IGNORED

The Official "Super Expansion Module" Thread

opcode

I don't know, I kind of agree with Joe. The project is estimated to cost $16,000. Supposing 200 units are produced, that would be $80 a piece. So that is the price I am aiming for. Supposing I get more than 150 orders but less than 200, I would pay for the rest as I know that I will probably be able to sell the remaining inventory.

Besides, take a look on how many backers the Star Castle project got. 418 is within the expected size of the 2600 homebrew market.

So I don't think using Kickstarter would make much of a difference with the SGM, and to be honest I believe it would introduce unnecessary extra costs. But I surely thank you for suggesting options.

• Like 2

Perhaps posting messages in the video game section of Craig's List might be a way to spread the word....if not for the SGM, then maybe for the Opcode Club, which in turn would tell people about the SGM...

Probably not the best place to get the word out, about anything...

Its good for what its good for (sold a car a few years back) but I don't know if you'd want to advertise something like this there. I'm sure enough of us are members of other forums and could spread the word, if need be.

You know, a single report about the SGM on slashdot.org would spark a lot of attention... I'm not sure how to make that happen though...

Maybe asking some store like GoodDealGames, Trade n Games, Atari2600.com, StoneAge Gamer etc. , if they would want to carry a small inventory of the SGM ?

Good idea. I know Good Deal Games will want to hold a small supply of the SGM, along with all games compatible with it.

Just throwing ideas out...

Perhaps posting messages in the video game section of Craig's List might be a way to spread the word....if not for the SGM, then maybe for the Opcode Club, which in turn would tell people about the SGM...

Probably not the best place to get the word out, about anything...

Its good for what its good for (sold a car a few years back) but I don't know if you'd want to advertise something like this there. I'm sure enough of us are members of other forums and could spread the word, if need be.

Maybe asking some store like GoodDealGames, Trade n Games, Atari2600.com, StoneAge Gamer etc. , if they would want to carry a small inventory of the SGM ?

That's a good idea Retroillucid and some other avenues to consider would be the more well known retro-videogame stores such as those run by Joe Santulli (Digital Press), Sean Kelly (VideoGames Then & Now) and the numerous others that are owned by the movers and shakers in the retrogaming scene. I'm sure they would only want to stock a small supply along with a supply to cover themselves and close friends and then there is always the Classic Game Expo and other retrogaming expos, but then someone will probably have to volunteer their time. Lots of avenues to explore, but in the end, the SGM will sell itself especially with all the great SGM enabled games planned for it... especially Donkey Kong Arcade.

That's a good idea Retroillucid and some other avenues to consider would be the more well known retro-videogame stores such as those run by Joe Santulli (Digital Press), Sean Kelly (VideoGames Then & Now) and the numerous others that are owned by the movers and shakers in the retrogaming scene. I'm sure they would only want to stock a small supply along with a supply to cover themselves and close friends and then there is always the Classic Game Expo and other retrogaming expos, but then someone will probably have to volunteer their time. Lots of avenues to explore, but in the end, the SGM will sell itself especially with all the great SGM enabled games planned for it... especially Donkey Kong Arcade.

If you ask me, ... This is the only way to go for this kind of project actually

I mean, set a lower pre-order price for those who... yes, pre-order the SGM , and set a slightly higher price for the retail product

Something like $10 to $15 off the retail price

Hum.... This give me idea for my own stuff :P :lol:

• Like 1

Just trowing ideas here...

$80 for those who pre-paid order for the SGM

$100 retail price, those who did not pre-order the SGM

I would even partnership with Opcode ( if needed) to include a SuperGame with the SGM

Maybe we could work something out with RollerBall ?

The more I can help with the SGM, the more I'll be happy :)

• Like 2

Maybe we could work something out with RollerBall ?

Aha, Roller Ball as a pack in game together with the SGM !, -sounds good to my ears. :music:

I was hoped to get a boxed Roller Ball without the Arcade Controller, but with the SGM is it ok. :-D

DKA will be sold separately anyway. :)

Edited by ten-four

and of course same thing is recommended for colecovision 2 more orders you got more chance you have for the project to see the light

you have the choice to 1 : deal exclusivity to one seller OR

2: looking on internet for those old games sellers OR

3: you could even have a distributor in different countries to minimise the shipping cost

Thank you, Kendal. Youtube is indeed one of the best ways to promote things.

Here is a quick update. I have placed order for board rev C (now compatible with the ADAM). Hopefully it will be the final rev. If everything goes ok with this rev, we start beta in August.

I am now free again to concentrate on games.

• Like 3

Hello I wonder if there is still place on the list to buy the Super Module in addition to the game Donkey Kong? Sorry for my English that is not perfect

Sure you can. Please go here:

http://opcodegames.com/lists/?p=subscribe

Or go to the main page and select pre-order list from there:

http://www.opcodegames.com

Thanks for joining!

• Like 1

Hello I wonder if there is still place on the list to buy the Super Module in addition to the game Donkey Kong? Sorry for my English that is not perfect

http://opcodegames.c...ts/?p=subscribe

Thanks for joining!

when I click on the link I fall on a blank page with this: ''Not set or found: Array'' Normal?

http://opcodegames.c...ts/?p=subscribe

Thanks for joining!

when I click on the link I fall on a blank page with this: ''Not set or found: Array'' Normal?

Ok, please PM me your name, email and location and I will add you. For some reason that error seems to happen a lot....

• 2 weeks later...

Guess what I just got in the mail.... yep, rev C is here.... :D

Keeping my fingers crossed that it is going to be the final rev.

So what's the verdict? Can I uncross my fingers? :)

Ok, I apologize for the lack of updates. Anyways, I have good news, rev C has checked out. We should now start beta as planned in early August.

Another news is that I got a new musician in place to help me with all the new games. Wolf, who contributed with his talent to Pac-Man Collection with his rendition of "Pac-Man Fever", couldn't commit to new assignments, so a replacement was in order. I will show some of his wonderful work soon.

Eduardo

• Like 3

Yes, you missed something...the SGM is now both ADAM and ColecoVision compatible...

Just to be sure. :)

Will all new upcoming Super Games could be plugged directly in a ADAM Memory console without a SGM.

Or will ADAM users still have to requere an SGM to play the Super Games. ?

Unless he changed something that I missed, read Post 686.

Yes, you missed something...the SGM is now both ADAM and ColecoVision compatible...

Just to be sure. :)

Will all new upcoming Super Games could be plugged directly in a ADAM Memory console without a SGM.

Or will ADAM users still have to requere an SGM to play the Super Games. ?

Unless he changed something that I missed, read Post 686.

Yes, and I apologize for all the confusion. Indeed the latest version of the SGM is fully ADAM compatible.

Now, answering ten-four's question about if you can use "Super Games" with the ADAM without the SGM, the answer is no.

Super Game isn't a generic name for every game that requires the SGM, but it is designation for SGM games that use my new cartridge PCB with advanced bank switching and save game.

So technically speaking every Super Game requires the SGM no matter what, and the reason will become clearer soon.

Now if you want to know if any game that uses the SGM indeed requires it when running on an ADAM, the answer is it depends.

Pixelboy just announced a game today that you can play on both your ADAM or CV+SGM. Requiring the SGM when running on an ADAM depends on if the game uses the SGM extra sound generator or not. If only extra RAM is required, then the game should be able to run on an regular ADAM just fine.

• Like 1