JU-ON: The Grudge

9 replies to this topic

#1 Amy01 OFFLINE  

Amy01

Combat Commando

• 1 posts

Posted Fri Oct 23, 2009 3:47 AM

Has anyone seen or played this yet?

There’s some great footage via infra red camera of guys playing this game in Japan!

For more info about the EU release click on the banner below, it should take you to the RSG website;
Posted Image

#2 Cybergoth OFFLINE  

Cybergoth

Quadrunner

• 8,550 posts
  • This is Sparta!

Posted Fri Oct 23, 2009 3:55 AM

Oh, what a niece piece of viral marketing! Thank heavens it's on-topic here and we're fans of Rising Star Games anyway ;)

#3 Warriorisabouttodie OFFLINE  

Warriorisabouttodie

Stargunner

• 1,055 posts

Posted Fri Oct 23, 2009 10:50 AM

I've played it. I made it through the first episode. I wouldn't put much stock in the reviews. They don't like the controls, but they "don't get" this kind of game. It's slow and kind of plodding, but it's not supposed to be a FPS it's a 3d puzzle game and it is scary in a horror movie jump out at you kind of way, not give you nightmares scary. Anyway not sure this game would appeal to everyone, but I imagine the people here on Atari Age would be more open to it compared to your average gamer these days.

Edited by Warriorisabouttodie, Fri Oct 23, 2009 10:54 AM.

#4 Ze_ro OFFLINE  

Ze_ro

Quadrunner

• 8,511 posts
  • Welcome Back!

Posted Sat Oct 24, 2009 12:05 PM

This game looked kind of interesting, and definitely unique... but with so many negative reviews, I think I'll wait for a price drop or something.

--Zero

#5 Warriorisabouttodie OFFLINE  

Warriorisabouttodie

Stargunner

• 1,055 posts

Posted Sat Oct 24, 2009 4:16 PM

This game looked kind of interesting, and definitely unique... but with so many negative reviews, I think I'll wait for a price drop or something.

--Zero

Not for nothing, but haven't you realized yet that almost every game released for the Wii has some kind of negative undertone in the review?

#6 vdub_bobby OFFLINE  

vdub_bobby

Quadrunner

• 5,831 posts
  • Boom bam.

Posted Sun Oct 25, 2009 2:33 PM

--Zero

Not for nothing, but haven't you realized yet that almost every game released for the Wii has some kind of negative undertone in the review?

I tend to agree, I think Wii games are knocked off 1/2 a point (on a ten point scale) as a matter of course just for not being HD, and there are some sites/mags that consistently underrate Wii games.

But you have to do a lot of fudging and adjusting to a 41%.

#7 Warriorisabouttodie OFFLINE  

Warriorisabouttodie

Stargunner

• 1,055 posts

Posted Sun Oct 25, 2009 3:23 PM

--Zero

I tend to agree, I think Wii games are knocked off 1/2 a point (on a ten point scale) as a matter of course just for not being HD, and there are some sites/mags that consistently underrate Wii games.

But you have to do a lot of fudging and adjusting to a 41%.

I'm glad I'm not the only one who has noticed the Wii bias and you are right, the 10% off because the Wii is not "cool" or doesn't have HD doesn't condemn a game, but this game is unique and has a unique control scheme with a much slower pace than your average modern gamer is used too. Anotherwords you either get what they were going for in this game or you don't. I think most reviewers don't get it, that said most of the people that read the reviews probably wouldn't get it either, so in a round about way they are doing right by their readers.

I liked it, but I am open to new and old ideas whether they be in game play, pacing, story, control etc YMMV.

Edited by Warriorisabouttodie, Sun Oct 25, 2009 3:26 PM.

#8 xg4bx OFFLINE  

xg4bx

River Patroller

• 2,777 posts
  • it stinks!

Posted Mon Oct 26, 2009 1:11 AM

i played it sunday night and enjoyed it. it bills itself as a "haunted house experience", not the ultimate in survival horror, so i don't know what reviewers were expecting. its fun and it genuinely creeped me out a few times.

i understand that not every game can be bought on a whim, but if i listened to reviews and only bought what they consider good, id have missed out on a ton of enjoyable games.

#9 moycon OFFLINE  

moycon

Quadrunner

• 21,275 posts
  • moycon?? What the hell is that??

Posted Tue Oct 27, 2009 7:28 PM

Snag this today for $17 off Amazon Gold Box deals.
Looking forward to giving it a try. Looks pretty creepy!

#10 SpendTooMuchOnAtari OFFLINE  

SpendTooMuchOnAtari

River Patroller

• 4,695 posts
  • Dust Collector Extraordinaire

Posted Fri Jan 27, 2012 10:02 AM

I know I'm bringing back a very old thread but I just discovered this game on a recent visit to my local Game Stop. I was there to get Bejeweled 3 for my PS3 when I decided to check out the used Wii section. I really like the Ju-On movies and couldn't believe my eyes when I saw it on the shelf. The game was over-priced and in poor cosmetic condition so I didn't pick it up at Game Stop. When I got home, I checked Amazon and saw it was only $16.99 so I bought it right away. I just received it in the mail and can't wait to play it with my kids this weekend...at night, with all the lights off. I didn't read any reviews about it so have no expectations. I'm just surprised they made a video game based on a horror movie as most movie games are based on kids flicks. I can't think of another game based on a horror movie, can you? Oh wait, I think they made a "Saw" game but I don't know if I really consider that a horror movie.

I'm fighting the urge to just pop it in now and try it out but I want to play the first time with my 11 year old son and 16 year old daughter

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users