IGNORED

Worst game on 7800..

Armonigann

• 2 weeks later...

Karateka is the worst game. I used to play it on the C64 but can't remember the controls were so bad as on the 7800.

Hat Trick at least gives you some fun in two player mode.

The PAL mission is possible and other good games are Ikari Warriors, Comando and classics like Ms. Pac Man, Donkey Kong (incl. Jr.).

A game I really like and which might have been released by HES in Australia only is Super Skateboardin.

OK, the guy should not wear such kind of shorts and the repetative music sucks your brain but the it is the basic idea of the game I really love.

When I bought my 7800 several months ago, I had a handful of carts like Asteroids and Centipede and I was like "man, what a nice system!"

Although not a "worst game," a big disappointment was Galaga. The speed of this game is dreadful. Because of its popularity and arguably the greatest game of the classic era, Galaga is a game that if you're going to port it you better get it right cuz it's going to be scrutinized and picked apart. NES got it right.

Now, Hat Trick - I fired this thing up and I couldn't believe how terrible it was. To me it looked like an old shareware program released for the i386/486 that I would have downloaded over dial-up from the Download Superstore. Fond memories of that service, btw - purchased many Tetris clones like Finagle that I still have saved to floppy.

After collecting may games for the 7800 it seems overall that developers did not write games to use as much machine that the system had to offer. There are some really good ones in Asteroids, Centipede (just about arcade perfect)and Jr. Pac-Man (the best release for the system yet). Dig Dug and Ms. Pac-Man are only OK.

The biggest shortcoming to this system is the audio. The sound effects on Donkey Kong and Mario Bros. are dreadful, although it doesn't take away the game play from the latter. I've only recently started to warm up to Donkey Kong.

But, I've also seen some terrible ports to the C64 and every system has some clunkers.

I've tried to like Karateka, and have played it a few times. But I just can't bring myself to it. Every time I play it I come away feeling like I'd almost rather shave my face with a cheese grater.

But Mission Impossible isn't too bad. Even if it weren't truly impossible on the 7800, granted the C64 version would still be superior. Still it's not a terrible title, and feels completely playable to me.

There you go OP :), that's what I was talking about! - now... if you hopefully just have a way to load it up?, I know I don't have a CC2 or know of another? 7800 loading solution(any ideas anybody?), and I assume the SC is out because the file is bigger than 2K, I'm sure. :)
If you'd like to play it on a real 7800, I can burn a copy of the ROM and install it into a new 7800 cartridge for you for a small fee (I've been doing this for AtariAge members for a while). PM me if you're interested. Edited by jaybird3rd

I agree on the Galaga being such a bad port to the 7800. Although I have never played it on the NES maybe I am missing out?

Here are my votes for my 2 favorite 7800 games so far. I don't have a large library yet so I cannot comment on alot of the games mentioned here. But my 2 favorite games so far, are Food Fight and Pole Position 2

• 2 weeks later...

I wonder if Atari really ever tested their games? Like most companies do or explain why the controls on Karateka and Fight Night are so horrible. There is an actual delay between the controller and the game, by just over 1 second. I discovered this the very first time I played both games

Good observation. Ever play Kasumi Ninja for the Jaguar? While not quite a second delay, it too suffers from the

same type of gameplay. Sure seemed like Atari stopped paying attention to quality control after the 5200.

Worst game out of my collection for the 7800 would be Hat Trick. This is a game that should be real fun to

play, but they botched it big time. I like what someone else said about it looking like you're playing a slide

show. lol So true.

And Real Sports Baseball just feels all wrong to me. I have since ordered a pair of the CX78 joypads, so

hopefully that'll breathe more life into this system as I feel the standard American controllers are to

blame for much of the disparity between enjoyment and angst.

Jinks, far and away. I cannot stand that game.

Ms Pac-Man is also just flat horrible. It's too slow. At least an option should have been included to select the speed. Want Ms Pac-Man, buy Pac-Man Colletion! from the store.

Water Ski is actually not half bad, but it's insanely difficult.

Galaga is good only at max difficulty.

Jinks, far and away. I cannot stand that game.

Ms Pac-Man is also just flat horrible. It's too slow. At least an option should have been included to select the speed. Want Ms Pac-Man, buy Pac-Man Colletion! from the store.

Water Ski is actually not half bad, but it's insanely difficult.

Galaga is good only at max difficulty.

That's interesting. I was playing Ms. Pacman last night and thought it was fast and fun. I'll have to try the mame version to see how it compares. Graphics wise, it seems pretty authentic compared to other ports from that era. Sound is ok, though not as good as the 8-bit or 5200 versions.

I obtained Fight Night not long ago.The graphics are pretty neat,but it takes a lot out of you just to throw some jabs and punches,not very responsive at all.This is a good example of how bad controls can ruin an otherwise good game,this game had potential,IMO,too bad.I still play though,takes a lot of patience.I bought it,so i might as well play it :roll:

Edited by Rik

Karateka is the worst game. I used to play it on the C64 but can't remember the controls were so bad as on the 7800.

Hat Trick at least gives you some fun in two player mode.

The PAL mission is possible and other good games are Ikari Warriors, Comando and classics like Ms. Pac Man, Donkey Kong (incl. Jr.).

A game I really like and which might have been released by HES in Australia only is Super Skateboardin.

