IGNORED

Prince of Persia

José Pereira

Hello.

As I said yesterday, no C64 or A8 versions of this one.

This is a traditional Jordan Mechner game... Just see the players movement on this and on Karateka.

About C64 and with it 16 colour map it could be a simple one to do. Also the Sprites to the Man/Enemy.

On A8 the things are a little bit more harder.

On a first view, it have to be in Antic4 5colour mode. If you see, most of the versions use 4/5 blue/white colours for the ground/walls. Untill here O.K. But how will you get yellow/Red colours for the Torches. The windows can be done with PMs. underlays, because they are on top of the screen and it is possible that Players don't reac there, but another ones are the Columms that support some ground floors.

The Players must/have to be PMs...

This is by now the first major problems I see on an A8 version. Another problem, not probably and if some of the coderrs here wants to explain is how the Players passes in front and behind some walls/collumms, because they use the same 2/3 colours. And this because you are using all PMs. for Players.

But it is not all bad things for A8. One thing that I am 100% sure is that C64 can not reproduce faithfully the Blue/white and yellow colours and we can.

I've been seeing all the Level stages of it on YouTube - CPC version. I think it can be a good example/hard work to port/convert this one to A8/C64.

If someone interested in discuss here how it would turn on A8, solve this and/or other problems it would be great.

This is one of the games I always llike to see on my small/GREAT Arari 800XL.

I also have the complete game Maps from Prince1 & 2, but I don't rremember where and from what computer.

Feel free to sen your suggestions/comments/ideas...

Greetintings,

José Pereira.

• Like 1

OT question:

is there an Sdrive or SIO2SD device for VCS?

The VCS doesn't have a SIO interface. If you want to develop for it you are better off ordering a Harmony Cart. See :-

http://www.atariage.com/forums/topic/144469-are-you-going-to-buy-a-harmony-cart-for-the-atari-2600/

Basically its a cart with USB and SD interfaces that allows you to develop games with up to 32K of bank switching.

OT question:

is there an Sdrive or SIO2SD device for VCS?

The VCS doesn't have a SIO interface. If you want to develop for it you are better off ordering a Harmony Cart. See :-

http://www.atariage....the-atari-2600/

Basically its a cart with USB and SD interfaces that allows you to develop games with up to 32K of bank switching.

Thank you very much!

I have missed this thread.

I will definitely buy this cart.

(I know VCS doesn't have a SIO interface, I have written SIO2SD meaning a device for SD cards) icon_smile.gif

xxl should take the bbc or apple2 version... ;)

What a shame for me. And I think I know all computer games versions from the80s.!...

BBC version? I'm looking know for it.

But without great expectations... I always remember their totally unremarkable/awnfull/unplayable Last Ninja I/II conversion...

José Pereira.

xxl should take the bbc or apple2 version... ;)

I went in many of the BBC/Electron Sites and none have Prince. One of them also have the complete games download files. As I said I never heard about a "Beeb" version.

Where do you get that?

If this exists, some screenshots, please?

Thanks,

José Pereira.

(P.S. Benfica scores 1 goal to Everton right now for Europa League. I'm not Benfica, I'm Sporting, but I'm always for Portuguese teams on foreigner games).

Apple2 version: Not a good one graphically as I suspect. 4 colour mode+torches/skin colour.

Probably using White as PF and more PMs to screen colours enhancements. In some levels its possible to put some DLIs.

Some shots:

post-6517-125623654025.jpgpost-6517-125623655007.jpgpost-6517-125623656038.jpgpost-6517-125623657984.jpgpost-6517-125623659074.jpg

post-6517-125623660133.jpgpost-6517-125623661265.jpg

And YouTube video:

prince_apple2.html

I have to go. Bye now.

José Pereira

Apple II, MS-DOS, Amstrad CPC, GB, GBC, NES, Commodore Amiga, Atari ST, ZX Spectrum, Mac OS, SNES, Mega-CD, Mega Drive, Nintendo GameCube (as a feature in Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time), XBLA, PSN

According to wikipedia anyway... I certainly don't remember a beeb version.

