IGNORED

2 worthy video game podcasts

S1500

Too bad- Xybots episode was by far the best. As you know from this topic, I didnt much care for the early sleep-inducing, low-interest shows.

Bitmob Mobcast was also by far the best in awhile- total retro-themed show this time! Discussion of PRE-NES games/consoles, so no Final Fantasy or Modern Warfare talk BS.

Oh yeah, the Retroist does a Zork show this time, but piles on the weird bleepy-bloopy bumper chiptunes, very frequently. Those really bug me.

AND, I recently discovred I can watch youtube videos on my DirecTV satellite setup. I think you need a DVR & for some reason I cant REW or FFWD :( . Now, I said some pages back I dont care for youtube over podcasts, & that will remain the case, but I must admit to watching each ep. of "Game Chasers" & Starcade clips on youtube the past few days.

Edited by RJ

wow Retronauts- seriously What the F-CK WAS THAT??? anyone make it thru that mess to find out if it was worth it?

"Hey let's upload a tinny, unlistenable audio file & call it a bootleg! Hyuk snicker snicker"

I hope no one had that show on 2 strikes, that would've been it for me. Honestly, some people's kids...I guess the latest excellent Mobcast made up for it.

Edited by RJ

Man, you guys are digging on Retronauts pretty hard. I still like it quite a bit, and though they do talk about FF on occasion, it does only feel like an occasional thing to me.

Have you guys listened to the Famicom Dojo podcast? Not really a lot of pre-NES/Famicom stuff, but they do know what they're talking about, and they're a lot of fun to listen to. And they stick to the topic instead of going off on youtube nonsense or whatever it is that destroyed the potential of All-Gen Gamers.

Have you guys listened to the Famicom Dojo podcast? Not really a lot of pre-NES/Famicom stuff, but they do know what they're talking about, and they're a lot of fun to listen to. And they stick to the topic instead of going off on youtube nonsense or whatever it is that destroyed the potential of All-Gen Gamers.

It seemed like Retronauts talk was 90% final fantasy, 10% obscure japanese RPGs only they have played stateside. Too much inside references to the point they are only entertaining to themselves. Wow, you worked at a video game news website. Which site is that one? Because there's like 10000000000 video game "news" websites out there. That's like bragging you work at a kid's geocities page.

I'll give Famicom Dojo podcast a try tomorrow at work. Most likely winamp's terrible podcast search engine won't have it. And when I find it, winamp will randomly stop the podcast when I'm listening to half way.

I'll give you that they do name drop a bit, I really don't agree that it's as bad as you suggest. Not to be outright defensive, but they do have some published works on the subject, something that I certainly can't claim for myself. The good news with Retronauts is that it is very easy to skip over the subjects you don't care about and only listen to the specific ones you take interest in.

But hey, in the end, you like what you like, and our discussions here will hopefully inform someone who is looking to find a good retro game podcast find the one they like best.

So was I the only one who got a bad sound-quality podcast from Retronauts? I could barely make out the intro voice, & listened to a few other spots later to ensure the whole thing was like that.

I like Retronauts, but this past "bootleg" ep. was unacceptable (did they get any neg. feedback on it?) Theyve done better shows, some early stuff is great. Im always eager/looking for quality podcasts to hear, but when a fluke ep. like that comes along- well, there's really no excuse.

Here's an update of my usual listening:

radio Free Nintendo

The Retroist

Retrogaming Roundup

Gameroom Junkies

Silverball podcast

AllGen Gamers

Mobcast (once a month now)

Classic L337 (on the bubble)

Mondo Coolcast

Retronauts

Edited by RJ
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Retro League celebrated their 100th show, they called it listener appreciation but it wasnt too spectacular, nothing special, just their usual low-key approach.

& hey whats w/ Critical Failure panning them on MondoCoolcast? RL has him as a guest, then he's nailing them on Jerry Terrifying. I realize Jerry has a gang of followers & his guests take on his characteristics, but dont be a hater Crit! We dont need in-fighting in the podcast community. One Jerry Terrifying is enough.

& my iTunes stopped updating classicL337, since I havent listened to any new episodes (though its SUPPOSED to automatically d/l new ones). I chose not to update it.

Edited by RJ

• 3 weeks later...

Retro League celebrated their 100th show, they called it listener appreciation but it wasnt too spectacular, nothing special, just their usual low-key approach.

& hey whats w/ Critical Failure panning them on MondoCoolcast? RL has him as a guest, then he's nailing them on Jerry Terrifying. I realize Jerry has a gang of followers & his guests take on his characteristics, but dont be a hater Crit! We dont need in-fighting in the podcast community. One Jerry Terrifying is enough.

Huh strange. What episode was this? I enjoyed the side-podcast that is the Beastcast. Episode 4 was good, and he wants me to a be a guest on his show.

Well it was maybe 3 Coolcasts ago, back around the end of Sept, the last time CF was a guest on the little group segment- I think retrokaiser was on too. CF mentioned he was a guest on Retro League, & they went into a little teasing of the Retro League podcast. Nothing major, only went on a few minutes (you may have missed it if you werent really listening) but it seemed very two-faced of CF. Though I understand Jerry dislikes "rival" podcasts & also his little pessimist posse all have the same hive mentality. Wow I hate that one guy who repeatedly says "...& shit" or "... or whatever." He did recently tell a good story of being assaulted & having a camera broken.

