on: 8-17-09 at 1:00am EST.

Final High Scores:

1st: doctorclu - 223,900 +11

2nd: Scihorror - 220,100 +10

3rd: Shannon - 219,100 +9

4th: Cafeman - 211,000 +8

5th: atariron82 - 197,550 +7

6th: NML32 - 179,450 +6

7th: roadrunner - 168,600 +5

8th: thursday83 - 142,550 +4

9th: DensB68 - 138,300 +3

10th: phuzaxeman - 127,538 +2

11th: darthkur - 122,250 +1

12th: bohoki - 104,950 +1

13th: atariksi - 102,050 +1

14th: NoahsMyBro - 75,200 +1

15th: RangerG - 43,400 +1

Current Standings:

1st: Cafeman (111) (2)

2nd: darthkur (106) (3)

3rd: roadrunner (81)

4th: ckirkman (72) (2)

5th: DensB68 (64) (1)

6th: atariron82 (62)

7th: RangerG (40)

8th: NoahsMyBro (39)

9th: doctorclu (37) (2)

10th: bohoki (35) (1)

11th: Scihorror (28)

12th: LaserHawk (24)

13th: Shannon (13)

14th: LarcenTyler (12)

14th: MIKE5200 (12)

15th: Chris-in-NJ (11) (1)

16th: shadow460 (8)

17th: thursday83 (7)

18th: midnight magicman (6)

19th: atari_envy (5)

19th: Mingy Jongo (5)

20th: mightymage (4)

21st: chuckwalla (1)

Numbers in RED are accumulated points. Numbers in BLUE are number of rounds won.

Link to the official manual: Gyruss Manual

If you use a 2600 or Genesis controller with auto-fire or one of those auto-fire attachments, does it work with the Masterplay or Redemption? This game could use auto-fire.

Wouldn't that be a bit unfair to the ones without that option? Plus that'd take all the fun out of it. ;)

Darthkur,

I don't have auto-fire, but I do like to see which joysticks/controllers are better on individual games. If anything, this high score club has shown that the stock sticks in skilled hands are good (a nod to you :), as they compete well against the 6 button Genesis pads, homemade arcade sticks, etc.

Darthkur,

I don't have auto-fire, but I do like to see which joysticks/controllers are better on individual games. If anything, this high score club has shown that the stock sticks in skilled hands are good (a nod to you :), as they compete well against the 6 button Genesis pads, homemade arcade sticks, etc.

They can be really good for a lot of games, especially when they work correctly. ;)

post-1104-1249442309_thumb.png

I played this in an emulator, and used an auto-fire setting. That made things much easier. I'll try to give the game a shot on authentic hardware later during the round. I'm curious whether or not the autofire provides a substantial advantage.

As for the game itself, I was never a huge fan and probably only played it once or twice, in the arcade back when it was new. I'm confused about the control mechanics.

While playing, I notice my ship will stop at either horizontal compass point, only allowing me to travel around one hemisphere at a time. When that happens, the correlation between which side of the joystick sends me in which direction around the screen reverses. More than one this momentary distraction has caused me to die. Is this control scheme by design, and that's how the game works? Or am I running into some unintended quirk due to the emulator, the Stelladaptor, the autofire, or some other monkeywrench that I inserted?

111,000 - playing on Atari800Win using arrow keys and CTRL for fire button. NO autofire.

NoahsMyBro, the control has always been a clockwise vs counter-clockwise motion because your ship basically sits on a circle. At 3:00, if you want to go towards 12:00, press UP. If you want to go to 6:00, press down to move clockwise, etc etc. Once you get used to it, I don't think it is difficult to have pinpoint control.

post-37-1249493121_thumb.jpg

111,000 - playing on Atari800Win using arrow keys and CTRL for fire button. NO autofire.

NoahsMyBro, the control has always been a clockwise vs counter-clockwise motion because your ship basically sits on a circle. At 3:00, if you want to go towards 12:00, press UP. If you want to go to 6:00, press down to move clockwise, etc etc. Once you get used to it, I don't think it is difficult to have pinpoint control.

I understood my ship moves clockwise, but I was moving left & right. I'll have to revisit the game, now that I know I should try moving up and down as well as left and right. With that illuminated for me, who knows how far I might go?

:)

Edited by NoahsMyBro

ok....i'm in. even against the emulaters, non-stock joysticks, and auto fires. going to make some time. one of my fav of all time. bach's intro on this game rocks!

127,538 stock controller, stock 5200, and 3rd time i've played it. your controllers better be good if you're going to play it with your 5200. :-)

Please, let's not use autofire and keep it on an even keel for everyone. Thanks.

You know, I restricted Autofire when I ran a high score club, kinda cramped the fun. I say have two score sets... autofire, and non.

Or do three. Autofire, third party, stock.

Because the stock sticks... geez... that only a masocist would use.

My autofire score.. (7800 stick w/autofire on redemption module)

post-4709-1249604282_thumb.jpg

I never use the stock sticks, and I have to say if the fire button was not on the sides, the game would be a synch to play. As it is, my hand are hurting like hell. So far 74,600 with the stock stick.