Pete

not sure regarding bbc either... could be wrong memory... ;)

i wasn't aware of one and Stairway to Hell isn't listing it; that's not totally definitive but as close as any Beeb site gets. There's a (relatively) recent Spectrum version, though...

Edited by TMR

I recall I mentioned recently here on AA that the AppleII PoP would be a good one to port. I didn't know that there was a BBC version too.

PS. José: Benfica should easily take Everton :)

Hello all, here I am again.

No, the Apple2 isn't a good port. We don't need that lot of dithering.

I tried this picture today. It can be a good 1st try concept:

post-6517-12563151705_thumb.png

I done it using G2F. I used priority 8 and PM0 to our man and PM1 to enemy's clothe.

PF0/1 for the walls in front of Players.

PF2/3 & Backgr. for back walls.

PM2/3 to other screen objects:

-Razors on the Floor.

-Candles- You see two colours on the two candles, but can be only 1PM, one shines first then off and shines the other.

Or, You can use, for example M2&M3 (Yellow/Red) for one and then off and turn the other on. Just on/off the candles.

Other Screen Objects/other Levels - PM2/3 to some walls/Windows and yellowish pillars.

Enemy's Clothe is PM1 and our man's bODY it's PM0 as I said. The other parts of the Body and Weapon can be PF0-Lightest Gray/White (what you see on Enemy's Clothe). I simulate our man on that large cell as PM0 using Priority8 and the only major problem is that you see a little part of it on some lines of front walls, as you can see. But here, I think it's time to some coders here say something.

Just a little play with this one.

Greetings,

José Pereira.

most difficult thing in POP - fight sequence, AI opponet, graphics above underground level

solution, remove all opponents, create own Atari 8-bit POP version, only jump, walk, collect energy, keys, switch on/off gate etc. create new 8-bit POP with new idea, if you want play original POP play on PC,ST,Amiga etc.

I should really have a look at the Apple II version under emulation, I've only seen the AppleII game very briefly on YouTube clips which graphically it didn't look un-doable however that's only a small part of the task, if the logic is a particularly difficult one as suggested with the AI, that's the big question. I had a look at Jordan Mechner's website last night where he's included his notes from the original Apple II game in a pdf which I've attached. He's open to questions so you might be able to quiz him further about it.

popsource009.pdf

Edited by Tezz

Jose, If I remember - You tried write LN II. Any progres of it? Or other project.

Wish list of conversions for Atari is long, belive me.

The Last Ninja idea is not lost. I'm still with it (not LN2, 1 first, but also seen 2).

The major problem is to get the priorities between walking of Player and Enemy).

My idea is based on a thing I've put on another Thread some days ago: "Designing a Sotware Sprite". If you can go there and understand what I'm saying about that PF2 thing, and if that work, then, the Players movement is now O.K. And I know wich colours and how many PMs. I can use to screen colour enhancements.

I can start converting some screens, having PM0/1 for Players, and 2static colours(PF0/1) for Players (in all the Game), and I saw and tried and it will work with DLIs./PM2&3/PM0/1 in lines when Players don't get into.

I have been also with problems on the right Status Panel and have not decide: How will I put the Objects on the "Found/Using & Holding" Area because I cannot waste here any PMs., but once more I get 2solutions(one use this side to this with a little trick and the other use this right side to other things).

The screens translated are simple, just time needed (and I am with some problems on my life now...). But, first I have to get 100% the right way to do Players movement, because in my idea I think I'll have to use 1P(M) for our Ninja and other P(M) for Enemy clothe. It's here the big problem, how one sometime has priority and other time don't. I've tried and thinked with all priorities/5th Player and the only thing that can work is like I say on that other Thread. If this idea work than all Players for LN1/2/3/... are O.K. If you want to help, please go there.

Greetings.

José Pereira.