IGNORED

My Arcade Prototypes

teh_d3th_st4r

Okay,

So I've mentioned that I have some rare ass prototypes of arcade games in my closet... well I decided to pull them out and take some pictures. I'm going to give each set it's own post, so I'm not double posting, I'm "updating".

LULZ, enjoi.

To start off, I want to show off the gem of my collection, Qwak. Already a super rare arcade cabinet, I have the prototype (both board and light gun) It comes in the box it was delivered in back in 1974, it has schematics, and some little mystery board. I don't know if it still works, but my dad says that it worked back in 1977 when he plugged it in last. Oh! Cool thing, the prototype board spells it "Quack" it's super sweet.

So here it is, feast your eyes and drool.

post-24044-125082356988_thumb.jpg

post-24044-125082358275_thumb.jpg

post-24044-125082360424_thumb.jpg

post-24044-125082367247_thumb.jpg

post-24044-125082369352_thumb.jpg

post-24044-12508238553_thumb.jpg

Edited by the_alpha_geek

Now we move on to Space Race, I have three variations of this: Original, Moving Starfield, and my dads' Custom Changing Starfield.

The one without a bunch of wires is the original.

My Dads Changing Starfield is the one with the Signature in the bottom righthand corner.

And the Moving Starfield is the one without a signature.

Enjoi...

post-24044-125082457289_thumb.jpg

post-24044-125082459137_thumb.jpg

post-24044-125082460265_thumb.jpg

post-24044-125082462031_thumb.jpg

And lastly I have Pele Soccer, I know absolutely nothing about this game, I cant find any information on this game what so ever, all I have to go on is the schematics, and it's missing the other board.

The only thing I do know is that it was never released.

Enjoi...

post-24044-125082478567_thumb.jpg

I have to say, that is truly awesome. Pre-microprocessor-based videogame technology.

Cinematronics was making games up to '82 or '83 without microprocessors. I just picked up 2 Solar quest games and they are a tough game to fix because of all the TTL chips and no processor. Actually all of their early b/w vector games used the same bit-slice technology. Very primitive, but it works, and gives the game a unique feel to the gameplay.

Back on topic. Those are some sweet boards. When was the last time those space race boards were tested? Seems like you would have to be really careful to not rip any kynar wires off of there, and if you did, you would probaly have a tough time finding where they came from.

Thanks for sharing.

So help me understand the process here... ...I've read that Space Invaders was the first commercial game that used a CPU instead of TTL. But SI didn't come out until '79 and I have several ROM images that I play on MAME that are earlier than that (...including some Cinematronics titles), and they reference early 8-bit CPU's (6800, 8080, Z80, and 6502). So did the engineers program these games using CPU-based prototype systems, and then re-engineer them to be manufactured using TTL? I seem to recall some folklore around Steve Jobs having a position at Atari doing this type of engineering, and being paid bonuses on reducing the number of chips used. (...an additional part of that folklore as I recall, is that he actually had the "Woz" doing the work, but he was taking the credit... ...and most of the money.) Is any of this correct? Or just video game Urban Legend?

• 2 weeks later...

Wow,

that is a most impressive collection. I don't know for sure, but I think that Computer Space boardset is the 4 board stack for a two player setup. If so, you are the only person that I have heard of with a complete set (you could say they are not for sale but everything has a price) not in a machine.

Your Quack setup is very interesting. I would suggest if you had the space designing the cabinet and building one. Its not like you are going to find an Indy 8 or a Quack lying around. Most of them were smashed long before the golden age of games.

As for processors, Atari started running processors in the '76 game lineup (Night Driver being a memorable one). SI was the first commercial smash hit, I am sure but there were plenty of B&W games rocking the processor :)

Very impressive stuff, if Quack ever needs a home...I am here for you! :)

Cassidy

• 2 weeks later...

And lastly I have Pele Soccer, I know absolutely nothing about this game, I cant find any information on this game what so ever, all I have to go on is the schematics, and it's missing the other board.

The only thing I do know is that it was never released.

Enjoi...

That game was released. It's World Cup/Coupe De Monde(?) I have the exact same board, with another daughter card that add's some additional features. There is a letter from Steve Jobs to Atari about some hacks he figured out for the boardset. http://www.atarigames.com/stevejobs.pdf

Scott

www.atarigames.com

So help me understand the process here... ...I've read that Space Invaders was the first commercial game that used a CPU instead of TTL. But SI didn't come out until '79 and I have several ROM images that I play on MAME that are earlier than that (...including some Cinematronics titles), and they reference early 8-bit CPU's (6800, 8080, Z80, and 6502). So did the engineers program these games using CPU-based prototype systems, and then re-engineer them to be manufactured using TTL? I seem to recall some folklore around Steve Jobs having a position at Atari doing this type of engineering, and being paid bonuses on reducing the number of chips used. (...an additional part of that folklore as I recall, is that he actually had the "Woz" doing the work, but he was taking the credit... ...and most of the money.) Is any of this correct? Or just video game Urban Legend?

Jobs is the most inept engineer on the face of the planet, The Woz was the real genius (I grew up around them, Jobs is an asshole, and all he ever did at Atari was trouble shoot arcade games in the middle of the night) And from what I hear from friends that work at Apple, he's still an insipid and petty jerk...

As for the boards... I'm honestly not sure, I'm just a collector/gamer, not an expert.

Jobs is the most inept engineer on the face of the planet, The Woz was the real genius (I grew up around them, Jobs is an asshole, and all he ever did at Atari was trouble shoot arcade games in the middle of the night) And from what I hear from friends that work at Apple, he's still an insipid and petty jerk...

As for the boards... I'm honestly not sure, I'm just a collector/gamer, not an expert.

Interesting. Did you work at Atari at some point?

Tempest

• 4 months later...

Bump...

Dammit! I need some closure! Wikipedia says Apple computer started in 1976, so that suggests that work done at Atari by Jobs and Wozniak would have been before then. I've heard that when Jobs and Woz developed the Apple 1, they brought the idea to Atari to be the manufacturer for the Apple II, but it was rejected as too expensive and not the direction Atari wanted to go. This would have been pre-Warner Bros/Atari buy-out, correct? I always found it ironic that when Atari finally did enter the home computer business, Apple was their chief competitor and then went on to be the 8-bit computer maker that survived after IBM entered (...or established the standard of...) the PC market.

I'm thrilled that there are people on this forum with actual knowledge about this stuff...