Article: Top 10 Old School 80s Racing Games

40 replies to this topic

#1 VectorGamer OFFLINE  

VectorGamer

Quadrunner

• 8,685 posts
  • \m/

Posted Sun Sep 6, 2009 12:40 PM

Enduro #2? Enduro was good but I can't see it ranking higher than Pole Position (which itself should be higher than Road Blasters) and Spy Hunter.

Top 10 Old School 80s Racing Games

#2 shadow460 OFFLINE  

shadow460

Gunslinger

• 16,558 posts
  • *bink* Good Shot

Posted Sun Sep 6, 2009 12:57 PM

No love for Indy Heat? That must have been released in arcades in '90 or '91, then. It was a top down racer like Super Off Road.

Hmm, I definitely agree with some of those, but there's no way that Enduro and Out Run should have placed above Pole Position II (was it I or II he listed?), Bump 'n Jump, and Roadblasters. How about Rad Racer? No love there, either? And then there's Super RC Pro Am, which is a complete riot with three or four players hooked up.

#3 chrisbid OFFLINE  

chrisbid

Quadrunner

• 5,652 posts

Posted Sun Sep 6, 2009 1:16 PM

im glad they did not include rad racer and top gear

#4 VectorGamer OFFLINE  

VectorGamer

Quadrunner

• Topic Starter
  • 8,685 posts
  • \m/

Posted Sun Sep 6, 2009 1:19 PM

I loved Indy Heat but that was released in 91 (hard to believe it was that late)

http://www.klov.com/...hp?game_id=7512

#5 Vic George 2K3 OFFLINE  

Vic George 2K3

Quadrunner

• 5,534 posts
  • I was corn this way.

Posted Sun Sep 6, 2009 1:32 PM

If it's NOT from the 1980s, it DOES NOT belong in that list!

Personally, I think Bump N Jump should have been included on that list.

#6 cvga OFFLINE  

cvga

River Patroller

• 3,273 posts

Posted Sun Sep 6, 2009 1:55 PM

Good article. I have no problem with Enduro being #2. I would have also had Turbo high on my list. I loved playing that game in the arcade. I also really liked playing Final Lap Twin on the Turbo Grafx. I can't think of another game that is part racing and part RPG. It worked out surprisingly well. I agree that Bump N Jump would have been a good choice also.

#7 Thomas Jentzsch OFFLINE  

Thomas Jentzsch

Thrust, Jammed, SWOOPS!, Boulder Dash

• 18,820 posts
  • Always left from right here!

Posted Sun Sep 6, 2009 1:57 PM

REVS+

The first and only realistic racing simulation game for the C64.

#8 Video OFFLINE  

Video

Quadrunner

• 7,106 posts

Posted Mon Sep 7, 2009 3:46 PM

While Pole position is indeed one of my tops games from my youth, I would actually put Enduro above it. I mean, it doesn't have a set track (or tracks on PP2's case) but it had changing times of days/environments and insane speed if you had the balls to really push it. Awesome game that I still play like a crack addict to this day.

Honestly, I'd say they are very very close, kinda neck and neck, though I personally loved enduro more.

#9 Atariboy OFFLINE  

Atariboy

Quadrunner

• 5,087 posts
  • River Raider

Posted Mon Sep 7, 2009 4:54 PM

Outrun deserves the top spot. I love PP/PPII, but there is no way that they're better games than Outrun.

Top Gear was 1993 or so, which is why it didn't make the list.

#10 MagitekAngel OFFLINE  

MagitekAngel

River Patroller

• 2,152 posts

Posted Mon Sep 7, 2009 6:55 PM

You know, I played Enduro for the very first time exactly a week ago, and I've got to say, I was very impressed. I think it deserves its position purely for its technical accomplishments as a 2600 game.

Edited by MagitekAngel, Mon Sep 7, 2009 6:55 PM.

