IGNORED

.STX floppy image format description needed

tnt23

Why anybody would want to preserve this format is beyond me. Don't pirate? Sure, I understand that. The trouble is that anybody in the business of Atari ST software quit giving a shit 27 years ago. .STX is crap, as it won't run on real hardware. Anythintg that won't run on real hardware is crap. Just an opinion. As always, opposing viewpoints are welcome!

The idea is to be able to preserve the protected disk format before bit rot kills all the original disks. At a later time a method can be done to allow the writing back of .STX disk formats. With KryoFlux and other devices I think it will be possible. Plus you can use the .STX format in Emulators, so it's not all worthless.

Edited by tjlazer

Why anybody would want to preserve this format is beyond me. Don't pirate? Sure, I understand that. The trouble is that anybody in the business of Atari ST software quit giving a shit 27 years ago. .STX is crap, as it won't run on real hardware. Anythintg that won't run on real hardware is crap. Just an opinion. As always, opposing viewpoints are welcome!

STX is not crap. It is very well usable in emulators - better said only in Steem and Saint currently. There is some job done to support it in Hatari, but lack of specs and support by Ijor makes it hard.

And actually, STX is usable on real HW too - with HxC floppy emulator. Now, if you say that it is crap, and only real floppy drives are good, you are really an id... :-D

I understand. But I was under the impression - my impression - that running on REAL harware was "where it's at." Evidently, I am mistaken in this regard. I guess people love emulators more than I do, but they are always "off" in some regard, to my senses. STX it is, then.

Have to say, the only time I've used any Atari related emulator was just for the kicks

and giggles. Then I removed it and went back to where it's really at, the original

hardware.

(and this was under Linux. Running anything Atari under anything Microsoft

leaves a very bad taste in my mouth)

Just my preference, and as always, YMMV. :)

• Like 2

No most people love the real hardware more. But we also have to preserve the original disks as much as we can, and with Pasti, we can do that. It would be nice if there was an easy way to write them back to real disks, but then again, the disks are HEAVILY copy protected. So the fact that we can even copy them as a disk image is great! Better than nothing! Right? ;)

It's still cool on a "technical" level (pasti) but on a "functional" level, the crackers who cracked this stuff (25-28 years ago) did much more than pirate (although that was their goal at the time). They actually preserved the software for perpetuity, and that means running it on REAL hardware. Floppy emulators, etc...make this possible. Sure, it's nice to run the stuff on your Windoze box as Pasti, but I'd play the cracked version on REAL hardware with a floppy emulator ANY day. Just an opinion.

It's still cool on a "technical" level (pasti) but on a "functional" level, the crackers who cracked this stuff (25-28 years ago) did much more than pirate (although that was their goal at the time). They actually preserved the software for perpetuity, and that means running it on REAL hardware. Floppy emulators, etc...make this possible. Sure, it's nice to run the stuff on your Windoze box as Pasti, but I'd play the cracked version on REAL hardware with a floppy emulator ANY day. Just an opinion.

Yes and thanks to all the pirating all platforms can enjoy the disk images and emulation, and also the writing back to real disks for use on real hardware! But cracks do have limitations and bugs. Some have corrupt graphics and other issues. Having access to real disks is great.

Case in point on the Amiga. We can use these protected ADFs to install HD install able games using WHDload! ;)

Edited by tjlazer

My main problem with cracks - at least most of them (95%) is that they did not 'preserve' SW (games mostly) in original form, but add intros, annoying blah (greetings and other silly things) to game. In worst cases there are changes of original txt (replaced with 'cracked by xy' and similar). Some even change graphic, title screens. In such cases, and when no STX image of original available, I needed to combine multiple sources to get unchanged original content. There are bad, incomplete cracks too, as is known. Pasti is for sure more reliable source, and %-age of bad Pasti images is much less than by cracks.

I think everyone can agree that the best case scenario is to run these programs on real hardware. With that said playing ST and 8Bit games using real Atari joysticks with stelladaptor with Altirra or STeem (thanks guys) is a very enjoyable experience and at least to me does not diminish that experience.

Real hardware is going to die and real disks are already well on their way. Its nice to have a fallback for when this happens.

Edited by TwiliteZoner

The fact that real hardware is going to die does not justify throwing out the desire to play on real hardware, while it exits. When real hardware is all in the shitcan and no longer possible, that may be a valid argument. Until then, real hardware, please.

The fact that real hardware is going to die does not justify throwing out the desire to play on real hardware, while it exits. When real hardware is all in the shitcan and no longer possible, that may be a valid argument. Until then, real hardware, please.

Did I say anything about throwing out the desire to play on real hardware? According to my wife I have entirely too much real hardware.

Edited by TwiliteZoner

• 6 years later...

Why is Steem not working, I tried contacting the Author, but just completely IGNORED myself!  donmegacool@hotmail.com

I was trying to use Premier Manager 2, so he asked what I was using and I had an older version of Steem, he then said he dont support that version and I need to Download the Latest Version.  I did so and guess what Premier Manager 2, dont work!  It goes to a Match and just Pauses and never continues.  

Can a nice person, try and help a retro gamer out please

Many Thanks