IGNORED

Harmony software and BIOS

batari

The first release of Harmony software and BIOS update are ready.

All users should update BIOS even if your Harmony is working fine, as some essential features are added, including:

- Fixed bug in FAT driver so most SD cards will work properly now

- Fixed possible issue with Supercharger homebrews

- Supercharger games and Pitfall II should now work with certain 7800s that can't otherwise play them

- 0840 bankswitching now works

- Color cycling can be disabled with color/BW switch

- You can display the entire filename if truncated by the menu by holding down the fire button

- Various menu bugs fixed

If there is anything I forgot to mention, someone can follow up.

Where to get the software:

Harmony programming tool for Linux

Harmony programming tool for Windows

The OS X version will be ready next week.

To use the software, plug your Harmony cart into your PC. The drivers should already be on your computer as the Harmony is detected as a USB-to-serial port. If the drivers do not install automatically, you may download them here.

Linux users may also need to install Qt4 libraries. If you're using KDE4 in Linux, you already have Qt4. Otherwise, you can simply install it from your distro repository.

Using the software:

Before you start the software, plug your Harmony into your computer. It will automatically detect your Harmony upon startup.

Next, tell the software the location of the EEPROM loader. This is in the "arm" folder and called eeloader.bin. After it is selected, click the "Download EEPROM" button.

Next, make sure your SD card is plugged into a card reader. Select the BIOS image depending on your TV type: NTSC or PAL. File will be named hbios_ntsc.bin or hbios_pal.bin. Then select the location of your SD card, and click "Copy HBIOS."

You may now eject your card, insert in the Harmony, and boot. You should get a spinning yin-yang for about 10-20 seconds then a message indicating success.

Development:

The development tab is for homebrewers or others wishing to load the Harmony with a single game. This will overwrite the multicart BIOS, but your Harmony will play the game without requiring an SD card at all. You can restore the multicart BIOS at any time.

Please let us know how it goes.

Edited by Albert

Linux users may also need to download Qt libraries. I believe they are here: http://get.qt.nokia.com/qt/source/qt-x11-opensource-src-4.5.3.tar.gz (someone correct me if this is wrong.)

Just a small correction on this. You shouldn't need to download the actual Qt source code (which is what the above link points to). If you're using KDE4 in Linux, you already have Qt4. Otherwise, you can simply install it from your distro repository.

Linux users may also need to download Qt libraries. I believe they are here: http://get.qt.nokia.com/qt/source/qt-x11-opensource-src-4.5.3.tar.gz (someone correct me if this is wrong.)

Just a small correction on this. You shouldn't need to download the actual Qt source code (which is what the above link points to). If you're using KDE4 in Linux, you already have Qt4. Otherwise, you can simply install it from your distro repository.

Thanks. Original post has been updated.

Fred, I had just written a nice blog post on your work. Bonked on the wrong button and it all got deleted...

(I really hate that)

You rock. Batari Basic is fun, educational, and quite unique in how it focuses one right down to the basic elements. Love it.

Harmony is an excellent combination of engineering, both software and hardware. I know others contributed software elements, and I'm writing this for them too.

Thanks. Seriously, just thanks. I love this hobby, and seeing stuff like this come together is just great. The VCS has had the bar raised (again), and lots of people will be enjoying that. I suppose I'm taking a moment to post this, just so you know others appreciate the sweat that went into these things.

(thank god, you had an Atari at some earlier point in life)

A good, warm fuzzy is a perfectly healthy thing. Here's from me (and others) to you. Much Appreciated!

If anyone can rewrite this as a "for Dummies" version :-), it would be greatly appreciated (like RealRed did on the other thread). I don't know if the SD card stays in the cart? How do I know if I need drivers? Also, when I click the "Harmony programming tool for Windows" there are many folders and I don't know which to run, open, etc. I know these are real basic questions, but help would be appreciated. I'll wait until others do it successfully and then hopefully someone will rewrite - thank you!

