IGNORED

have you ever hated a console?

Tr3vor

Luckily, I had a spare in the closet.

You keep a spare Screw driver in your closet?

:lolblue:

If I owned, or had owned, some of the more epic failures, like the 5200 or Virtual Boy, then maybe I would have hated - physical pain and hardware failures...urg. Actually, if I was one of those unfortunate souls with multiple-RROD experiences I might hate the 360 too...

Edited by vdub_bobby

Yup, I've hated a couple of them.

5200 for the horrid controllers. My 5200 is down due to controllers right now. They are both just plain shot--even a new flex circuit will not save them. I committed a terrible act recently and smashed the one half working controller into the front of the console. The console shattered in the front and the controller casing cracked. I crawled about the floor until I found every single piece of the shattered console, and I super glued it all back together. It looks a tad rough now, but then again, that plus the burn marks on the console (I didn't do those) just add character.

NES for the blinking and pink screens. Dunno how many times I've wanted to kick a field goal with one of these.

I shattered a Game Gear once, too, but that's a good little handheld. I was angry with Dr Robotnik's Mean Bean Machine, and I started pointing at the screen and yelling at it. Not wise with a small screen, trust me. I caught my finger on the edge of the metal table and ripped the nail halfway off. In the next second, I grabbed the Game Gear in my fist and slammed it down onto the table as hard as I possibly could. There was blood and plastic everywhere, and black fluid was oozing out of the screen.

The cart and the NiCd batteries survived. :thumbsup:

Other than that, I don't like the N64's fragile controllers, the Saturn's picky cart slot, or the Dreamcast's VMUs that just love to eat expensive batteries for breakfast. I also don't get along much with my skateboard, but it's got six faulty AA cells in it so I can't blame it for that.

Even so, I make do. :) (happy thoughts, happy thoughts...I got cheated again!! *breaks cart* happy thoughts...)

I don't hate any system but last on my list to like is the Wii, because of the games and the hype of what could be good. A couple gems like Super Mario Galaxy / Wii Sports, but an AMAZING amount of garbage games. What happened to quality control? I do hate one game company...Destineer! The epitome of what is wrong with its game selection. Game selection is part of the reason I still love my poor Dreamcast.

Edited by coyo5050

Arcadia 2001 is pretty awful, and most people have never heard of it.

But I'm going to have to agree about the Atari 5200... good games, but crappy joysticks and MOAR HUEG THAN XBOX. It's not just the contact problems in the sticks, it's also the side buttons being anti-ergonomic. Notice how all systems since the SNES with side buttons have them along the top edge?

Edited by Bruce Tomlin

Hmmm.

I hated the Genesis when I first had one back in the the early 90s because every game I ever bought was absolute crap. I just had *really* bad luck at choosing games, I guess, and I grew to hate it after my 4rd or 5th crap Gen game. I'm giving it a second chance, though.

I still hate the GameCube. Nintendo shoulda stuck with cart-based systems.

(And Mr Plimpton was right about INTV vs 2600.)

Edited by Smatchmo

Hmmm.

I hated the Genesis when I first had one back in the the early 90s because every game I ever bought was absolute crap. I just had *really* bad luck at choosing games, I guess, and I grew to hate it after my 4rd or 5th crap Gen game. I'm giving it a second chance, though.

I still hate the GameCube. Nintendo shoulda stuck with cart-based systems.

(And Mr Plimpton was right about INTV vs 2600.)

like awesome passum? i was thinking about selling my genesis, except for that game, that game would go into the trash.

yeah, my gamecube had some real problems with reading these stupid little disks that it uses.

Yes... my Vectrex! I own two and both don't work for **it. One the screen flips out of control, the other the screen is off center and flicker is bad. I'm just about to throw in the towel and destroy both with a sledge hammer to put them out of their misery. I wouldn't want to sell them and then have another poor gamer go through the agony I've been going through. *sigh*

"Do I hate game systems," he asks! Ha! Of course I do. There are plenty of consoles that have earned my contempt over the years, particularly the 32X (who asked for this thing? Wasn't the Sega CD enough?), the Nintendo 64 (Nintendo's stone wheel when everyone else was selling drag racers), and of course the Emerson Arcadia. It's a system with sub-2600 technology, competing with next-generation consoles from 1982! What could possibly go wrong there?

