IGNORED

Trakball Games for the 400/800/XE?

4Ks

I don't think Centipede and Ballblazer support it.

Sure, they (or any) game will work with it in "joystick" mode, but why bother with the work of rolling the ball if NO precision/speed control?

As far as I know, there are no other commercial games (than Missile Command). I "invested" in a new one just the other day "for the collection" and because A8 Missile Command is still one of my favorite games on the system, IF played with the trak-ball.

I suppose there may be some 3rd party and/or later-released games. I wonder if any of the 5200 conversions use it? They sold an enormous 5200 trackball; surely some of those games supported it and perhaps they were later converted?

I, too, am curious about this, but I am prepared to be disappointed.

Well,

here is what I have so far...

Trackball:

- Catch 88 (PD) by Simon Trew

- Final Legacy (and the prototype The Legacy) by Atari;

note: according to the original manual, only the sea-to air mode supports

the TB or a mouse, the rest of the game requires a joystick

- Hardware-Tester by F. Dingler

- KK / Kriss Kross (PD) by Simon Trew

- Knight (PD) by Simon Trew

- Missile Command by Atari, press Control-T to activate Trackball mode

- Multi-Mouse Management (PD) by Simon Trew

- Othello (PD) by Simon Trew

- Slime by Synapse, press Control-T or [T] to activate Trackball mode

(well, the manual says press [T], I guess this means Control-T,

since I do not have a TB I cannot test it)

Regarding Millipede or Centipede, if you use the TB in TB-mode, these games do not react at all, so they seem only to work with the TB in joystick mode (but to me that does not count as TB then; above games all work with the TB in tb-mode). Most games by Simon Trew use drivers from his multi-mouse management, since this program assumes a mouse (or a different controller e.g. a trackball, a touch tablet, a joystick) in port 2, all games that are using these drivers do also require a controller in port 2...

All of the above programs (and many more!) can also be used with an ST-mouse, so I would buy an ST or compatible mouse instead of the TB, except you already have a TB. -Andreas Koch.

• Like 1

Pete and I Just finished working on an 8-bit cartridge version of the 5200 centipede and we added Trackball support to it. We're calling Centipede Arcade. It's a 16k Cart and it works on the atari 400, 800, 600xl, 800xl, and so on up.

It works great. Video61 has the carts for Sale. =)

just email lance at Video61 to order one. =)

( video61@tcq.net )

Make sure The Word "Atari" is in the subject line and just ask for the 8-bit version of centipede 5200.

Pete and I Just finished working on an 8-bit cartridge version of the 5200 centipede and we added Trackball support to it. We're calling Centipede Arcade. It's a 16k Cart and it works on the atari 400, 800, 600xl, 800xl, and so on up.

( video61@tcq.net )

Make sure The Word "Atari" is in the subject line and just ask for the 8-bit version of centipede 5200.

Hi Sal - Can't see any info on Lance's page and getting server reset from the Atlantis Games page. Any more info on Centipede Arcade? Screenshots?

( video61@tcq.net )

Hi Sal - Can't see any info on Lance's page and getting server reset from the Atlantis Games page. Any more info on Centipede Arcade? Screenshots?

Lance's Page doesn't have any info on it yet. just email him. he has it and he will respond. =)

Here are some screen shots:

We've played trakball supporting Millipede in the HSC recently! Also checkout the Atari 8-bit FAQ :)

Well,

I checked the A8FAQ (guess who wrote most of the controller x support entries there) and Millipede is not mentioned as a game that supports trackball. Besides I once tested Millipede and Centipede with the newer trackball at a friend and as said before, in tb-mode the games did not react at all, with tb in joystick-mode they were somehow playable (but not as well as with a joystick)... -Andreas Koch.

Edited by CharlieChaplin

We've played trakball supporting Millipede in the HSC recently! Also checkout the Atari 8-bit FAQ :)

Well,

I checked the A8FAQ (guess who wrote most of the controller x support entries there) and Millipede is not mentioned as a game that supports trackball. Besides I once tested Millipede and Centipede with the newer trackball at a friend and as said before, in tb-mode the games did not react at all, with tb in joystick-mode they were somehow playable (but not as well as with a joystick)... -Andreas Koch.

On the back of the Millipede box (in front of me) it says "... Even use your TRAK-BALL controller for a quicker assault on those bothersome bugs!" However, I'm pretty sure it only works in Joystick mode. The instructions say "Plug a joystick or TRAK-BALL controller into controller jack 1 ..." There is no mention of setting the trackball mode or any kind of key combo to enable the trackball a la Missile Command.