OK, the guy should not wear such kind of shorts and the repetative music sucks your brain but the it is the basic idea of the game I really love.

I'll second that, Karateka on the 7800 is pure garbage.

That's interesting. I was playing Ms. Pac-Man last night and thought it was fast and fun. I'll have to try the mame version to see how it compares. Graphics wise, it seems pretty authentic compared to other ports from that era. Sound is ok, though not as good as the 8-bit or 5200 versions.

I didn't realize how much it deviates from the arcade version until Bob came out with Pac-Man Collection! and corrected a few things...dig:

- The maze colors are wrong. Never noticed it before, but the first maze in the arcade version is NOT pink -- it's light beige with red outlines.

- I think the monsters' colors are off a bit.

- Ms. Pac-Man doesn't slow down as she eats the dots.

- At least the first maze is short a few dots.

That's interesting. I was playing Ms. Pac-Man last night and thought it was fast and fun. I'll have to try the mame version to see how it compares. Graphics wise, it seems pretty authentic compared to other ports from that era. Sound is ok, though not as good as the 8-bit or 5200 versions.

I didn't realize how much it deviates from the arcade version until Bob came out with Pac-Man Collection! and corrected a few things...dig:

- The maze colors are wrong. Never noticed it before, but the first maze in the arcade version is NOT pink -- it's light beige with red outlines.

- I think the monsters' colors are off a bit.

- Ms. Pac-Man doesn't slow down as she eats the dots.

- At least the first maze is short a few dots.

After my post, I decided to try the Original, on Mame, and my 7800 side by side at the Banana level and they didn't seem all that different in regards to speed. I didn't pay attention to speed change as dots are being eaten. I also tried the 5200 and 8bit versions emulated and they seemed much slower compared to both the 7800 and mame. While the 7800 version may not be perfect, I still think it is one of the best ports for consoles of that era.

• 2 weeks later...

The only thing that sucks about Impossible Mission is that it's well... actually... IMPOSSIBLE. Due to a glitch in the code you'll never finish the game. That aside it's a good version of the title. I remember Water Ski being quite underwhelming, but I'll have to fire it up again now just to be sure.

And that's probably my fault, too ;) I was the guy who ported it from the C64 version to the 7800. Another guy (Brian Richter) also worked on it initially, but left the company right after starting it. So, it was up to me to finish it, and with the timing issues of a straight dumb conversion, I had to re-write most of the main loop and graphics stuff. I had used a 256kbit static RAM for it, but Atari came back and said "stuff it in 128Kbits or we can't do it" so I did. And introduced the "impossible" bug in doing so. Or at least, that's what it looks like. I have two versions of the code, one for 256K bits that I know worked because I played it through to the end twice, and the newer version, which I never tested myself. Atari signed off on it though, so they THOUGHT they tested it to completion, which was THEIR responsibility because of the lack of time. By the time they came back and said "it's really impossible" they had already manufactured a huge amount of carts, and the company I worked for was in bankruptcy or just not paying me anymore, so ... you know how it goes ;)

I have the source code, and plan on releasing an "official" fixed version, as soon as I get some time to setup a development system and get the cross-compiler I have working again.

I might even do something about the volume of the robot noises, I too found them annoying, but I thought the C64 version was the same way, or maybe not?

• Like 1

The only thing that sucks about Impossible Mission is that it's well... actually... IMPOSSIBLE. Due to a glitch in the code you'll never finish the game. That aside it's a good version of the title. I remember Water Ski being quite underwhelming, but I'll have to fire it up again now just to be sure.

And that's probably my fault, too ;) I was the guy who ported it from the C64 version to the 7800. Another guy (Brian Richter) also worked on it initially, but left the company right after starting it. So, it was up to me to finish it, and with the timing issues of a straight dumb conversion, I had to re-write most of the main loop and graphics stuff. I had used a 256kbit static RAM for it, but Atari came back and said "stuff it in 128Kbits or we can't do it" so I did. And introduced the "impossible" bug in doing so. Or at least, that's what it looks like. I have two versions of the code, one for 256K bits that I know worked because I played it through to the end twice, and the newer version, which I never tested myself. Atari signed off on it though, so they THOUGHT they tested it to completion, which was THEIR responsibility because of the lack of time. By the time they came back and said "it's really impossible" they had already manufactured a huge amount of carts, and the company I worked for was in bankruptcy or just not paying me anymore, so ... you know how it goes ;)

I have the source code, and plan on releasing an "official" fixed version, as soon as I get some time to setup a development system and get the cross-compiler I have working again.

I might even do something about the volume of the robot noises, I too found them annoying, but I thought the C64 version was the same way, or maybe not?

And I have the paperwork that has the signoff! Someone named B. Quach approved it.

I also have a later "fixed" NTSC version that Atari commissioned that fixed the original bug but added a new one. That one was also signed off but apparently never made it into production.

Mitch

And I have the paperwork that has the signoff! Someone named B. Quach approved it.

I also have a later "fixed" NTSC version that Atari commissioned that fixed the original bug but added a new one. That one was also signed off but apparently never made it into production.

Mitch

Mitch, if you have a scanned copy of that, could you email it to me, or PM a link to it, or somehow figure out another way of getting it to me?

I'd really appreciate it.

I already did a "diff" between the "fixed" version and the original release, so I have an idea of what was wrong.