IGNORED

Side deal...

CPUWIZ

I'm new to ebay but WTF !!!!!!!!!!!! I had the high bid and they can just cancel a auction anytime they want?????? There is no rules against this??? and I can't even leave a bad rating ????

granted I'm sure I would have been outbid because I wouldn't have gone much higher but the whole point of the thing bugs me.

I'm new to ebay but WTF !!!!!!!!!!!! I had the high bid and they can just cancel a auction anytime they want?????? There is no rules against this??? and I can't even leave a bad rating ????

granted I'm sure I would have been outbid because I wouldn't have gone much higher but the whole point of the thing bugs me.

There are rules against it. Unfortunately, unscrupulous ebayers out there will pull this from time to time. Quite possibly the same types of people who piss and moan about ebay's fees and profess to not understand why they keep increasing.

You have a few choices when ending an auction. I haven't done that in a while but I remember one of them being, "Item is no longer available" or something like that. Well, if a side deal was made, that's certainly true! ;) I suppose if eBay was truly nefarious they could look through your PayPal history (if you made a side deal and the buyer paid using it) and see if you're selling items you had listed on eBay "on the side". However, I can't imagine they could seriously do anything about it. eBay got your listing fees when you started the auction and they got money from you via PayPal. I've never heard them take action on someone because they had a history of ending auctions early. Surely this is part of the reason they have listing fees (as opposed to just fees when an item actually sells).

..Al

This happened to me once when I finally came across the legendary Master System 'blue Rambo' complete. eBay just told me that a seller is essentially free to do what they want provided the auction hasn't ended yet.

I was hoping that one would go unnoticed :( I cant remember the last time I won something rare on Ebay US :roll:

Sometimes I decide to head off side dealers and contact the seller with a message like, "Hi, I'm bidding on item _____ because I'd like it for my collection. In its condition of ________, it is considered kind of/sort of/amazingly/unbelievably uncommon/hard to get/rare and could possibly be worth $XXX, so I recommend letting this auction run its course and not taking any side deals. Thank you for your consideration and respect for me as a bidder on your auction." I may be prepared to pay full market value for said item, but sometimes I can get it cheaper than my referenced value (which tends to be fair, but not overzealous). Every now and again I get offered a reasonable BIN.

I was hoping that one would go unnoticed :( I cant remember the last time I won something rare on Ebay US :roll:

Okay better that it be a collector than a quick profit for someone I hope :P what did you get it for (or do we not want to know)?

AX

you misunderstand - i didnt do the side-deal, i saw the auction and was hoping for it to end cheap. ;) Given I havent seen an acution like this ACTUALLY END WHEN ITS SUPPOSED TO in about 3 years, i guess it was just wishful thinking....

I wouldn't fret guys. I'm sure it'll be back on ebay soon, I'm sure a reseller got it, they're the only ones heartless enough to do something like this.

I agree, stuff like this shouldn't be tolerated, but ebay doesn't care just as long as they get their auction fees.

Edited by keilbaca

This happened to me once when I finally came across the legendary Master System 'blue Rambo' complete. eBay just told me that a seller is essentially free to do what they want provided the auction hasn't ended yet.

Legendary? I must be missing something. I own a complete SMS collection and Rambo was one of the easiest games to find. What's a "legendary blue Rambo" complete? The hardest game for me to get complete was Buster Douglas Boxing.

Legendary? I must be missing something. I own a complete SMS collection and Rambo was one of the easiest games to find. What's a "legendary blue Rambo" complete? The hardest game for me to get complete was Buster Douglas Boxing.

There is a whole bunch of crazy techtoy stuff from Brazil that is very hard to find CIB, I think a lot of it comes in Blue boxes. Basically it is pirated SMS games, they even have Super mario bros for the SMS - lol :D

Ouch, you're not going to like this. There were several rereleases of certain titles including Ghostbusters, Black Belt and Rambo. Thus far, Rambo has proven to be the most difficult to find complete. It was rumored to exist, then someone found a loose cartridge, and I eventually found the first complete copy within an auction. Since then, only a few have appeared. You can read all about the mystery of the blue games in my article here:

http://www.smstributes.co.uk/view_article.asp?articleid=26

SMB is a Korean pirate. A number of rare games come from there, a few pirates including Dr. Mario (Dr. Hello), but most of them are legit releases. Some of them, in fact, were released on the Australian 4 Pak All Action cartridge.

Edited by Stan

• 2 weeks later...

I wouldn't fret guys. I'm sure it'll be back on ebay soon, I'm sure a reseller got it, they're the only ones heartless enough to do something like this.

I agree, stuff like this shouldn't be tolerated, but ebay doesn't care just as long as they get their auction fees.

...sigh...

Some of us are collectors, too.

And not every reseller is trying to squeeze every penny from every game.

I can count at least a half-dozen "super-auctions" w/ incredibly rare items end days early in the past few months alone, every one of them lots I was prepared to go big. Once the auction disappears, I keep an eye for them to pop up from another reseller but nothing ever shows. Unless the resellers are sitting on them for months before selling, I bet the games from pulled auctions are going to collectors with shallow pockets.

Sometimes I decide to head off side dealers and contact the seller witha message like, "Hi, I'm bidding on item _____ because I'd like it formy collection. In its condition of ________, it is considered kindof/sort of/amazingly/unbelievably uncommon/hard to get/rare and couldpossibly be worth $XXX, so I recommend letting this auction run itscourse and not taking any side deals. Thank you for your considerationand respect for me as a bidder on your auction." I may be prepared topay full market value for said item, but sometimes I can get it cheaperthan my referenced value (which tends to be fair, but not overzealous).Every now and again I get offered a reasonable BIN.

Now that is a brilliant idea Zwackery - I like it alot.

But by taking the BIN, doesn't it feel like a "side-deal lite"? Its a delicate line, but unless the auction runs its course and other collectors get a shot at it, how can you be sure you didn't underprice it?