IGNORED

The Last Word: LW or TLW?

flashjazzcat

LW.COM or TLW.COM?  

34 members have voted

1. 1. Should the executable and all associated config files be called LW.ext or TLW.ext?

• LW
    • TLW

• Please sign in to vote in this poll.

Since I've decided it's more "proper" to have "TLW" as the shorthand name for The Last Word (as referred to in the [enormous] manual), should I also change the name of the executable and config files? A small detail perhaps, but it's an extra keystroke...

Properly listed your program would be "Last Word, The" so I voted for LW.???

Stephen Anderson

• Like 1

Since I've decided it's more "proper" to have "TLW" as the shorthand name for The Last Word (as referred to in the [enormous] manual), should I also change the name of the executable and config files? A small detail perhaps, but it's an extra keystroke...

Hmm....

The unix in me agrees with Stephen two letters, keep things short, mv=move, cp=copy....

But, on the other hand, I think three letters looks nicer than two.

also the three letters seem to alternate nicely when touch typing (left, right, left). But may be not so nicely for the French AZERTY layout.

Another point, for three letters, is the name chosen by Nolan Bushnell and his two partners before they decided on Atari was "Syzygy" which seem to have a link to the astronomy and the alignment of three planets. The name Syzygy was already taken, so we got the second choice name Atari, but the idea of three was kept in the Fuji logo. OK it's a bit cryptic :roll:

All in all I would go with the TLA - "TLW"

The Last Word sounds like the final chapter in the Last Ninja story, on his quest to find the final missing word from the holy scrolls of Raster where upon all the register pokery secrets of the universe will be revealed to him :)

TLW does sound better, it rolls off the tongue easier I think, mind you that might be just my tongue this morning ;)

If the first word (no pun intended) of the title was something other than the article "the" I'd say go with TLW. But since that's not the case, I think LW makes more sense.