If anyone can rewrite this as a "for Dummies" version :-), it would be greatly appreciated (like RealRed did on the other thread). I don't know if the SD card stays in the cart? How do I know if I need drivers? Also, when I click the "Harmony programming tool for Windows" there are many folders and I don't know which to run, open, etc. I know these are real basic questions, but help would be appreciated. I'll wait until others do it successfully and then hopefully someone will rewrite - thank you!

There is only one program in the archive. Extract the archive and double-click the yin-yang icon.

Thanks Batari. I did get that far :-). I extracted them all into a folder and then clicked the ying-yang, but then it says Microsoft error. I think my problem is before all that. When I connect the Harmony cart, the hardware wizard welcomes me and wants to install settings (automatically or from a location). I click auto and it can't find them. I assume I need to get drivers from the page you showed? By the way, should the SD card be in the Harmony or does it matter? Don't worry, I'll figure it out (and some others will post). Thanks.

Thanks Batari. I did get that far :-). I extracted them all into a folder and then clicked the ying-yang, but then it says Microsoft error. I think my problem is before all that. When I connect the Harmony cart, the hardware wizard welcomes me and wants to install settings (automatically or from a location). I click auto and it can't find them. I assume I need to get drivers from the page you showed? By the way, should the SD card be in the Harmony or does it matter? Don't worry, I'll figure it out (and some others will post). Thanks.

im having the same problem as well.also,my computer reconized the harmony cart as a usb serial device,and when i click the ying yang to update,i get a microsoft error.it also says harmony cart not reconized.

There seems to be some problems on Vista, and now it's happening in Windows 7 as well. It works fine for me in XP. I'm looking into it now. Also, it probably hasn't been stated above, but this is pre-1.0 software that hasn't been fully tested yet.

HarmonyCart.exe does start if the harmony cart isn't plugged in. It bonks if the harmony cart is connected.

So in summary, the current version doesn't work with Windows 7 or Vista. Must use XP for flashing fun.

I think I've found the problem. I'll do a little more testing, and if everything works out I'll have the link above updated to 0.9.2 soon. We're working as fast as we can. Note that I only finished writing most of this stuff yesterday :)

I'm glad others are chiming in and I know you all are working.

Whenever I load the Harmony cart, the wizard wants drivers. I know Batari said this link: http://www.ftdichip.com/FTDrivers.htm, but which ones? I'm using XP. Thanks.

This is the link to grab: http://www.ftdichip.com/Drivers/CDM/CDM%202.04.16.exe

I'm glad others are chiming in and I know you all are working.

Whenever I load the Harmony cart, the wizard wants drivers. I know Batari said this link: http://www.ftdichip.com/FTDrivers.htm, but which ones? I'm using XP. Thanks.

I apologize, I thought there were lnks on that page. You want the VCP drivers for a FT232R chip. They are under the VCP tab. I will update the main post in a bit.

that worked for me as well,thank you.now,when i put the harmony cartridge in the atari,i get a bios error,power cycle to continue.how do i power cycle?

Power cycle = turn off, then on, your atari with the cart inserted. Do this slowly.

The bios error is a big ol' red flag. Must of missed a step. What happened when you downloaded the eeprom file to the Harmony cart? Did you get a status bar showing the progress of the download? How did the htbios transfer to your SD card go (step 2)? Was there a htbios.bin file on your SD card after the copy?

that worked for me as well,thank you.now,when i put the harmony cartridge in the atari,i get a bios error,power cycle to continue.how do i power cycle?

Power cycle = turn off, then on, your atari with the cart inserted. Do this slowly.

The bios error is a big ol' red flag. Must of missed a step. What happened when you downloaded the eeprom file to the Harmony cart? Did you get a status bar showing the progress of the download? How did the htbios transfer to your SD card go (step 2)? Was there a htbios.bin file on your SD card after the copy?

yes,it showed the progress of the download.and i also have a hbios bin file on my sd card.im not sure what went wrong.

I'm using WindowsXP sp3, I also had a problem with Harmony.exe crashing, but I rebooted Windows and everything is fine now.

Maybe you should add that Windows needs to be restarted after the drivers are installed.