IGNORED

Zaku for the Atari Lynx: Official thread

DeathAdderSF

Again, a millionfold apologies for the accidental derail.

These things happen.

But, yes, everyone, let's please try to keep this thread on-topic. This is the Official Zaku thread; there are plenty of other places to discuss the EU.

Thank-you. :)

Edited by Clean Larry
  • Like 1

I just received mine, though the top and bottom flaps have creases in the middle, which is unfortunate. Otherwise, very, very nice.

Got mine too, luckily the outer box fit in the mailbox and the inner box is crisp and perfect. I've never photographed an unboxing before, but this is beyond special :)

Just watched the startup/intro movie on my brother's old Lynx II. 'Scuse me while I mop up the drool. I can't thank you folks enough, Brandon, Osman, and everybody that poured heart and soul into this. Looks like my birthday is a day early this year! ;)

I got mine today! I've been outside building a shed and finishing up the fence posts for my Privacy fence. I will play it this evening! That is a no brainer!

If you dont I'll be angry...Tell me how it is.

I need to know!icon_mrgreen.gif

I hope mine is here by the weekend.

Played mine last night. VERY polished game and very challenging. I died at the first big boss.

The game works very well on the Lynx screen.

The sound is well done also.

I can't believe how perfect the box and curved lip cart turned out. They are are good or BETTER than original Atari Lynx games. The box even has the glued inserts that hold the cart and instruction book.

The instruction book as well is excellent and full color.

I've got mine today : as viewed upper, thanks for the double wrapping (perfect protection !).

About the game : very good looking and top quality package :thumbsup: .

A little question about the rocket shoes : as I push option 1 button, Zaku goes faster (a few seconds?), that's correct ?

Thanks again for the quality of your game (hope to see more games by the Super Fighter Team!).

This is probably the BEST release I have ever seen since I started collecting for the Lynx. Not many games are going to top this at all. And to be frankly honest with you, not much released during the 'Lynx Years' even touch this release. (this ranks up there with some of the best like EOTB, and then surpasses many many others)

Zaku is breath-taking in many many ways. If you are debating on picking this up for your collection, please do not debate nor wait any longer. Not having this within your collection is like not having Thrust in your Atari 2600 collection. It is like not having ever played a game of Space Invaders in the arcade and hearing the thump thump thump of the aliens at they march towards earth and eventually the end of your quarter's worth of excitement!

Owning a Lynx without this game is like owning a Chevelle without a steering wheel. Get the picture?

The packaging alone is top notch. I loved the packaging of the Lynx Flashcard and the Lynxopoly releases. It got away from the interesting orange clam shell that was being used for a while on all homebrews or late releases...which are better than the cd cases of games like Fat Bobby and others. But the box quality, get this, is better than anything Atari released. So is the manual. Everything about this release is professional and amazing! Top quality and top notch. It will be very hard for anyone to top this.

The game itself is a wonderful game! I have only gotten through one level myself, but the quality is better than most games I have seen on the Lynx. Some people will want to compare this to Alpine Games. Some will argue one is better than the other. But basically, they are both 'must haves' for the Lynx. As mentioned earlier, some things in Alpine Games are things that are wonderful (The actual snowfall is one thing) and most people will always remember that. But, I think AG has a bit of lack of replay value after a while. The World Records thing was awesome, and that kept me coming back for more and more. But I think Zaku will hold its own for a very long time for its originalality and extreme quality!

Buy it and enjoy it! Treat yourself before Christmas, as this is a great gift.

Edited by EricDeLee

Just placed my order now. Cant wait to try it. Hows everyone enjoying it so far. I only live like 11 miles from the address on the Zaku order page. To bad they didnt reply back to my email for local pick up =(

Intro movie like a 90s side scroller, action like a 90s side scroller....

Which is NOT a put-down....

It's more than just shooting - like the best scrollers you have to figure out what enemies can be taken out with what kind of blast (if any!) and how to best weaken opponents and what patterns to watch for, especially with bosses.

That said, I've only managed to get past one boss, and I've tried each of the four lands more than once as a starting point. And that's on the EASY setting!

I took a bit of a break today as I finally got a replacement Rygar - my brother crushed our only copy between us behind/under a bed at some point in the 90s. I got further on that than I ever have before, but that's a story for another topic/thread. ;)

But this is a definite hit - even my mother was impressed with the packaging/cartridge (she stopped by for my birthday, and was astounded I had a Lynx out until I showed her why :) ), as if it hadn't been about 12 years since the last Lynx cartridges made that way.

Edited by JohnBuell

Just placed my order now. Cant wait to try it. Hows everyone enjoying it so far. I only live like 11 miles from the address on the Zaku order page. To bad they didnt reply back to my email for local pick up =(

Intro movie like a 90s side scroller, action like a 90s side scroller....

Which is NOT a put-down....

It's more than just shooting - like the best scrollers you have to figure out what enemies can be taken out with what kind of blast (if any!) and how to best weaken opponents and what patterns to watch for, especially with bosses.

That said, I've only managed to get past one boss, and I've tried each of the four lands more than once as a starting point. And that's on the EASY setting!

I took a bit of a break today as I finally got a replacement Rygar - my brother crushed our only copy between us behind/under a bed at some point in the 90s. I got further on that than I ever have before, but that's a story for another topic/thread. ;)

But this is a definite hit - even my mother was impressed with the packaging/cartridge (she stopped by for my birthday, and was astounded I had a Lynx out until I showed her why :) ), as if it hadn't been about 12 years since the last Lynx cartridges made that way.

Sounds awesome, its like christmas is coming early this year. I love Air Zonk one of my all time favorit games and this looks like the perfect game for me.

I don't post that often on this forum, but Zaku arrived yesterday (I also live in the Netherlands) and I just wanted to say that this game is really awesome and deserves any praise it gets. Everything about his game makes you think that it was produced back in the glory days of the Lynx...which off course is a good thing. Graphics are nice and brightly colored. The sprites are large (especially the Bosses) and nicely animated. Love the fact that Zaku has Parallax scrolling. Controls are really smooth and the pace of the game is pretty fast.

Everyone who hasn't ordered this game, I suggest you do so right away and start enjoying this game to the fullest.

Hello everyone, glad to hear you are enjoying the game so far.

A little question about the rocket shoes : as I push option 1 button, Zaku goes faster (a few seconds?), that's correct ?

Zaku moves at the same speed after pressing Option 1.

Could we have Zaku for December High-Score Club?

That is a good idea. I think more people should join the Lynx HSC in any case. Come on now, send in your scores people! :)

Sounds good to me. Just so you're aware, the maximum feasible score in the game (achieved through no deaths, and abusing enemy "taunt" periods) should be about 1.9 million points. Unfortunately your score is cleared at a Game Over, so mash the pause button before Zaku plummets off the screen.

Also, if any of you would like to give gameplay feedback (either here, or sent to contact@penguinet.net) on what you like/dislike about anything in Zaku's adventure (particularly what you dislike), it would be very helpful.

Edited by TailChao