That said, I feel Retro League is way beyond Mondo Coolcast regarding quality & content. I listen to both, but forced to choose, Retro League all the way hands down.

I'll be a bit more leery of hosts' game recommendations from now on- there was a pinball themed implantGamers awhile back & someone said they liked SNES Super Pinball: Behind the Mask. Grabbed it last week, very mediocre game.

Sorry to hear you didn't enjoy it! :(

I'd like to say though, thank you for listening. It's not often we hear any sort of feedback about the show, so for that, thank you. :)

Edited by Austin

I finally heard Jerry's cast that you were talking about. Yeah, they were mainly ranking on Dalimar, but said some not-so-nice things about The Retro League.

But if I was to say I have never ripped on a podcast, I would be the biggest hypocrite ever. There's pages of me trashing podcasts left & right. Heh.

I think now Critical Failure has been a guest on every podcast out there now, involving retro games. He's the Charles Nelson Reilley of Match Game 78, etc.

Things in podcast land have been ho-hum lately. We had a surge a bit, but then nah.

• Like 1

@Austin: maybe my views have been skewed by newer pinball games like "pinball hall of fame Williams" & the Ancients Beckon $5 DSi downloadable. Even Jaguar Pinball Fantasies was more enjoyable, & it had 4 tables (but I didnt like million $$$ game show). Super Pinball: BTM has some creepy imagery, & the voice EFX was poor. "Wanna play again?" then it kicks you out to the title screen :ponder:

Hey how about some new episodes? I like implantGamers, you discuss the Jaguar w/out bashing it! Is your co-host done go-karting yet??

Edited by RJ

RJ, I completely understand. Everyone's views and tastes are different, but that's the nature of the beast, I suppose! :)

I do know from first-hand experience that going back to something old after playing something much newer and better (Pinball Hall of Fame games) doesn't help at all. I was surprised I even enjoyed BTM, as I discovered it after becoming addicted to the Williams Pinball Hall of Fame. I think one of the reasons it attracted me was that it plays much like the pinball games Kaze released on the Saturn after BTM, Last Gladiators and Necronomicon, both I was playing at that time as well, and I really like how they pulled off the realistically-modeled tables with the cool dot matrix display effects as well. I thought it was pretty neat for something released in '93 or '94, and was at least a better effort than the ports of Pinball Fantasies or Pinball Dreams to the SNES (neither can touch the original computer versions or the Jaguar port of Fantasies, which I agree is excellent!). :)

As far as some new episodes, we were due to start up again this month once Kris's life settled down. I haven't heard from him in a few weeks though unfortunately, so it's possible he hasn't even gotten his internet connection back up and running yet. My guess is we may have to push the next "season" to a tentative November timeframe.

I'm going to unsubscribe from Classic 31337. There is no classic content any more. There just isn't anything classic. I don't do modern gaming podcasts.

Now You're Playing With Podcasts - 6 minutes into it. I don't mind the swearing. After Jerry Terrifying, any other podcast has less swearing than his. First segment is tales of working at a video game shop, and it's fun to hear. Will subscribe. B+(pending)

D/loading NYPWP right now! Was this also posted over on DP?

Exellent work by Retronauts on their 2+ hr Silent Hill episode. Almost makes up for the shitty poor quality one awhile back. Only minor gripe is the SH "expert" on the phone couldve been louder, but no biggie. Great work guys. I think in another host's hands (i.e. NOT Parrish's) Retronauts could get back to good.

Edited by RJ
  • Like 1

Exellent work by Retronauts on their 2+ hr Silent Hill episode. Almost makes up for the shitty poor quality one awhile back. Only minor gripe is the SH "expert" on the phone couldve been louder, but no biggie. Great work guys. I think in another host's hands (i.e. NOT Parrish's) Retronauts could get back to good.

Are you referring to THIS?:

Retronauts Live Episode 26

http://www.1up.com/do/minisite?cId=3156908

I ask because it is listed as Length: 1:30:03 not over 2hrs, I would like to check out waht your referring to but do not want to download the wrong thing thanks......

I agree, I like Bob Mackey (Mackie?) much better than Parrish. I skipped this one though, not much retro about it to me.

Another great Retronauts show! Scary games. Though no one ever mentions 2 of my PS1 faves, Echo Night & Juggernaut. Not "scary" but def. creep factor. POTENTIAL WARNING: host said listener(s?) want MORE Kat Bailey. Yikes.

also heard/caught up all Indoor Kids shows. Decent scary games show there too. Retro is mentioned just enough to hold my interest, but talk always returns to modern FPS :(. Hosts are energetic, almost hyper. B-list celebs & comedians are guests. (Who'da thought Aisha Tyler was so foul-mouthed? Didn't make it thru that one) Oh, & the Paul Scheer show is rife w/ errors. (The NES robot is Gyromite? The 3D NES racing game is Ridge Racer? Hmm...)

also re-listened to Mobcast #105 (retro show) since it's that damn good.

Edited by RJ

• 3 weeks later...

Operation Killscreen is decent, though another "youtube"-centric podcast. Host goes a bit too morning zoo w/ the sound effects, but listenable. At least there's a cute-sounding female who seems to be the most knowledgeable of the 3. Just enough retro talk to keep me listeninng.