IGNORED

Graphics processor in the ST?

Gunstar

I've been searching for a REAL faq on the ST line, with specs and everything, but can't find one...that Quick Faq has lots of good stuff, but I just want to check out all the specs. Anywho, one question I really want to know is if there is a graphics proccessor in the ST's or if the 68000 is pulling the whole load? I've been amazed so far at what the lil' ol ST can do so far, especially with 3D stuff, pretty smooth frame rates on some of the polygon stuff, I was suprised, looks almost as good as 32X stuff and at least as good as SNES FX stuff I've seen. I'm just wondering if the 68000 is pulling it all off on it's own or if there is a GPU in there somewhere...I've seen the 68000, the MMU and some other chip (graphics?) and I know about the video shifter thingy in the sheilding, but that's not the actual graphics processor is it? Isn't it more like the CTIA/GTIA chip in the 8-bits, just basically for throwing the stuff on the screen (the Antic being the main GPU in the 8-bits-I know the GTIA does some stuff)? Just curious.

Also want to know about graphics upgrades and if any programs, graphic/games, support any upgrades or if they are basically worthless "techie" stuff that one would have to create their own programs for...