Does the trackball really work in TB mode? I'm sure I tried it and it didn't but then again I have so much going on in my brain right now I could be wrong :dunce:

Edited by spookt

( video61@tcq.net )

Lance's Page doesn't have any info on it yet. just email him. he has it and he will respond. =)

Here are some screen shots:

<snip>

Thanks Sal. I love Centipede so I think I'll be in touch with Lance. Might have to wait for next month though :(

Well,

On the back of the Millipede box (in front of me) it says "... Even use your TRAK-BALL controller for a quicker assault on those bothersome bugs!" However, I'm pretty sure it only works in Joystick mode. The instructions say "Plug a joystick or TRAK-BALL controller into controller jack 1 ..." There is no mention of setting the trackball mode or any kind of key combo to enable the trackball a la Missile Command.

Does the trackball really work in TB mode? I'm sure I tried it and it didn't but then again I have so much going on in my brain right now I could be wrong :dunce:

Yes it (only) works in joystick mode, but the point is it's highly playable with the trak-ball (well I came 6th or 7th so maybe not ;) ) as are I guess are other games of this type where you just need to move around a defined area quickly... I wonder about things like Robotron 2084 :ponder: It might be a laugh trying to play something totally unsuitable like Bounty Bob Strikes Back with it and see if I can make the first screen :D

Yes it (only) works in joystick mode, but the point is it's highly playable with the trak-ball (well I came 6th or 7th so maybe not ;) ) as are I guess are other games of this type where you just need to move around a defined area quickly... I wonder about things like Robotron 2084 :ponder: It might be a laugh trying to play something totally unsuitable like Bounty Bob Strikes Back with it and see if I can make the first screen :D

I think the OP was looking for "real" trackball games if you like. I guess you can say every game is "compatible" if you have the TB in joystick mode. I agree it might be interesting to play some other games with it. It would certainlty add some new challenge to some old favourites :) Perhaps I could petition for a "TrackBall handicap" to be applied to some of the better players in the HSC - I might actually have a chance then ;-)

I think the OP was looking for "real" trackball games if you like. I guess you can say every game is "compatible" if you have the TB in joystick mode. I agree it might be interesting to play some other games with it. It would certainlty add some new challenge to some old favourites :) Perhaps I could petition for a "TrackBall handicap" to be applied to some of the better players in the HSC - I might actually have a chance then ;-)

But it still plays great with the T-ball... I scored 308K with it and you scored 94K without it so it must sorta work [ouch] ;) I'm gonna play robotron and a few others to see how it gets on... wonder what others might play ok :?: hey mite work for current HSC game Tapper as that's fairly frantic and has continual top/bottom movement :?:

Edited by therealbountybob

Ok I player Tapper with the T-Ball, general moving and serving was ok, got to level 9, but making sure you only went L or R and not diagonal was tricky when collecting the empties! Much better result playing Robotron 2084 and better still with Arena, (the version of Arena like Robotron that is) was even better as it had faster movement. So there are other games that are good to play with the T-Ball, probably those with fastish movement so the player keeps up with the rolling of the ball, and that are not too reliant on accurate movement... hmmm Berzerk maybe? Any other suggestions :?:

Ok I player Tapper with the T-Ball, general moving and serving was ok, got to level 9, but making sure you only went L or R and not diagonal was tricky when collecting the empties! Much better result playing Robotron 2084 and better still with Arena, (the version of Arena like Robotron that is) was even better as it had faster movement. So there are other games that are good to play with the T-Ball, probably those with fastish movement so the player keeps up with the rolling of the ball, and that are not too reliant on accurate movement... hmmm Berzerk maybe? Any other suggestions :?:

Hmm, never thought of Arena. I love that game. Time to break out the TB I think :)

The Arena was the original or '3000' version, I found the '6000' or Arena II version ("modified by Rob.C") on another disk but this was too fast to play with the T-Ball.

Anyway check this out, it's awesome with the Trak-Ball; I wasn't sure about this game before as it didn't seem to involve you as the player but having to spin that ball madly somehow makes it much better BLASTER

On my unit only the left button works, is this normal :?:

If you were in any doubt 4Ks then this game should encourage you to get one!

Game On :D

• 3 weeks later...

Another couple of games that play well with the Trak-Ball are Novagen's Encounter and Thorn EMI's Computer War.

Dimension X is okish too, just gotta roll into the tunnel!

Still think that Williams's Blaster is the most awesome Trak-Ball game, hope we'll play this in the HSC next season.

Game on ;)

Edited by therealbountybob

• 8 years later...

Sorry to bump this old thread. I noticed that Centipede received an Update with Trak Ball mode. Have any other games received the same treatment over the years besides the 2600 versions?

There's also a Millipede hack/rewrite floating around somewhere too I think, but it's not as fast/fluid as the back-port of 5200 Centipede to the 8-bits. Hopefully my memory isn't wrong about this though, since I can't find it with a quick skim through my Atari files … :ponder:

• Like 1

I love playing Yoomp! and Trailblazer with a TB, it works great on both and just seems right since you are controlling balls with balls! (in joystick mode on the TB of course)

Edited by Gunstar
  • Like 2