IGNORED

Just played Mr. Do for the ColecoVision of the first time tonight.

STICH666

Excellent game with great controls. The music is great, the graphics are very impressive for the time and it's a gret deal for only $3. On my first ever play I scored 47900. Is this alright having never played the game before?

47900? Is that one skill level 1?

Now check out the Neo Geo version :D

AX

Is it worth it? I want it...but its a spendy game. I like Mr. Do....but Neo Mr. Do looks like it's just Mr. Do with fancier graphics. In my mind I should sooner spend it on something I KNOW I'll enjoy...like another puzzler or another Metal Slug.

Excellent game with great controls. The music is great, the graphics are very impressive for the time and it's a gret deal for only $3. On my first ever play I scored 47900. Is this alright having never played the game before?

Yep wanted to just try it and now I can't stop.

For some reason,i could never get the hang of Mr.Do!.I have it for my CV.I play for 5-10 minutes and lose interest.I'm going to play more,i want to like this game,the numerous folks who like it here at AA cant be wrong,just too many like it! :)

Yep wanted to just try it and now I can't stop.

I started playing it on level threee, and it wasn't a score near 47000! Eventually I got onto skill level 4 and got 80000. Let's see if you can beat that! :)

When Neo Mr.Do starts hours go away. Try it on Kawaks (sp) emulation and see what you think.

AX

Yes, hours will go away all right. When you see Mr. Do! turn into a woman, your brain will lock up and you'll go into a coma for five days! Weird, weird game, that one.

Also, the penultimate version of Mr. Do! in my humble opinion is on the Super NES. Just one play and you'll never go back to the ColecoVision version again.

When Neo Mr.Do starts hours go away. Try it on Kawaks (sp) emulation and see what you think.

AX

Yes, hours will go away all right. When you see Mr. Do! turn into a woman, your brain will lock up and you'll go into a coma for five days! Weird, weird game, that one.

Also, the penultimate version of Mr. Do! in my humble opinion is on the Super NES. Just one play and you'll never go back to the ColecoVision version again.

Woman, eh? I don't normally mess with emulators...but I might have to give it a go...might motivate me to track down a cart.

That's the problem with Colecovision. Good arcade ports for the time...but they're all pretty much trumped by later ports or totally trumped for sure by MAME.

See, a lot of people just accept the crummy arcade ports on the ColecoVision, making false claims about their quality or excuses about the limited technology of the time, when the stark reality is that they just weren't very well done. Look at all the coin-op conversions on its competitor, the Atari 5200. More often than not, those actually were good ports, with most of the aspects from the arcade games preserved.

Heck, look at what people are doing with the ColecoVision now... they're working hard to make games like Pac-Man Collection and Space Invaders Collection, which really do mirror their arcade counterparts. I wish people would take off the rose-colored glasses and see ColecoVision games like Donkey Kong, Mr. Do!, and especially Gorf for what they really are... lackluster.

For some reason,i could never get the hang of Mr.Do!.I have it for my CV.I play for 5-10 minutes and lose interest.I'm going to play more,i want to like this game,the numerous folks who like it here at AA cant be wrong,just too many like it! :)

I only started playing Mr. Do! recently after having it sit in the storage bin for about 5 months.

There are games like these where I have to play them in small dosages to warm up to them. Another one is Popeye. But, I now play both these games frequently.

Edited by rmaerz

See, a lot of people just accept the crummy arcade ports on the ColecoVision, making false claims about their quality or excuses about the limited technology of the time, when the stark reality is that they just weren't very well done. Look at all the coin-op conversions on its competitor, the Atari 5200. More often than not, those actually were good ports, with most of the aspects from the arcade games preserved.

Heck, look at what people are doing with the ColecoVision now... they're working hard to make games like Pac-Man Collection and Space Invaders Collection, which really do mirror their arcade counterparts. I wish people would take off the rose-colored glasses and see ColecoVision games like Donkey Kong, Mr. Do!, and especially Gorf for what they really are... lackluster.

I don't want to turn this into the 5200 vs. ColecoVision debate because we know the destiny of those threads (LOCKED!). It's a matter of taste and both systems have something to offer. For me, I love the ColecoVision and I haven't played the 5200 in months.

When the ColecoVision was released, gamer's jaws dropped when they saw Donkey Kong. Yes, the game is not arcade perfect, but when you look at the competition (VCS, Intellivsion and Odyssey) there was no argument that this was the most advanced system of its time.

Although underrated, games like Mouse Trap, Carnival, Pepper II, Ladybug and Venture were close to arcade perfect. I think these are some of the best games on the ColecoVision.

I believe part of the problem is the ColecoVision was released within a two-year time period of the crash and therefore you didn't see the system pushed as you did later on with the 2600.

But yes, the Opcode port for the ColecoVision is outstanding.

• 1 month later...

Arcade ports during the classic period were the product of the same modus operandi on all platforms: done usually by a single individual on a very tight schedule by plain "visual inspection". That means that the programmer could play the arcade game for a bit then start to code something that looked and played vaguely like what he/she had just played. Because of that, no matter which platform, CV, 5200, whatever, they were never as good as they could be. And since they were all, well, not perfect (no matter how cool you can remember they were back then), consumer couldn’t complain.

That said, Mr Do! is just another example. I had a lot of fun with this game back in the 80s, but now, while I surely can still play it in short bursts, I must admit that the animation and gameplay are quite flawed. The CV can't do hardware scroll, that is true, but I can tell you that it is capable of animating sprites as smoothly as any arcade from the time. So why wasn't Coleco able to achieve minimally smooth animation with “any” of their games? (Time Pilot being another example, that game runs like it had been written in BASIC) I suspect the Coleco BIOS was the reason for bad performance, but I can be wrong... The irony is that Atari did a much better job with their games for the ColecoVision than any title Coleco managed to put out.

You should check out Mr. Do's Castle for the CV. I think that's an accurate port.

That's the problem with Colecovision. Good arcade ports for the time...but they're all pretty much trumped by later ports or totally trumped for sure by MAME.

That's exactly why I'm more interested in original, CV exclusive games being developed by others or myself. No matter how good of an arcade game port you create for CV, most people will just go "eh, that's nice" and then go back to playing it on MAME. I kind of wonder what's the point in the age of MAME. You're always going to be trumped my MAME.

Appears it wasn't just my mom that loved Mr.Do! On CV lol! Seriously, I was very good at it, remains my favorite Colecovision game to this day. I wont even bother giving my scores, let's just say everday I came home from school my mom had a new high score for me to beat, we both got so good at it, it got to the point that we would roll the score several times over!

I agree 100%! I love Mr. Do on the 5200! One of my all-time fa... Wait a second! They didn't make Mr. Do for the 5200! Hmph!

(Sorry, couldn't resist!)

The game was on the almost identical Atari 400/800 hardware (and far superior to its ColecoVision counterpart), so hmph yourself! :twisted:

Kind of lacking in color and resolution (as usual with most Atari 8-bit stuff) but at least plays a lot smoother.

You should check out Mr. Do's Castle for the CV. I think that's an accurate port.

Try the A8 version, really nice (a bit better than the CV version) and of course good controls ;)

Edited by atarian63