• Like 1

Have you ever really hated a video game console really bad? i do. i hate my sega genisis. when i turn it on, i have the sudden urge to turn it of, unhook it, and chuck it in the closet. when i play it, it makes me want to do something else. i dont know why. oh well.

I hate the DINA 2 in One.

The Intellivision simply because of Bill Plimpton's trash talking.

Bill Plimpton's the cartoonist.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nVOBewHhph4

I don't have too much of a problem with George Plimpton... arrogant sure, but what did you expect from a stuffy British guy? If Atari wanted to directly address those advertisements, all they would have needed to do is hire John Cleese to parody him. They didn't need to, though, because they were the industry leaders by a considerable distance and didn't need to acknowledge their competitors.

Blasphemy! I had hours of fun on that thing until my Dad gave it away. I didn't care if the controllers broke! I can't count the times I went back for more of Escape or Tanks a Lot. And it has the definitive port of Cat Trax, if that's your kind of Pac-Man clone.

Yes, I think the Emerson unit had some good games, but it also had some real stinkers, too. Capture, Breakaway, and Alien Invaders come to mind as the stinkers.

Capture just looked horrible. Alien Invaders had only one stage, and then you sat there until the timer ran out. Breakaway severely needed analog controls.

On the other hand, Cat Trax, Tanks a Lot, and Space Attack were some of the better titles. Yeah, Space Attack was tough as nails with that time limit, but it was fun.

I have to give props to Star Chess and Ocean Battle (#6, not sure if that's the right title) for their design. I'm not yet sure if it was good or bad, but they were definitely very different.

One just has to try out several games, preferably under emulation, and find what they like. They're not all bad. Plus the 12 volt input makes it portable so you could play it in a car or a boat. :ponder:

Arcadia 2001 is pretty awful, and most people have never heard of it.

"Do I hate game systems," he asks! Ha! Of course I do. There are plenty of consoles that have earned my contempt over the years, particularly the 32X (who asked for this thing? Wasn't the Sega CD enough?), the Nintendo 64 (Nintendo's stone wheel when everyone else was selling drag racers), and of course the Emerson Arcadia. It's a system with sub-2600 technology, competing with next-generation consoles from 1982! What could possibly go wrong there?

The Game Boy Color. I may not have known much about video games back in 1998, but I knew that handheld systems could be better than that! Horribly outdated technology coupled with Nintendo's neigh unshakable dominance in handheld gaming, with a mediocre game library developed by people who clearly had no idea how to write a game for an 8 bit system.

In my book, it was an even bigger fiasco than the Virtual Boy.

Dubious mention goes to the RCA Studio II. So called "game" system that could barely play games and was behind the times before it was even released. To be fair, it was only the second digital cartridge based game system ever released.

The American Super NES casing is just ugly compared to the Japanese and European versions. It befuddles me why America got stuck with a piece of dead taste to house their Super NESes. That's what I hated about that system...other than Nintendo jerking people around with whether it was going to get a CD-ROM accessory or not.

Yes... my Vectrex! I own two and both don't work for **it. One the screen flips out of control, the other the screen is off center and flicker is bad. I'm just about to throw in the towel and destroy both with a sledge hammer to put them out of their misery. I wouldn't want to sell them and then have another poor gamer go through the agony I've been going through. *sigh*

I would love to have a Vectrex even with a flickery flippy screen but sadly my cash flow is but a trickle these days but if you ever grab that hammer in frustration let me know and maybe we could sort something out.

Can't say I hate any game system, but I always felt like the Jaguar stole the Lynx's thunder back in the day. The Lynx seemed like it was starting to take off when all of a sudden there were no more game reviews, the release schedule dwindled to nothing, and the this thing called "Jaguar" came along.

If Atari had concentrated on making the Lynx even better (more games, better advertising (Grey Matter? were they kidding?), perhaps even a third revision) and totally avoided competing with the home consoles, then they may have survived a bit longer.

So yeah, no love or interest in the Jag here.