#11 Cafeman OFFLINE  

Cafeman

Quadrunner

• 5,083 posts
  • fixing house

Posted Mon Sep 7, 2009 9:18 PM

I have no probs with that top ten list and I think Enduro and Outrun have earned the top two.

Enduro is my all-time favorite 2600 game. A few times a year I dig it out and experience its suberb gameplay all over again. Pole Position is awesome, and PP2 even better, but Enduro is an equal experience - even on the antiquated 2600.

Outrun, I'm still enjoying it and don't feel I've mastered it entirely. It's bigger and better and prettier than those other old-school games and that does count towards overall enjoyment. Thank YOU, YU.

#12 Reaperman OFFLINE  

Reaperman

River Patroller

• 4,786 posts

Posted Mon Sep 7, 2009 10:09 PM

oh I'd put enduro pretty much where it goes.
actually I can't think of any 80's racing game better than it. I guess over on the pc engine side, final lap twin's 1989 japanese release might just barely let me cheat it into the list. that was more an rpg than a racing game though.

#13 VectorGamer OFFLINE  

VectorGamer

Quadrunner

• Topic Starter
  • 8,685 posts
  • \m/

Posted Tue Sep 8, 2009 7:49 AM

The problem I have with Enduro ranking so high is that there's too much emphasis on "what an achievement it was" as a 2600 cart. Head-to-head, I'll pick Pole Position over Enduro any day.

#14 cimerians OFFLINE  

cimerians

Quadrunner

• 7,776 posts

Posted Tue Sep 8, 2009 8:05 AM

Great American Cross Country Road Race!
:)

#15 mckafka99 ONLINE  

mckafka99

Dragonstomper

• 526 posts

Posted Tue Sep 8, 2009 12:19 PM

ditto on GACCRR. I have always wondered why a remake of this has not been done, with all the racing titles out there these days, I think nothing would be more cool than an up to date version of this game which could include a virtual, drive around the country as you please mode.

#16 jeremysart OFFLINE  

jeremysart

Stargunner

• 1,054 posts
  • Life is Art

Posted Tue Sep 8, 2009 8:27 PM

Bump n' Jump should'v been on there :(

Edited by jeremysart, Tue Sep 8, 2009 8:27 PM.

#17 shadow460 OFFLINE  

shadow460

Gunslinger

• 16,558 posts
  • *bink* Good Shot

Posted Tue Sep 8, 2009 11:52 PM

The problem I have with Enduro ranking so high is that there's too much emphasis on "what an achievement it was" as a 2600 cart. Head-to-head, I'll pick Pole Position over Enduro any day.

Despite how fun it is, Enduro is just plain bland. No course selection (Indy 500), no manual transmission (Pole Position), and no stripes or anything on the cars (Grand Prix). It's a good game, but there are so many others that outshine it.

Want breakneck speed, play Grand Prix. Now that game really does haul something.

#18 Vic George 2K3 OFFLINE  

Vic George 2K3

Quadrunner

• 5,534 posts
  • I was corn this way.

Posted Wed Sep 9, 2009 12:18 PM

To me, Enduro was there for the 2600 because the promised game Turbo wasn't. And that was what the game was to me.

#19 Reaperman OFFLINE  

Reaperman

River Patroller

• 4,786 posts

Posted Wed Sep 9, 2009 12:25 PM

Despite how fun it is, Enduro is just plain bland. No course selection (Indy 500), no manual transmission (Pole Position), and no stripes or anything on the cars (Grand Prix). It's a good game, but there are so many others that outshine it.

Want breakneck speed, play Grand Prix. Now that game really does haul something.

enduro did have a proper day/night cycle and variable weather.
not too many games even today boast that.

Edited by Reaperman, Wed Sep 9, 2009 12:32 PM.

