IGNORED

How to Create Custom 7800 Pacman Hacks!

jwierer

These are cool. Ms Pacman and ghosts look like Neon signage. :D

And I think something should be said for invisible walls of after dark. Adds challenge and makes you really memorize the mazes.

Now hurry up and release the concerto so I can play these awesome hacks on real hardware...

Edited by stardust4ever
  • Like 1

These are cool. Ms Pacman and ghosts look like Neon signage. :D

And I think something should be said for invisible walls of after dark. Adds challenge and makes you really memorize the mazes.

... therefore 'Xtreme' challenge here ;) :

Ms. Pac-Man After Dark Xtreme (WIP).a78

Ms. Pac-Man After Dark Xtreme (WIP).bin

post-29074-0-07388100-1441544162_thumb.png post-29074-0-99465300-1441544174_thumb.png

post-29074-0-56587900-1441544193_thumb.pngpost-29074-0-99821400-1441544202_thumb.png

post-29074-0-15319400-1441544213_thumb.png post-29074-0-49787100-1441544227_thumb.png

• Like 3

• 4 weeks later...

Being that "Ms. Pac-Man Twin" is taking so long to dump that last eprom (I understand that there are only 3 of those games in the world - so far found), maybe we should change the game to this:

http://www.mameworld.info/ubbthreads/showthreaded.php?Cat=&Number=339951&page=0&view=expanded&sb=9&o=&fpart=1&vc=1

It's already in MAME (so I can get all of the rules), and it's by Namco, so it's an official version!

galgame2_0009.png

galgame2_0008.png

galgame2_0001.png

Edited by PacManPlus
  • Like 2

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

From what I remember you cannot swap the position of Pac-Man in the game. Perhaps since that's how it was hardheaded back in the original arcade games (even in Ms. and Jr. Pac-Man with it's different mazes). Even Champ Ms. Pac-Em also follows this limitation, despite allowing you to to make mazes that are unsymmetrical horizontally.

I'm kinda amazed at myself for making all these hacks of Pac Man/Ms. Pac-Man back in the day. Even if they were just level hacks that served to port Arcade/NES hacks and fan games of the series to the 7800.

Edited by Justin De Lucia

• 5 months later...

Okay so, I'm going to resurrect this topic for a bit and see about making a few small improvements to Bleach Pac-Man.

I first started with correcting the names of some of the "fruits" (most notably Marble Soda to Ramune), but then other issues started to arise, both in the PMCS and in the game itself.

gF618SA.png

Here, the PMCS reads the maze's colors completely incorrectly from how they are displayed in-game; fixed only by loading an archive of the maze.

Secondly, this is another error that I cannot fix.

3p4iAAf.png
This particular tile on the first maze remains no matter what combination of walls or pellets I remove from the board. Removing the wall itself and replacing that part of the maze with normal pellets reveals that somehow I managed to mark that tile as a power pellet/energizer, and I can't find a way to "unmark" a part of the maze as being "Energized".

Id still be up for changing the Ghost's blues into a more proper skin tone is possible.

Bleach Pac-Man1-6.bin

• Like 1

That's awesome. It looks like the Jr boards with the wide profile. Now that widescreen TVs are a thing now, a 16x9 formatted board would be cool, albeit a bit squished on native CRTs... :grin:

A full-screen Jr. would be awesome, or at least one with a camera that tries to do a better job at following you along the edges so a ghost can't come out and surprise-kill you.

The DOS and C64 ports of the game took a wide, one stationary screen route, for each maze under their respective official releases:

post-18-0-25410900-1474473853_thumb.pngpost-18-0-69761400-1474473859_thumb.gif

Perhaps another hack is in order to imitate the DOS/C64 ports of Jr. Pac-Man.

:ponder: :)

• Like 2

The DOS and C64 ports of the game took a wide, one stationary screen route, for each maze under their respective official releases:

attachicon.gifjr-pac-man-dos.pngattachicon.gifjr-pac-man-commodore-64.gif

Perhaps another hack is in order to imitate the DOS/C64 ports of Jr. Pac-Man.

:ponder: :)

I noticed that 7800 Ms Pacman, along with the awesome Pacman Collection, both use the full vertical screen area but only a small portion of the horizontal area. I am curious if the remainder of the horizontal screen area could be expanded to provide larger mazes, if the kernel or sprite/memory limitations even allow this. Jr Pacman homebrew had no problem using the extra screen space in a horizontal scrolling maze so I assume it would be possible on a 7800, even if it means major changes to the kernel.

I noticed that 7800 Ms Pacman, along with the awesome Pacman Collection, both use the full vertical screen area but only a small portion of the horizontal area. I am curious if the remainder of the horizontal screen area could be expanded to provide larger mazes, if the kernel or sprite/memory limitations even allow this. Jr Pacman homebrew had no problem using the extra screen space in a horizontal scrolling maze so I assume it would be possible on a 7800, even if it means major changes to the kernel.

7800 Ms. Pac-Man does not use the full vertical screen area, PMC utilizes a bit more, although still not the full area. Donkey Kong PK-XM utilizes even more than PMC; however, for full vertical screen area utilization, see Water Ski* or Tank Command:

post-18-0-41279600-1474561905_thumb.png

The remaining horizontal space could definitely be utilized, just need someone to program for it. As mentioned (likely) major changes to the kernel though. ;)

*Side Note: Water Ski in the above image is from Kevin's color fixed version.

• Like 1

^^Accounting for safe areas, te@he majority of the vertical real estate compared to horizintal. Good to know there's not hardware limitations preventing it's use. Jr would be an ideal place to start hacking, if it can be made to behave like Ms Pac. No fat pellets and other junk though... :P

^^Accounting for safe areas, te@he majority of the vertical real estate compared to horizintal. Good to know there's not hardware limitations preventing it's use. Jr would be an ideal place to start hacking, if it can be made to behave like Ms Pac. No fat pellets and other junk though... :P

No fat pallets and other junk:

post-18-0-81165700-1474645542_thumb.pngOR post-18-0-17965800-1474649058_thumb.png

&

post-18-0-02856800-1474657834_thumb.png

;)

• Like 2

I meant the pellets getting big when the powerup moved over them. Also the first two screenshots look the same to me, unless we are playing "spot the difference." But those non-scrolling boards would look cool for custom mazes... ;-)

I meant the pellets getting big when the powerup moved over them. Also the first two screenshots look the same to me, unless we are playing "spot the difference." But those non-scrolling boards would look cool for custom mazes... ;-)

Oh, you meant the slow Jr. down dots. I thought you were referring to the first iteration/remake where the dots under (Ms.) Pac-Man were left at their original double-wide size. You prefer that slow-down/bloated dot feature of the original Arcade game to be removed completely; got it.

Check the left most and right most sides of the maze, the "columns" before the edge of the maze, towards the center, are one long piece on the right maze, and broken in two pieces with an opening in the middle in the left maze.

Anyways, added the remaining boards, also reworked the first two posted earlier:

post-18-0-21334700-1474717619_thumb.pngpost-18-0-52527800-1474723155_thumb.png

post-18-0-14138900-1474737829_thumb.pngpost-18-0-43587500-1474740614_thumb.pngpost-18-0-23956200-1474743045_thumb.png

post-18-0-80440700-1474745761_thumb.pngpost-18-0-18295300-1474748235_thumb.png

• Like 4