IGNORED

Vector game appreciation thread

DaveD

There was something about vector games back in the day that really just drew me in. They somehow seemed more vibrant, detailed, faster-playing and hi-tech to me.

As much as I liked the original Asteroids, the deluxe version offered some cool options and featured the cool background graphics. If I had to pick a single favorite this would probably be it although I confess others probably offered better and more varied gameplay.

What were your favorites? Bonus points for images.

astdxblur.png

This is easy for me. Currently own a fully restored Asteroids UR, so that'd be on the top 5 for me. Asteroids Deluxe does not hold the same appeal (don't like the pizza slices that follow you, lack of hyperspace, changed sounds & reversed AI for the saucers), but I do like the cabinet, artwork, bezel and blue overlay :-)

Let's see here... Tac-Scan is excellent ...as is Zektor, Space War, Star Trek, Space Duel, Boxing Bugs, Black Widow and Tempest of course ;-)

All of these can be researched on klov.com, but here is a rare game that deserves a little more exposure: Boxing Bugs (I loved this game back in the day)

post-13896-125744446006_thumb.png

There is something about the vector graphics that makes outer space believable in Asteroids. Perhaps the simplicity of black and white giving a feel of cold and distant space...

That was my first favorite and when I think back to playing it, I am reminded of another favorite of the time. Battlestar Galactica. Remember the generic radar screen image featured on that show? The classic original, not the new one. It was a vector display with triangle-shaped ships very similar to Asteroids. On some level I wonder if I got into the game even more because it was kind of like being able to control the action depicted on that high tech, futuristic display.

Also lets not forget Battlezone. I have a mini cab that was made in Ireland. The coin insert says 50p

Battlezone.gif

There was a Cabaret Battlezone in the arcade in my hometown in Ireland.It looked fabulous in the

little dark room in the Back of the arcade all lit up.The 50p slot on your unit would have been

for 3 Plays.It would have been 2 x 10p a single play.

Edited by Bountybob

• 3 weeks later...

Also lets not forget Battlezone. I have a mini cab that was made in Ireland. The coin insert says 50p

Battlezone.gif

There was a Cabaret Battlezone in the arcade in my hometown in Ireland.It looked fabulous in the

little dark room in the Back of the arcade all lit up.The 50p slot on your unit would have been

for 3 Plays.It would have been 2 x 10p a single play.

Interesting to know. I have never used a coin in it, just flip the lever on the side of the coin mech,essentially free play. I can post a pic if you are interested.

Even though it's relatively simple in comparison to some of those listed, there's something really cool about Solar Quest. Kind of a plussed up Space War, or dumbed down Asteroids, the gameplay is simple but ramps up nicely. There may not be a lot of variation in play but discovering new bad guys each level can be cool. Also another game that really benefits from the overlay. Not as detailed as Asteroids Deluxe or other overlays, it does do a good job of enhancing the play and mood with the simple neon starscape.

solarqblur.png

Star Castle: I sucked at this game, but enjoyed the original concept.

Space War: love that gravity sling and 2 player on-screen action.

Asteroids Deluxe: I actually like the shields instead of hyperspace. It takes out the randomness and puts my fate entirely in my hands.

Battlezone: everything about this game made it feel like a military simulator. Brilliant!

Red Baron: Battlezone in the air! What's not to love?

Black Widow: nice take on robotron! Loved blasting those bugs and pushing the eggs off the web.

Major Havoc: this game has a bit of everything in it!

There was a 2 player game from Atari (I think) with 2 knights in a top view sword fight. It was very original. Anybody recall the name of that one?

There was a 2 player game from Atari (I think) with 2 knights in a top view sword fight. It was very original. Anybody recall the name of that one?

That was Warrior from Cinematronics.

Totally agree about the shield/hyperspace too. In theory hyperspace was kinda cool but in reality it was only used when things got really bad. And then you run the risk of things getting even worse if you used it so I avoided it. The shield was really cool since it allowed you to bounce around. And in certain situations it would bounce you around until you got sandwiched between rocks and crushed but it was more fun and "realistic."

I absolutely love Omega Race, but that's probably because it's the first machine I was able to get my hands on. Also have an Asteroids Deluxe and a Tempest in the garage. I'm really hoping my friend will get tired of his Star Wars and will want to sell it soon, I have a special spot reserved for it. :)

Star Castle, Armor Attack and Rip Off! I've always been fascinated by the Cinematronics TTL-based main board and how they continued making games on this NON-microprocessor based hardware until 1982. Cinematronics and Atari were the top two Vector game producers back in the day. Emulators just don't do any of these vector games justice. IMHO, Star Castle, in particular, really sucks on MAME. Animation of the player's ship is extremely jerky as it moves across the screen, single points are so tiny and dim you can hardly see them, the star field is practically invisible and DOES NOT TWINKLE!!, no ring regeneration sound effect, blue color of overlay is wrong (should be more cyan and lighter), overlay itself does not look correct.. I think I need to write a dedicated Star Castle emulator lol.

Earth-Friend-Mission, Tac-Scan, Tempest

Earth-Friend-Mission? I can't find much info on that other than:

Earth Friend (Midway [prototype], 83) spacer.gif mostwanted_icon.gif

A prototype color vector game designed at DNA, rework of B&W vector project called "Astro Friend". Also known as "Earth, Friend, Mission" According to Rotheblog, it was a rework of a prototype version of Tron.

From the sire unMAMEd.

unMAMEd

P.S. I just looked up your original post where you mentioned 7 of these cabs being test marketed in Chicago. You wouldn't happen to know where I can find any pics game/cab?