IGNORED

Galaga For Atari 2600

seanhq

Is there a work around for the player only being able to have one missile on the screen at a time? To me that is the first thing you would have to solve, having multiple missiles on the screen at once. And I'm not sure that the 2600 truly has the horsepower to keep up with the speed of Galaga.

Simple. Use the ball sprite for the player bullet (sprite duplication); missiles for the enemy bullets, which are less likely to be on the same line. Ball sprite stays solid, however the player missiles (enemy bullets) may change colors during descent depending what's onscreen. As long as all of the sprite colors are bright, that shouldn't be an issue. As for CPU time to handle the changes onscreen, the DCP+ ARM takes care of all of it.

Wowzers. MAKE IT HAPPEN! :o

Thanks! Nathan did an awesome job with the mockup, I only had to drop the images in my converter, paste the output into the 128 pixel demo, then make a few minor changes so they'd show up.

I'm almost out of room in the 128 pixel demo, so am going to have to split it out into a new project before I can do anything else with it. Like my other arcade ports, I need to come up with a new name:

Anybody have suggestions?

I'm also digging the Gameboy-like blue monocrome. :thumbsup:

Thanks! Monochrome is a limitation of the 128 pixel kernel, I went with blue as the flicker's less noticeable on my C= 1084S. I do plan to make the color end-user selectable as different colors may look better depending upon the display.

I might be able to pull off a static color overlay like the old b&w arcade games used:

post-2641-0-81670900-1484801922.gif

but that'll require the kernel loop to be unrolled. As they fly around they'd change color, so the aliens would only look correct when in formation or at the tractor beam spot.

• Like 8

Like my other arcade ports, I need to come up with a new name:

Galaga -> Cicadas. We have these things down south, and the Galaga insects always looked like cicadas to me...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cicada

• Like 7

Galaga -> Cicadas. We have these things down south, and the Galaga insects always looked like cicadas to me...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cicada

Sounds promising...

We have them here, though they're not the same as in other parts of the country - Loud cicadas steer clear of Houston

...for reasons likely related to climate, Merchant said, the 17-year cicadas just don't like Texas.

...Texas has its own 40 or so native species of cicadas, about a half-dozen of which emerge each summer in the Houston area.

He said this group of native, annual cicadas are called dog-day cicadas because they emerge in the dog days of summer and when Sirius, the Dog Star, is in the sky.

• Like 2

Thanks! Nathan did an awesome job with the mockup, I only had to drop the images in my converter, paste the output into the 128 pixel demo, then make a few minor changes so they'd show up.

I'm almost out of room in the 128 pixel demo, so am going to have to split it out into a new project before I can do anything else with it. Like my other arcade ports, I need to come up with a new name:

Here are a few names I came up with:

Galagian (a mix of Galaga & Galaxian)

Galactic Defcon

Galactic Defender

Galaxy Invaders

Galaxy Quest

Got stuck on "Gala" since the original titles started that way. Let me know what you think!

• Like 1

Sounds promising... We have them here, though they're not the same as in other parts of the country - Loud cicadas steer clear of Houston

How about "Cicadian"? The backstory could be about a horde of intergalactic cicadas that come out of hibernation every 17 years and try to invade Earth.

Or maybe it could be called "Cicadian Rhythm" if a musical note played every time you shot a cicada. :)

• Like 2

Cicada (singular) sounds good to me. Same number of letters as Galaga, and it would be pretty easy to convert the Galaga logo into it.

Like so...

attachicon.gifCicada-logo.jpg

(Yes... it's a little sloppy. But no point in spending much time on it while it's still speculative.)

Been thinking the same myself on the singular with it's similarities to Galaga.

While I'm leaning towards that, I plan to decide on the name tomorrow when I set up the project - so keep the suggestions coming :)

• Like 2

Space Mayhem? ;)

• Like 1

or as a reverance to Syzygy:

Gylygy

I like Gylygy, mainly because 1) it would look cool on a logo and 2) it's non-obvious how to pronounce it, so you have to think about it for a minute.

(I'm thinking it sounds something like Gilligan. Which is also a point in its favor. ;) )

• Like 2

Sounds promising...

We have them here, though they're not the same as in other parts of the country - Loud cicadas steer clear of Houston

Most of the broods that appear in Texas/Arkansas/Louisiana/Mississippi areas are of the 13-year variety. And yes, there are the annual species that appear every year too. I used to have a fairly large collection of "locust shells" when I was a kid. I think my mom finally threw them all away when I was a teen... :P

Sometimes even as an adult, I'll see a shell hanging on a fence or piece of tree bark and attach it to my shirt below my left collar like some kind of brooch. I've gotten some interesting looks/comments in the past while wearing locust shells as it is a rather odd choice of fashion accessory.

Cicada (singular) sounds good to me. Same number of letters as Galaga, and it would be pretty easy to convert the Galaga logo into it.

Like so...

(Yes... it's a little sloppy. But no point in spending much time on it while it's still speculative.)

That's Awesome! :lust:

Like so...

It ends in a "A" like Galaga... I love it!!

• Like 2

Made a few changes to the demo, reply #79, which uncovered some major shortcomings to using the 128 pixel display for an action game.

If you have a Harmony Cart please try it out and let me know what you think.

Tried it on the AFP... LOL!

I ordered the Harmony Encore so will give it a try soon.

• Like 1