#20 Cafeman OFFLINE  

Cafeman

Quadrunner

• 5,083 posts
  • fixing house

Posted Wed Sep 9, 2009 2:26 PM

Enduro's day/ice/fog/dark/daybreak cycle gave the game much opportunity for strategy. The patterns of the cars change over the day progression. To beat any day past day 5, you are going to have to learn to weave through some tight spots, keeping your speed just high enough to continually chip away at the counter. You learn quickly not to take the same risks on ice as you might when it is dark and the cars are merely a stream of brake lights. There wasn't any other game I knew on the home front which offered gameplay like Enduro. The gameplay holds up too, its just the same as it seemed back in the 80's.

That beeping at the end of a day is one of the scariest sounds I've ever heard in a game!

#21 VectorGamer OFFLINE  

VectorGamer

Quadrunner

• Topic Starter
  • 8,685 posts
  • \m/

Posted Thu Sep 10, 2009 7:58 AM

I think Enduro is worthy of the top 10...

However, if you have a taste test with a Pole Position cockpit and an Atari 2600 complete with Enduro cart sitting in front of a gamer, which one are they going to choose to play the majority of the time?

I re-read the article and the author states "my favorite games" so really is not a "definitive" "These Are the Top 10 80's Racing Games - Period" article. The author does mention the cockpit and the controls of Pole Position so the gaming experience is taken into consideration as well.

So, now that we have turned this into "The Top 10 Racing Games of the 80's" I maintain that Pole Position would rank higher than Enduro. In every aspect from graphics, audio effects, controls and overall gaming experience, Pole Position is superior to Enduro.

Again, this is not to take anything away from Enduro. The title was critically acclaimed upon its release and I don't recall ever seeing any negative reviews for this cart.

Does anyone recall if any of the gaming magazines (and which ones) at the time had charts (similar to Billboard charts) of the top selling games? I seem to remember these being published...

#22 Video OFFLINE  

Video

Quadrunner

• 7,106 posts

Posted Fri Sep 11, 2009 2:07 PM

Yeah, except your comparing an Arcade version of a game (btw, most people I know, have never seen, let a lone played the cockpit version of Poleposition, i'm lucky to have seen it once in my life, though mostly played the upright) vs the 2600 version of the game.

True the Arcade destroys it in feel, graphics, sound etc....but, take the 2600 version of Pole Position, and pit that against enduro and then what do you got? :P (unfortunately, most people would go for "name recognition" cause the remember poleposition, but who the hell is in-dureOH?)

I know, they're taking all kinds of games, but if your going to do a comparison, at least make it apples to apples, and not apples to oranges.

#23 Lord Thag OFFLINE  

Lord Thag

River Patroller

• 3,006 posts
  • We put our faith in Blast Hardcheese

Posted Fri Sep 11, 2009 5:07 PM

However, if you have a taste test with a Pole Position cockpit and an Atari 2600 complete with Enduro cart sitting in front of a gamer, which one are they going to choose to play the majority of the time?

Well, having been in that position, I would have to say Enduro :D

PP is fun, but rather repetative. Enduro has a lot more variety. It may not be as pretty, but it IS more fun IMHO.

#24 VectorGamer OFFLINE  

VectorGamer

Quadrunner

• Topic Starter
  • 8,685 posts
  • \m/

Posted Sat Sep 12, 2009 5:08 AM

I know, they're taking all kinds of games, but if your going to do a comparison, at least make it apples to apples, and not apples to oranges.

Yeah but the article is comparing different games across all platforms and saying "this one is better than the other." Therefore, yes - Pole Position (arcade) vs. Enduro (2600)...

Now, Pole Position 2600 vs. Enduro - I'll take Enduro

#25 atarian63 OFFLINE  

atarian63

River Patroller

• 3,840 posts

Posted Sat Sep 12, 2009 8:29 AM

Enduro #2? Enduro was good but I can't see it ranking higher than Pole Position (which itself should be higher than Road Blasters) and Spy Hunter.

Top 10 Old School 80s Racing Games

super off road is pretty new to be considered "old school". I have the arcade machine and consider it one of my newer models.

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users